Notices
996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Transmission fluid change

Old 05-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Macster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond reputeMacster has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket View Post
Thanks Macster! I understand completely. However, where is the priceless sense of pride after a successful DIY in that?? :-)
Squashed under the over bearing sense of failure when the transmission develops abnormal behavior from a botched DIY fluid/filter service.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:32 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Noted with thanks Macster.

Now I move on to the gear oil, NOT the tranny ATF fluid. Planning on vacuum pumping out the 20 year old gear oil and replacing it with 75w90 GL5 Liqui Moly gear oil. has anyone ever done this?

1. How many liters does the gearbox take? According to a Pelican article it's about 0.8 liter or 0.85 quarts, is this accurate?
2. Where is the fill plug located at? Is it the same location as a manual tranny - passenger side where the CV joint connects to the tranny?
3. Lastly, what tool do I use for this gearbox fill plug?
Thanks guys, Cheers!

Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Hi OP. Hope you dont feel I'm hijacking your thread. Just sharing and don't want to start a new thread on the same topic.

So I went ahead with the tranny oil and filter change DIY contary to the advise of many since I do not have a cost efficient way to do this. You see, my '99 C2 is a gray market import from the U.S. and the dealers are charging a $4,000 initial "acceptance fee" so they can service my car. Very prohibitive cost considering this car is 20 years old. I had an '06 Cayenne and now a Panamera S which I purchased from them and they've serviced both without any acceptance fees. I perfectly understand that this fee actually deters and discourages anyone from importing Porche cars to the country. Long and short of it is, I have to do my own servicing of my 996.

I followed the PelicanParts article and advise of some concerned netizens on how to do it and was successful in doing so. I started working on this last Friday May 10 @ 6Pm and ended at 3am Saturday - 9 hours! Sharing with you some learnings and things to watch out for not included in any of the DIY articles I've read:

1. The tranny holds a total of 12 liters but you will be able to drain only around 6 liters. Make sure you measure what you drained out. I used a big oil drain pan and transferred all the content in used oil containers. This gives you a gauge on what you should put back in. I was able to drain only 5 liters and maybe because I had a leaky drain and fill plug. It waited for 2 hours to drain the whole 5 liters and was able to pump back in 5.5 liters.

2. After re-installing the tranny oil filter and when you re-install the oil sump/pan and gasket back - it was very challenging to align the tranny oil pan while lying on your back, using 2 hands and inserting the torx screws back (you should really have 3 arms for this job!). I used a floor jack to support the tranny oil sump/pan so I could accurately align the gasket, the pan and insert the torx screws. There are 27 torx screws!

3. This is very important and this will make things easier for you: I have a handpump and I could not imagine having 2 hands on the pump while filling/topping up and getting ready to hand tighten the fill plug back in all at the same time. So I made this contraption:

For pumping and topping up oil through the fill plug hole, I suggest you make something like this:

I ordered this 12V motor pump online, mounted it on a board, installed a cig lighter plug connectors and a doorbell switch. With this, I was able to max out pumping/forcing tranny atf even if oil was dripping out of the fill plug, had one hand on the switch and my other on the fill plug while under the car.

4. Lastly, I realized that the transaxle gear is incorporated into the transmission so there is no separate drain or fill plug for the gear oil.

I have driven the car (like I stole it) right after the operation and use the car every other day since May 11. So far, no leaks and the tiptronic transmission shifts smoothly and correctly on both auto and paddle shifting. I think I've done the job correctly...I think.

My next move is to do another tranny oil change because I've noticed that the oil that dripped out of the fill plug while topping up was still dark in color. I will consider what I've done as a "flushing" step and will probably do it in a month or so.

Thanks for all the warnings and concern. That has made me more careful and proactive when I did the job. Very much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 05-20-2019 at 08:20 AM.