996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

C4S Grand Tourer mod suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Oliver the 911 Congrats on picking up a great looking C4s, love the white

Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
I also had a whirring sound coming from the back and it was $100 belt tensioner bearing on the tension wheel.
Try and repack the tensioner bearings with Polyrex EM grease. ($5 at grainger)

Dynamat Extreme is great stuff and highly recommend lining under the rear seats to minimize engine noise. That or turn on some jazz!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM
blown is on a distinguished road
When I bought my C4S about 1.5 Years ago I also found the car loud, it slowly became more and more annoying to drive.

At first I did't think much of it, I just thought that it's because it's a sports car and the tries are wide.

I then replaced the tires thinking that was the issue and I was wrong, So finaly I replaced the wheel bearings and what a difference. The car is supper quiet, it honestly made the world of a difference.

I recomend listting closely to see if the noise is coming from the wheel bearings at all. I tried all the other tests:
1. Jacking the car up and moving the wheel to see if there is any play,
2. Swerving side to side to see if the noise went away and neither test worked.

Good Luck with teh car

Love the color!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by blown
I recomend listting closely to see if the noise is coming from the wheel bearings at all. I tried all the other tests:
1. Jacking the car up and moving the wheel to see if there is any play,
2. Swerving side to side to see if the noise went away and neither test worked.
Generally the wheel bearings have to be on it's last leg for these tests to show something. Or else the noise would only show up when there is a lot of load placed on them for semi-worn bearings.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Oliver the 911 is on a distinguished road
Very interesting on the wheel bearings, even if unlikely that is easy enough to check that I might as well.

I think the tires are still noisy as all get out so I am thinking of going Hankook V12's and keeping the Pirelli's on the rack for a rainy day.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM
SoCal GT3 will become famous soon enough
Congrats on the new ride...I just finished my stereo mods on my C4S. At least now I have better sound, handsfree bluetooth, and a good nav systme now!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Anyone know what it costs to replace wheel bearings? Not against doing it myself but it will take longer to get done (don't have my own garage in Manhattan)

I saw a thread from forever ago that was $100 per bearing, $250 in labor per side - does that sound right?

Thanks,
Logan

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
There might be a few people that have a better understanding of the labor cost but $250 doesn't seem outrageous from a dealer or highly repeatable shop but does seem high. If you are thinking about doing the bearings yourself, Click Here for more information on the different ones we offer.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Thanks ECS this is great - I am considering doing it myself since I need to adjust my e-brake and could kill two birds with one stone there (neither seem overly complicated) but I need to find out where to get the tools to pull the bearing.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor
Thanks ECS this is great - I am considering doing it myself since I need to adjust my e-brake and could kill two birds with one stone there (neither seem overly complicated) but I need to find out where to get the tools to pull the bearing.
Anytime, let us know if you need anything else. The bearing can usually be pressed out with a regular press. Porsche has a a tool that makes it easier, but it's really expensive. If your going to do it yourself, I would contact a local machine shop or car shop that does it and see when and what they would charge to press the old one out and put the new back in before you get started.