Notices
996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PSM/ABS warnings - Need Help

Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by up-n-over View Post
The 20" wheel/tire combination that is on the car has the same diameter as stock. What is the problem with this? The 3.8L engine is a Porsche crate engine.

Yes the car is modified, but I am getting the same codes as many non-modified 911's that have posted up with the same problem.

I am a first time Porsche owner that is asking for help. You are apparently an angry old man that has nothing better to do than run your mouth. If it is so important that you inform potential buyers about the horrors of buying modified vehicles, then make your own thread.

Whoops... A little touchy arn't we haha.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM
pete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond reputepete95zhn has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by up-n-over View Post
Removed the K&N air filter assembly and installed an European GT3 airbox. The 5525 code has disappeared, but I am still getting the 4440 Code and the ABS/PSM warning still comes on.

What is involved with changing the steering angle sensor?
Steering angle sensor is located on -actually around- your steering column, to replace it your steering column must be removed. They might go bad, as all electronic devices. You've tried already to do the calibration, but do you know is your steering correctly aligned...wheels straight with steering rack centered and steering wheel straight?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 AM
up-n-over is on a distinguished road
The problem is solved. It turns out that the problem was a bad MAF sensor which was caused by using an over oiled K&N air filter.

The actual cause of the problem was hard to identify because I had installed the MAF almost as soon as the troubles began, and the code instantly came back. As a result, I dismissed the MAF as the problem.

When I actually figured everything out, I was watching the Durametric when the ABS light on the dash illuminated, and saw the MAF code turn on at the same time. This caused me to dig deeper into what would cause an instant failure of the MAF.

I cleaned the MAF sensor and guessed that the cause was the filter oil so I just removed the actual filter and drove the car without it. No problem. I then put the filter back on, and almost instantly got a MAF code. I then cleaned the sensor one more time, and installed the GT3 air intake, and no more problems.

I probably could have just washed the K&N and lightly oiled it and everything would have been ok, but I didn't want to risk a future repeat...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and helpful information.

Last edited by up-n-over; 03-19-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:47 PM
spawnywhippet has a spectacular aura aboutspawnywhippet has a spectacular aura aboutspawnywhippet has a spectacular aura about
I bought a 2001 996 C2 with K&N filter, sports exhaust but otherwise unmodified. It has the PSM / ABS / Airbag lights all on, plus the fuel gauge is not working and the front trunk release mechanism clicks but will usually will not pop open.
I scanned the codes with my Durametric and get the following:

Bosch Digital Motor Electronics Motronic 7.2
Current Fault Codes
P1571:
Porsche fault code 39 Immobilizer

ABS/PSM 5.3
Module Identification
Part Number 520.996.618.15
Supplier Part Number
Current Fault Codes

Airbag B05
Current Fault Codes
49:
Belt buckle, passenger
3:
Supply voltage

Automatic Air Conditioning H01
Current Fault Codes
31:
Fresh air blower fault

Does this look like an ABS sensor, passenger belt buckle wiring and fuel sender unit are all bad? Anything I can check before I throw a load of parts at it?

Old 03-21-2019, 07:18 PM
1colbrz is an unknown quantity at this point
So what do you think the 4440 code was all about?