996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Difficulties selling my 02 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
drewthere is on a distinguished road
Difficulties selling my 02 996

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice... I've been trying to sell my 996 for about two months now on and off. I posted it on craigslist had some initial bites and lowball offers but nothing close to selling the car. I then went on vacation drove the car for another month and posted it back for sale on Autotrader. About a week ago my autotrader ad expired and I all got were either low ball offers or solicitations from dealers.

The Ad I have up now is the following.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/3265577410.html

Could you guys give me some pointers on what could make my ad stand out or things to point out. What to say? I've just realized that I never updated this craigslist ad to mention the major things that have been replaced recently like the transmission, coils, etc. I will do that again shortly.

What do you guys think about my asking price? I've posted it for 23k even went down on Autotrader to 22k thinking that someone will try to negotiate the price down to 21k. Realistically speaking is 21k too much to ask for? I feel like my car is in top shape and of course I'm the one that knows it and values it more than people offering 15k.

In my local market all the ones I see are going for over $25,000

Any suggestions on how to market my car or how to get it sold?

Thanks,

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 10-10-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: active link
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
MiamiC70 is on a distinguished road
I think high milage scares potential Porsche buyers.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 PM
rrrruben will become famous soon enough
Your ad looks fine. It's the mileage. To be honest, if you can get $18K, take the money and run. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
You're overpriced for the year and mileage. Those "lowball offers" are probably pretty close to market value. I agree with above, 18k would be reasonable

Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
D3UTSCHBAG is just really niceD3UTSCHBAG is just really niceD3UTSCHBAG is just really niceD3UTSCHBAG is just really nice
I just picked my 00 C2 with 103k on the clock for 14k...don't want to scare you but if you check with excellence magazine they will actually sell for as low as 15 when there is high mileage.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM
thankswww is on a distinguished road
Wow, USA prices on these cars are a steal. For what the apparent market value is, why don't you just keep it as a weekend car?

You also might want to get a 3M headlight restore kit and make the headlights nice and clear again, so it doesn't have that worn look.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
My $.02,

Considering you are in Miami where the weather is warm year round and everyone wants some bling, I'd hold steady around 20k if you can afford to do so and don't need the money right away.

It's all in the marketing. First you need to revise your ad and second get it out to many channels as possible(ebay, autotrader, cars.com, etc, car forums, etc).

For any high mileage exotic, you'll want to detail all the maintenance that's been done and what kind of maintenance to expect in the near future(if any).

If you have any maintenance/repair records, mention that.

Mention clean car fax if it has one.

Mention any aftermarket items added to the car.

Let the buyers know if it's leak free, you might want to address any RMS/IMS issues, updates, maintenance, condition

You didn't mention how many previous owners.

Be specific with the mods, you just state generic terms like Short Shifter and Wheels but don't specfiy what kind.

You don't specify how worn the brakes/tires are.

If you ever got the clutch done and how many miles ago.

"Aero Package" is a bit misleading as a true aero package usually entails an upgraded rear wing as well.

For $15, you can get the 3m DIY headlight polishing kit. This is one of the things I think holds people back on the high mileage cars(front road rash/pitting on bumpers, windshield, headlights).

Maybe get rid of the pumpkins and invest $40 to make it also look more presentable and up to date.

You have 26 pics but leave out Trunk and Engine bay shots.

There's probably other things that can be improved but just going off the ad and not knowing about your car specifically, I feel this is a decent list to start with.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 AM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
Honestly, stand firm on pricing. Try other services besides Craigslist and be patient. If you keep dropping the price, people will assume there is something wrong with it (ie. Salvage title or Hurricane U-boat). I agree on posting a clean title and Carfax (if that's the case). Good luck - we may all be in your shoes one day!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh and to address the nationwide audience instead of just Miami, you might want to state pickup services if you're inclined to pickup your potential buyer from the airport. This makes things easier and more appealing for out of town buyers.

Also you might want to let buyers know if you're willing to take your car to their choice of place (nearby) for a PPI(they pay for it of course).

Also state if you have a clean title in your hands.

When I bought mine, I had to go to the seller's bank and spend extra time trying to get the title from them.

But around here at least, low to mid twenties seemed to be the average for '02 with those miles.

Another factor is that winter is coming up for people in other parts of the country so generally sales on leisure items are generally soft and more strong in the spring.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

And thanks to you Alpine003. I appreciate the specific pointers on the sales ads.

I don't know if people know the difference between 99-01 and 02-04 and think its the same car...

Either way 14k for a 00 seems like a great deal but doesn't mean that mine is worth 16k or 17k

I'm holding firm on low 20.... I haven't seen any 05+ for less than 35k even with high mileage....

Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Our website Global Autosports is a marketplace for buying/selling luxury & exotic cars.

For package pricing check out this link: Sell Luxury & Exotic Cars online

Global Autosports.com was created to optimize our client's online car marketing experience by targeting a specific audience, the pre-qualified luxury car enthusiasts who truly appreciate high quality automobiles. We currently advertise on all the major car enthusiast forums, national car club magazines and Google of course. We have an A+ rating with the BBB so you can be confident you will receive the highest level of exposure through our network.

You can sign-up online or call our customer support team @ (866) 507-2700

Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I sold my 2002 996 Speed Yellow with TONS of upgrades (carbon fiber EVERYWHERE, painted console, yellow seatbets, 997 wheels, new tires, yellow brakes, immaculate interior, OEM Turbo Bumper, maintenance OCD (book of records included)... car looked new, drove better than new... sold it for $15,000. If you can get $18,000 for a regular 2002, take their money. As a side note, I bought my 2005 997, black with sport chrono package and factory painted red calipers for $35K in Tampa. It had 45,000 miles.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
I sold my 2002 996 Speed Yellow with TONS of upgrades (carbon fiber EVERYWHERE, painted console, yellow seatbets, 997 wheels, new tires, yellow brakes, immaculate interior, OEM Turbo Bumper, maintenance OCD (book of records included)... car looked new, drove better than new... sold it for $15,000. If you can get $18,000 for a regular 2002, take their money. As a side note, I bought my 2005 997, black with sport chrono package and factory painted red calipers for $35K in Tampa. It had 45,000 miles.
I think your car was definitely the exception(I'm still bitter that I didn't buy it. ) It depends on if the owner wants to move it really fast or not. There are always great deals that get snatched up really fast but there are also fair deals out there that eventually sell to the right buyer. Like they say in real estate, you only need the one right buyer.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I think this thread is doing me no good

Joel these are extreme cases I think and that 997 was one hell of a deal... But maybe relative since you sold your 996 for 15k.

I know cars depreciate but man.. at 15k I'd drive it till the engine blows up and keep it to have a father/son project in 20 years.

Last edited by drewthere; 10-10-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: proofread
Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I am in the market for a 996 Cab. I saw one for $23k with 83k miles. That seems to be the going price in CA. $18k would be great price and $15k would be a steal.

I advise you monitor the market and sell it at the right time. Market was good earlier this year and in recent 2 months has taken a dive. Since the car is not depreciating much anymore, either keep it or sell it later. You'll probably make more money holding on it until time gets better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difficulties selling my 02 996