996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

HELP! car wont start after car wash!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Acmw will become famous soon enough
HELP! car wont start after car wash!

Hey guys, my 02 cab wont start after i took it to the carwash , i got the car washed drove a block pulled over turned it off for a second and now it wont start back up. I put the key and turn and the car has power , dash lights and radio comes on but the hood or trunk wont open with the button, the car will not crank though , The alarm is also not working , i lock and unlock the door manually and the alarm does nothing. Key FOB doesnt do anything either... HELP PLEASE!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:16 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Ignition switch?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
LO_996tt will become famous soon enough
This happen to me 2 times with my turbo. All the electrical started to error out then I was in limp mode. Alternator does not like water... it dried out and all was fine.

The first time I did not connect wash with the electrical issue--but the second time I realized the high pressure brushless wash put too much water into the engine bay.

From then on no more car washes for me.

Last edited by LO_996tt; 06-09-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Acmw will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by LO_996tt
This happen to me 2 times with my turbo. All the electrical started to error out then I was in limp mode. Alternator does not like water... it dried out and all was fine.

The first time I did not connect wash with the electrical issue--but the second time I realized the high pressure brushless wash put too much water into the engine bay.

From then on no more car washes for me.
thats what i told my friend . he took it to one of those car washes and said it wouldnt start after , its been a day and still nothing , i will try again tomorrow in the morning , but the car doesnt do anything dash lights come on and radio works but it wont do anything after that

Old 06-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I would use compressed air or a leaf blower and get everything dry first then he will need to jump the battery.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Also I would make sure it is jumped from the rear in the engine bay.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:32 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
No car should have a problem going through a car wash. It's not like we're in the 70's with points. That said, I would never put my car (especially a cab) through a car wash. Hand wash your car or have someone do it. Protect the finish and it will look new forever. Take it to the dealership and see if they can find your exposure. Again, no car in the last 20+ years should have a problem with water blowing by the engine bay. Just keep direct exposure (like an undercarriage washer) off your electrical components.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Brushless (water jet only) washes have high pressure sprayers that spray across the deck lid and the under carriage. As you know 911 have vents on the rear deck lid, unlike other cars, water can and does get into the bay when under high pressure. I know this from experience. I had the same issue the only 2 times I went through a wash like this. Never before and never after.

The belts can get wet causing them to slip on the alternator. The electrical components can use up the battery fast if it is not getting adequately charged from the alternator.

I am curious to see if they were able to get it started with a jump.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
omarresto is on a distinguished road
you can open your hood through your drivers side wheel well. The hood latch cable runs behind the plastic guard. Pull on the cable towards the rear and that will open the hood. That way youll have access your batter if you need to replace it, charge it or jump start