997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cross-country Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM
lazyseoul is on a distinguished road
Cross-country Road Trip

Hey all,

I am about to embark on a cross-country road trip from NYC to San Francisco in October. Maintenance was recently done so I know my brakes, tires, fluids are good to go. I also got the car wrapped in a clear bra to protect the paint as much as possible.

What i want to ask you guys are:

As always, thanks in advance!

Old 09-07-2015, 05:33 AM
      cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
      Sounds like fun. I did Fla to NY when I got my car. My only concern is the lack of a spare tire. So check the spare repair kit and compressor. I also carry a tire plug kit. It s just my phobia as those tires are not available as standard sizes are. I also carry a quart of oil. I have never used either item, LOL.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 AM
      manishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud of
      +1 to spare kit - I did a 1,700 mile top down trip last Sept. from OC - Vegas, Zion, Sedona, Grand Canyon and back. It was a blast. On my way from Zion I made a key mistake of not stopping at the McDonald in search of a better place and realized that the next restaurant was 200+ mile and at 9 PM that's not good. So here are few other things
      Good music (Sirius works), water, health bars, safety knife and fill up the tank when you are down to the last quarter plus check the oil.

Enjoy it'll be a blast

Last edited by manishdutta; 09-08-2015 at 10:24 AM.
      Old 09-08-2015, 11:59 AM
      barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
      just out of Nam, used 70 Plymouth Duster, 6 banger.. D.C. to Sacramento in 4 days..driving at least 12+ hrs a day,70+..stop to sleep..no problems..took #80 all the way..i know 2 days of driving thru Nebraska, damn that's a long state,,never turned the wheel once.. good luck

Old 09-08-2015, 02:18 PM
      ogun228 is on a distinguished road
      To your first question: if tires are good and brake pads ok, then just carry 2 quarts of engine oil and that's it; well maybe make sure you have checked the windshield wiper reservoir and topped off if needed... It's a car and an above average one in reliability. Don't fret the trip. Enjoy it.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM
      kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
      man, nothin like a road trip...and in a porsche...the only thing a vw bus might have on you is the instant nap possibility, other thathat....well, priceless..............................!

ENJOY...!

Old 09-08-2015, 02:45 PM
      Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
      http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8914

did a 6000 mile roadtrip in my GT3 dallas to Seattle and back. Had no problems.

My advice. Take a plug kit, a portable 12v compressor, and 1-2 fix a flat cans as a last resort in case of a flat. Dont take oil. There is oil at every gas station on your way. If you want to take oil, double platic bag it to avoid a possible leak.

The grand canyon is a grand dissapointment imo. Its over crowded and youll gaze out into it for about 10 minutes and be done. Not worth the hasstle. I went last year.

I say go straight across to oregon and take hwy 1 all the way to SF. Much better than SD to SF

Old 05-03-2017, 09:06 AM
      maverick1715 is on a distinguished road
      Just came back from a road trip with the 991 GTS. One word - EPIC!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:38 AM
      Astur will become famous soon enough
      Buy one each of these and keep them in your glove box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAPLUG-ULT...-/291779493574

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-Outd...3D381756055491

I bought 4 of these multi-tools. One for each of our three cars and one that I permanently put in my check-in suitcase for when I travel. Surprisingly and in lieu of their low price, the quality and construction is exceedingly good!