996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help: Convertible Top Stuck!?!?!?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
You guys should know that the top can be moved (providing all is well) from the drivers door key in the lock. Hold key to right and the top should move.. Same if you hold key to the left left. When mine would fail or flash on the dash, it would work from the door then all was well (for a time haha) Just a thought.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 AM
aërk is on a distinguished road
The simplest solution is often the one we ignore. My top would not operate and sure enough it was just the engine compartment door latch. Closed it and the top worked fine.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:15 AM
georgika is an unknown quantity at this point
911 top won't go down hood light on dash on even though closed

Thought might be fuse...turned out all I had to do was change the battery in my key fob. Everything works now and light has gone out.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 PM
Edsim is an unknown quantity at this point
Convetible stuck Windows won't do anything at all

Originally Posted by msalamza
I have a 2001 carrera 4 cab. I'm going through the same thing. My convertible top will not close all the way. I managed to manually ( and carefully) close the soft top. But the clam shell would not close, so I manually closed that too. I can tell its not closed all the way though because when I'm driving it sounds like there is a hole in the top or something and air is getting in. The convertible light on the dash is on as well. I have no idea what to do. Any ideas? I went to porsche and they said it could cost up to $12,000! I just paid that to rebuild my engine to I don't have any money left! The top is complicated and any help would be great.
first time here.dont know if I'm replaying correctly either.my Windows won't do a thing shell is in open position.just bought this car and now starting to work on it

Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mike 996C4
Whats up guys ... had the same problem last summer ... top went down, no problem ... when top was going back up .. it got about 12 inches away from the clam clamp and stopped ... I went to a local porsche repair shop ... guy tells me its the motor and the eye needs to be replaced ... $1000 bucks he quoted me ... I went home and squirted some WD40 in the eye area to clean it (thought it might be dirty) PRESTO! top goes back up no problem ... only thing is the red light for the top is on when I start the car ... once I actually start to drive .. it goes back off ... any suggestions?

I just been dealing with it because the top seems to be working fine ... rather spend the money on a new exhaust
what eye are you talking about.first 996 ever don't know enough about it yet

Old 06-22-2017, 06:51 PM
fpb111 is on a distinguished road
Windows won't do anything? None of the 4 windows work at all? Top up or down? Happened suddenly? Worked when you bought it?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mike 996C4
Whats up guys ... had the same problem last summer ... top went down, no problem ... when top was going back up .. it got about 12 inches away from the clam clamp and stopped ... I went to a local porsche repair shop ... guy tells me its the motor and the eye needs to be replaced ... $1000 bucks he quoted me ... I went home and squirted some WD40 in the eye area to clean it (thought it might be dirty) PRESTO! top goes back up no problem ... only thing is the red light for the top is on when I start the car ... once I actually start to drive .. it goes back off ... any suggestions?

I just been dealing with it because the top seems to be working fine ... rather spend the money on a new exhaust
when you said eye can you tell me what eye are you talking about,where is it,I'm having problems with my cab.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:23 PM
jifigcar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by msalamza
I have a 2001 carrera 4 cab. I'm going through the same thing. My convertible top will not close all the way. I managed to manually ( and carefully) close the soft top. But the clam shell would not close, so I manually closed that too. I can tell its not closed all the way though because when I'm driving it sounds like there is a hole in the top or something and air is getting in. The convertible light on the dash is on as well. I have no idea what to do. Any ideas? I went to porsche and they said it could cost up to $12,000! I just paid that to rebuild my engine to I don't have any money left! The top is complicated and any help would be great.
How absurd. The guy who told you that should be put in jail. If you have his name, you should report him to Porsche. That's the kind of crap that dumps the value of these cars. Of course reading internet forums is the fastest way to drive yourself crazy. They are all 99% bad news.