996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Wheel seals destroyed bt powder coaters?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
greggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the rough
Wheel seals destroyed bt powder coaters?

Spent an hour reading guys... My apologies in advance if this is a re-hash violation (I do try):

Just got my 19" OZ's back from the powder coater. Saw the obvious damage to the seal at about wheel center interior. Took them to the tire shop for the inaugural mount of my $2k worth of Tire Rack tires (don't get me started) with fingers crossed. Told them to keep them overnight to see if they sealed. No such luck on the rears. They're peeling them off today and I'm tasked with the resealing job I guess. Went on the OZ site and see that I'd be writing a question to Italy so haven't yet. Before I attempt silicone on my own I figure I'd run the question by the experts? Thx in advance... Gregg

Last edited by greggatkinson; 01-22-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: "by" the powder coaters!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I would love to help you, but I have no idea what your talking about.
When you say "seal" are you referring to the bead? What kind of damage?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Yikes... sorry to hear about that. I have heard that powder coating is a high-temperature process and that it can easily damage wheels and/or weaken them if the temperature isn't precisely regulated during the process. It sounds like you may have run into that problem. Hopefully the powder coater will do the right thing and reimburse you and/or replace the damaged wheels.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM
greggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the rough
I was afraid of that FLA996TT and apologize for being vague. Here goes...
The SUPERLEGGERA is a 3 piece wheel as you know. The barrels join and the factory seals them with what appears to be a wet painted on seal in the assembly/manufacturing process. Powder coating has it's way with that seal. When you look at the backside of the wheel it's pretty easy to see what I'm talking about. The bead seal is likely not the culprit after being evaluated by the tire guys. Assuming I can just run a bead of something with success, it shouldn't be too tough. Hoping that someone on the forum has been through it (I know this must be the case).
Clear as mud?

Last edited by greggatkinson; 01-22-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Yikes... sorry to hear about that. I have heard that powder coating is a high-temperature process and that it can easily damage wheels and/or weaken them if the temperature isn't precisely regulated during the process. It sounds like you may have run into that problem. Hopefully the powder coater will do the right thing and reimburse you and/or replace the damaged wheels.
Thanks Dennis and true, but that's not it this time...

Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by greggatkinson
I was afraid of that FLA996TT and apologize for being vague. Here goes...
The SUPERLEGGERA is a 3 piece wheel as you know. The barrels join and the factory seals them with what appears to be a wet painted on seal in the assembly/manufacturing process. Powder coating has it's way with that seal. When you look at the backside of the wheel it's pretty easy to see what I'm talking about. The bead seal is likely not the culprit after being evaluated by the tire guys. Assuming I can just run a bead of something with success, it shouldn't be too tough. Hoping that someone on the forum has been through it (I know this must be the case).
Clear as mud?
Roger that! I would imagine they could be re-sealed, perhaps you could take the to a race shop for help?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Great minds... As you see from the photo in my avatar I've owned a fair number of various things for the track. My guys will be good resources moving forward. Still dreaming about direct expert experience from the community though!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
yellowbull is infamous around these partsyellowbull is infamous around these parts
You need to find a wheel manufacture that does that. There is a place in new Rochelle ny called proformance that does that. I have had many repairs done by them. I'm sure u can send him your wheels and they will fix them properly. Ask for Mario 914-654-1010 hope that helps

Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM
yellowbull is infamous around these partsyellowbull is infamous around these parts
You need to contact a a place that manufactures their own wheels. Call Mario at Proformance I'm sure u can send him your wheels they are located in New Rochelle NY. The number 914-654-1010 I have had many repairs done by them. The power coater was supposed to disassemble before power coating and reseal after.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
The place that did the powder coating was supposed to break the seal power coat the wheels and rebuild the wheels when u bake the power coat on it melts the bead

Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Roger that! I would imagine they could be re-sealed, perhaps you could take the to a race shop for help?
I'd like to hear what the factory says! I know powder coating can damage things if not done correctly but I would have to think the factory would have engineered in some tollerances given the high propensity for owners to mod.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by yellowbull
You need to contact a a place that manufactures their own wheels. Call Mario at Proformance I'm sure u can send him your wheels they are located in New Rochelle NY. The number 914-654-1010 I have had many repairs done by them. The power coater was supposed to disassemble before power coating and reseal after.
A solid response and I appreciate it Yellowbull. Another example of learning the hard way. I'm too old for this.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by yellowbull
The place that did the powder coating was supposed to break the seal power coat the wheels and rebuild the wheels when u bake the power coat on it melts the bead
Given this...I would say a speed shop or good wheel shop could do the repair for you. This IMO should be an easy fix, just make sure the shop KNOWS what they are doing as I imagine if they rebuilt them incorrectly they could throw the wheels out of true.
If it were me...Local Porsche dealer or experienced indy as alot of indy shops also race.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know OZ's process or composition but BBS uses rubber seal rings sandwiched between the barrels.

I would call Damon at Tire Rack and he should be able to get you some help. He's not only the Porsche tire rep there, he's also an owner.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Btw, with as much lateral forces the wheels see, I wouldn't chance just trying to stick silicone in there. The really need to be taken apart and reassembled all PROPERLY torqued.
Ask me how I know...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel seals destroyed bt powder coaters?