996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Selling my C2, getting frustrated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Hamid996 is on a distinguished road
Selling my C2, getting frustrated

Hey guys. I have had my 01 C2 for sale for a couple of months. No rush to sell, but I have to move it as my wives pregnancy progresses. I have been riddled with low ball offers and time wasters. KBB is $21k for excellent, and I am now under $20 not mentioning all the mods.

Is this just nature of market right now. It had 95k miles but its been as reliable as my first car, a Maxima, or other daily drivers like my FX. Here is the link. If you know anyone or have any pointers.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=90503010&aff=national&CMP=use dInv

Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks pretty solid to me with a good options package. Pricing looks spot on for the California area.

If you can hold out, I would wait for the right buyer to come along.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Thank you sir. Got some good bites for weekend

Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
TraderJoe will become famous soon enough
That's a steal, is it on the marketplace on this site? GLWS.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor
VSmotorsports is on a distinguished road
That is definitely a great deal, I would just wait. Everyone is looking for a bargain, hence getting low ball offer. Just wait it out and stay firm on price

Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by TraderJoe
That's a steal, is it on the marketplace on this site? GLWS.
Yep, I have yet to have a person from 6speed reach out though surprisingly.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM
hyper911 will become famous soon enoughhyper911 will become famous soon enough
Crazy cheap IMO.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The car looks nice. Good luck with the sale.

Generally, most people believe that you won't get anything for mods at the time of sale. I believe this is generally true, although the aero package and the wheels on your car will certainly appeal to many buyers.

I think your biggest issue is the mileage. As Porsche owners, we know that higher mileage isn't really an issue for these cars. The uninformed public, however, will typically seek out the lowest mileage car they can find. In my market (I know, markets are different) there are a couple of 2001 cars for sale with mileage in the 40K range that are listed in the high 20s. Even though these are a little bit more expensive, I'm sure people are looking at them. There's a stigma attached to the 100,000 mile mark. People seem to believe that your car simply won't go any further once you pass this mark. We all know it's rubbish. A real car guy who understands the truth is the type of buyer you want, not just some knucklehead who thinks this is his big chance to finally afford a "Porsch" and gives you a lowball offer.

I'd just stick with your plan and wait for the right buyer. It will happen...

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Retail maybe $21k.
Your selling Private Party...
$18k would be closer for me.
Mods are always a turn off for me, just sends the Racing/Tracking message
Turn it back to stock you might be better and sell your mods.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM
sk2929 is on a distinguished road
In the ad you mention your wife is preggers - That is leverage for the potential buyer.

How long has it been listed?
How many price changes?
How low is a low ball offer?

Maybe part it out, and take the low ball offer.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah, the 100k mark is scary for those not knowing. Sold all stock gear, so will see how it turns out. The baby better get used to that back seat quick

Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Another thing you might want to revise in the ad is to emphasize the factory options as well. To some buyers, the factory options are more important than the aftermarket ones.

At the very minimum, you should state the obvious factory options(to us enthusiasts) such as carbon fiber package, shift know, Porsche crested seats, etc. Can really tell whether you have heated power seats with lumbar support, Xenons, factory clear side blinkers, factory rear wing/sideskirts/front aero bumper but if you do, you should def state those items as well.

Another thing you can do to revise your ad is the service history in more detail as any Porsche close to 100k miles can concern a lot of potential owners knowing how expensive it can be.
Checklist to mention if service as been done for these somewhat major items are:
- Brakes(pads/rotors/how much life left in them)
- How often Oil changed and with what oil
- Any RMS or IMS work done before
- AOS and Water Pump changed before?
- How much left in the tires
- Coolant been serviced? Has cap or coolant tank been replaced at any point?

I feel these are the main sticking points that would concern potential buyers.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Another thing you might want to revise in the ad is to emphasize the factory options as well. To some buyers, the factory options are more important than the aftermarket ones.

At the very minimum, you should state the obvious factory options(to us enthusiasts) such as carbon fiber package, shift know, Porsche crested seats, etc. Can really tell whether you have heated power seats with lumbar support, Xenons, factory clear side blinkers, factory rear wing/sideskirts/front aero bumper but if you do, you should def state those items as well.

Another thing you can do to revise your ad is the service history in more detail as any Porsche close to 100k miles can concern a lot of potential owners knowing how expensive it can be.
Checklist to mention if service as been done for these somewhat major items are:
- Brakes(pads/rotors/how much life left in them)
- How often Oil changed and with what oil
- Any RMS or IMS work done before
- AOS and Water Pump changed before?
- How much left in the tires
- Coolant been serviced? Has cap or coolant tank been replaced at any point?

I feel these are the main sticking points that would concern potential buyers.

Great advice. Thought pictures told story but you are absolutely right as many are getting into their first 911.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 AM
hyper911 will become famous soon enoughhyper911 will become famous soon enough
I have a contrary view and like mods, if tasteful and not over the top. Stock P cars are not exactly exciting, especialy an early 996 IMO. I think your car is done right and there are others out there who will think the same. $18-20k is still very good value even with the miles for such a car (assuming it looks as good in person as the pictures, paint to me is very very important too). Agree with others on maintenance, ths to me is critical and reflects how you treat the car as an enthusiast, mods or not.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by hyper911
I have a contrary view and like mods, if tasteful and not over the top. Stock P cars are not exactly exciting, especialy an early 996 IMO. I think your car is done right and there are others out there who will think the same. $18-20k is still very good value even with the miles for such a car (assuming it looks as good in person as the pictures, paint to me is very very important too). Agree with others on maintenance, ths to me is critical and reflects how you treat the car as an enthusiast, mods or not.
I'm same as you. I was looking for a car that already had a couple of tasteful mods in place so I didn't have to spend $ doing it. Thankfully, the Work wheels, K&N, and GruppeM exhaust came with the car, was fortunate there. But that was me 5 years ago. As I"m looking for a E55/63 now, I'm sort of leaning towards bone stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Selling my C2, getting frustrated