996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 convertible top cover interest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
996 convertible top cover interest

Hi all,

No one I'm aware of makes an indoor/outdoor convertible top cover for the 996/997 Cabriolet, and I'm investigating whether there would be enough interest among Cab owners to justify the initial costs associated with making a new pattern and initial run. The source for these would probably be through Covercraft, and would be similar to ones made for the Boxster. A feature of these covers would be built in door pads which would help prevent damage from door dings, etc.

I believe a reasonable retail price point for these would be $160 - 180.

Would you Cabriolet owners please help me out by indicating whether this would be something you'd consider buying to protect your top and interior from sunlight and the elements?

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks for your help,
JB

Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Not me but thanks.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM
cerg82 is on a distinguished road
Good idea; why not?

Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
personally, a car cover would make sense since it'll protect the car too.

the top is so easy to open and close that a partial cover doesn't make that much sense to me anymore. but just my 2 cents.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road
Love it if the price is right. Right now I'm using a blanket with soft flannel on one side and nylon like material on the other (concert blanket so you won't soak up water. Cover the top from the front window to over the back seats. In medium winds it does blow up or in. Let us know...good idea.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road
As far as opening and closing. I don't like to do it too much. Seems like with all those moving parts and rubbing that the less you do it, the longer it will last. That is why I toss on my "concert blanket". Easy, fast, keeps bird crap and dust out of the seats....good and quick option. Simply yank it off, shake it, throw in the back and you're gone.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM
ericyingling is on a distinguished road
Yes JB

if that is the price then I am interested.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Gonzo911 will become famous soon enough
Nope. But to be fair, it sounds like a good idea for some parts of the country.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I have thought for a while that a nice cover that protects the interior from direct sun when the top is down would be nice. I'm have no need for door ding protection as I park away from any tight parking lots. A nice ****pit cover would be nice though. Please keep me posted if this develops.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Interior covers (top down) are already available at around $110.00 a pop from several sources. Autoanything.com has them listed.

The interest level I need to gauge (to justify pattern development by Cover Craft) is for a top cover (top up). From my ownership and use of these on my previous two Boxsters and M Roadster, the advantage over a full cover is that a top cover is easier to install and remove, takes up much less room in the trunk, dries more quickly if wet, and doesn't abrade the paint like a full cover does at times. The design I used also had dense foam pads in pockets on the side which protects from most doors dings. The top covers can be used top up or top down (windows up).

Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned
For those who are interested...

I finally found a company which makes top covers (they call them "bonnet covers") for around $110 in a lightweight "windbreaker'" type material, and they seem to be great people to work with. They also make interior covers for when the top is down for around the same price.

www.autochic.com

I saw their ad in Panorama.

Here's a shot of my recently acquired '08 C4S in macadamia metallic with terra cotta interior:

Cheers!
JB

Attached Images   

Last edited by JB in AR; 07-23-2012 at 04:59 PM.