996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Will a 2005 rim/tires fit on a 2002 narrow body?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 AM
roadsession is on a distinguished road
So pfbz - if I go with a 7mm spacer where do you recommend I buy it and what lug bolts do I need to buy to account for the extra space?

thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by roadsession
So pfbz - if I go with a 7mm spacer where do you recommend I buy it and what lug bolts do I need to buy to account for the extra space?
I spent a while looking at different spacers and bolts companies on the web, read a bunch of threads, and asked questions to a few vendors.

Some of my notes are below. Please double-check everything as it pertains to your car!

Spacers:
  • The best spacers will be machined, hub centric, wheel centric, and have an outside diameter the same as the hubs on the Porsche (~160mm).
  • Thin spacers (7mm or less) often are not wheel centric, as the standard centering ring is long enough to protrude through the spacer.
  • Some spacers come with new bolts, most do not.
  • Less spacers (eBay) will typically be made in China and not machined, anthough still hub/wheel centric.

Bolts:
  • On my 2002 C2, the stock wheel bolts are 14x1.5, ball seat, 27mm shank length, 19mm head.
  • If you want to use a 7mm spacer, you should use an approximately 7mm longer bolt. You might not find the exact size, and can go up a bit or down a mm or 2.
  • If you are using Porsche wheels, they typically use a ball seat. Many/most aftermarket wheels need a cone seat.
  • Bolt quality seems to differ quite a bit... The cheapest aftermarket bolts are I believe Chinese and what is typically available on ebay for cheap. European bolts, typically italian, are next. These are typically of the two-piece design similar the Porsche OEM bolts and available in black or bright zinc. There are also German bolts in a matte metal finish, both in one and two piece design.

Sources that I think offer good choices for spacers and/or bolts.
  • rss.rpmware.com (US machined, black or bright, kits include bolts, resold by various vendors including Suncoast).
  • www.otisincla.com These guys sell high quality euro bolts in blak and zinc at great prices. They also offer italian spacers that aren't wide enough on the outside to match the hubs.
  • www.radusadirect.com Same importer as above, but a diffrent web site with different product line. High quality german bolts, both 1 piece and 2 piece, in matte finish. They also offer machined US made spacers that match the hub od.
  • www.hrsprings.com Nice spacers (I presume german made), sold without bolts. Best prices seem to be on Amazon.
  • www.race-studs.com If you want to convert to studs instead of bolts, these are your guys.
  • www.motorsport-tech.com These guys machine their own top-quality spacers. They also sell euro bolts and can provide everything as a kit.

Last edited by pfbz; 03-05-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
pfbz - YOU ARE AMAZING (insert I'm not worthy bow)

Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 AM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Fyi, Porsche has an OEM 5mm and 17mm spacer kit that fits our car perfectly. No worrying about correct bolts, hubs, etc. I have both and am happy.

My old 997 rims with stock 997 tires fit my 996.2 with no rubbing and no spacers. I'm curious what alignment settings were used by pfbz that caused rubbing. I did think the front 997 rim looked ridiculous and certainly needed a spacer aesthetically which is what I eventually did

Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
woody6 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ersel
I have a narrow body 2002 with 18" and was looking to buy a 2005 18" wheel/tire combo.
Will this fit?
Here's my 2000 996 with OEM 2005 wheels and tires. No spacers, no fuss, no issues.

--Woody

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sally.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	221341  
Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by woody6
Here's my 2000 996 with OEM 2005 wheels and tires. No spacers, no fuss, no issues.

--Woody
Thank you.
There are TONS of post with 996 owners running 997 wheels/tires including me. If the newbs did a simple search , they would know this and not have to ask these q's over and over again. Rant Off.

Hell FWIW, I'll be running 245 tires this summer on the fronts and 295 rears.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Another question to those who bought 7mm aftermarket and 5mm Porsche spacers.
Do the 5mm Porsche have wheel centric flanges or is completely flat.
Does the actual hub have enough of a flange that protrudes out that you don't need the wheel centric flange on 7mm or thinner spacers? I keep reading of people even with 7mm spacers having vibration problems with the completely flat disc...