996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Transmission fluid change

Its time to change the transmission fluid. I have read in other threads people are using Delvac Mobil 1 75W-90. Is that a good oil or should I stay with the factory oil. Is there anything else I need to know besides draining the fluid and using a hand pump to pump 2.7L in there? DO I need to change any washers is there a filter of some sort? Should I change any other oil since I got the car up stands?

Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 PM
BigDaddy will become famous soon enoughBigDaddy will become famous soon enough
Did the same last week....bought 3l of 75W 90 Transmission-Oil. Let the old oil out of the transmission. You should pump new oil in the transmission till it starts flowing out of the input. the screw is on the left side of the transmission when u look from behind to the front. Its kinda tricky but my bottles of oil had a long hose so you could stick that in the opening after removing the screw.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
I've been contemplating on doing this as well but I'm not yet sure whether I have already addressed the leaks. I think I need to replace my RMS first before I can do this. I might just waste the ATF oil.

Here is a good DIY article on Pelican for this mission. It's a little laborious ad complicated but I think this is the right way to do it...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...uid_Change.htm

Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 AM
rb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to behold
It an easy task. Just make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain the oil.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
996_911C2_Dhru is on a distinguished road
Also to answer your other questions. Only change the oil if it is due. At $7-9/quart don't change it simply because it is raised up. If you are close to due, then knock it out.
I use Mobil 1 0w-40 which is $7/quart at Walmart.

Also you should replace at least the drain plug crush washer. They are cheap and can be found at the dealer or cheaper online. I would replace both personally. Also your oil crush washer is a different size than the trans so you should replace that too. I went with Redline NS and have been happy. I changed every fluid I could think of at once. Oil, Trans, Brake, Coolant and Power Steering. My car is old but with low miles (2002/26k)

Good luck and like me you will find your car to drive better even though it is all in my head

Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 AM
In my research I found that you shouldn't fill the 996 trans until it starts spilling out but rather hand pump in a measured 2.7l. I did the latter but I'm not sure if I'm right or you should fill to spill-or if it doesn't matter.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys. I also have read not to fill till it spills out but measure 2.7L. I have also read people were also changing their differential oil as well. Has any one done that?
Brake fluid? Does that go bad? It is only pressure piston pushing back and forth it does not heat up or has any moving parts. I would figure the piston rubber seal to go bad. I have never heard of people changing their brake fluid.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Fill the trans until oil starts to come out the fill hole. The trans/rear diff use the same oil, so there is no extra procedure for the rear diff.

Brake/clutch fluid is easy if you have a power bleeder. Here's a write up I did about it for Lambo's:
http://lambodiy.blogspot.com/p/bleed-brakes.html
**scroll about halfway down until 'bleeding', that's the same procedure as the 911

For the clutch slave cylinder bleeding, it's on the driver side of the transmission at the very top of the transmission.

This is what you're looking for:

Attached Images  

Last edited by white out; 03-24-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM
White out. Where is the rear diff located on the car? Also I was asking if the brake fluid actually needs to get changed. Is a power bleeder something I can pick up at a regular auto parts store or is it a specialty idem?

Old 03-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Your rear diff and trans together form a transaxle. Your trans fluid change takes care of both!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
White out. Where is the rear diff located on the car? Also I was asking if the brake fluid actually needs to get changed. Is a power bleeder something I can pick up at a regular auto parts store or is it a specialty idem?
It depends, if you track your car a lot, then you should change it frequently. If you just drive the car, fluid is good for . . . well I know cars that have never had fluid changed. But generally I stick to 2 year intervals on my non-tracked vehicles.
The speed bleeder I use is made by Motive. Just make sure you get a fitting for a Porsche (standard Japanese/Euro fitting) for it. I bought mine online, but I'm sure some local stores carry them.

Originally Posted by 996_911C2_Dhru
Your rear diff and trans together form a transaxle. Your trans fluid change takes care of both!
This.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Ok so just finished changing the trans oil. It shifts much better now, the oil was dark as onyx. Thanks to everyone that helped out and gave input.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:45 PM
Questions

Hi. I just realized that I posted on this thread 6 years ago which means my tranny oil change has been waiting that long. I have a 1999 996 C2. I got all the parts for this job years ago from Pelican and decided to do the job just now. Ive jacked up the car as instructed and initially I loosened all those rusted torx bolts around the tranny oil pan, fill plug and drain plug. I just have a few clarificatory questions for those who have done this mission:

1. Before I drain the tranny oil do I have to warm up the engine or it will be better if the engine is cold?

2. Everytime I go under the car to fill up tranny oil, I assume the motor is running. Will the car be running ON GEAR or OFF GEAR. I mean should the wheels be spinning while I do the topping up?

3. Just to confirm, everytime I top up while engine is running, are you sure ATF wont spill out? Approximately, in your experience, can you give me an idea on How many liters goes in every top up? How many liters do I need if I were to change the tranny oil filter as well?

4. Having no experience at all in filling the transmission with oil, Im kinda skeptic that oil will just spill out everytime I top up while engine is running and wouldnt be able to finish all the 12 liters I have. OR does the tranny sort of drink up the oil and spread it out into the gears eveytime
/before I top up?

5. Lastly, the picture of the tranny oil filter pictured on the pelican article looks different with the one I have. Did I make a mistake in ordering this oil filter Part #: 996-307-403-00 which has sort of a plastic air duct instead of the exposed filament. Is this the right part for my car? What is the difference between this 2 tranny oil filters? Pelican says these 2 can fit my 99 C2...

Hope to get some sharing of experience pls. Thank you.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 04-29-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
A Porsche 996 automatic is an expensive transmission to learn how to do fluid changes. My advice is to take the car to a qualified shop -- I prefer a dealer -- and let a tech change the fluid. He knows how to do this. With both my Boxster and Turbo (both manuals) I let the tech change the transmission fluid severals times over the combined 500K+ miles I drove both cars.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
A Porsche 996 automatic is an expensive transmission to learn how to do fluid changes. My advice is to take the car to a qualified shop -- I prefer a dealer -- and let a tech change the fluid. He knows how to do this. With both my Boxster and Turbo (both manuals) I let the tech change the transmission fluid severals times over the combined 500K+ miles I drove both cars.
Thanks Macster! I understand completely. However, where is the priceless sense of pride after a successful DIY in that?? :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change