996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help: Convertible Top Stuck!?!?!?

Old 07-26-2005, 01:14 PM
lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !
Help: Convertible Top Stuck!?!?!?

When I was opening the top yesterday, the latch opened for 2 seconds, the back cover opened for about an inch and then everything stopped. Nothing moves and the light on the dash flashes when I press the button. I can't even close it.

Has anyone encountered this? Any advice would help before I take it to the Stealer/Dealer.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Check your e-brake....maybe the switch is stuck.....

Old 07-26-2005, 03:11 PM
CABRIO C4 is on a distinguished road
Also check if your rear engine hood is open.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:21 PM
lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !lceniza Is a GOD !
ok. thanks guys. i will check it tonight.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:56 PM
PeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud of
when I had that happend to me, the pump was leaking. They had to replace the pump.

Pete

Old 07-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Rick is on a distinguished road
Had a similar problem. Turned out to be a leaking hydraulic ram. $650 for a new one. When it failed, it torqued the cab top frame and broke one of the frame pieces...the arm that pivots on the body. Anyone else have that problem?

-Rick

Old 07-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Bobby G is on a distinguished road
Could also be something caught in the mechanism. Once, I left a squeegee on my roof, then opened it. The squeegee went right into the part of the roof that folds into the car and jammed it. Doh!

-Bg

Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Actually it could be as easy as the fuse blew or the elctronic control module came "unplugged". I discovered mine came from the factory with the wrong size fuses in it. You know how to check the fuse...to check the module I think you will need to manually move the body cover section and lift up the back of the top (instructions in the manual).

Old 07-29-2005, 12:47 PM
All fixed! The trunk lid was open, doh! My brother opened it and didn't close it all the way. I'm very happy not to have to fork out any cash to fix it. More mod money! I'm getting the chrome "911" emblem for the trunk lid and silver crest for the hood from Brandywine! I'll post pics when they arrive and installed.

Thanks again for all the advice! 6speed is awesome.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:10 AM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by CABRIO C4
Also check if your rear engine hood is open.
Good call. Smart!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 PM
msalamza is on a distinguished road
I have a 2001 carrera 4 cab. I'm going through the same thing. My convertible top will not close all the way. I managed to manually ( and carefully) close the soft top. But the clam shell would not close, so I manually closed that too. I can tell its not closed all the way though because when I'm driving it sounds like there is a hole in the top or something and air is getting in. The convertible light on the dash is on as well. I have no idea what to do. Any ideas? I went to porsche and they said it could cost up to $12,000! I just paid that to rebuild my engine to I don't have any money left! The top is complicated and any help would be great.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM
LC996 is on a distinguished road
Just happened to me!

Originally Posted by lceniza
When I was opening the top yesterday, the latch opened for 2 seconds, the back cover opened for about an inch and then everything stopped. Nothing moves and the light on the dash flashes when I press the button. I can't even close it.

Has anyone encountered this? Any advice would help before I take it to the Stealer/Dealer.
Just happened to me, went for a spin pulled back into the garage, pressed the button and nothing. Checked the hood and trunk, tried again all i got was a flashing light on the dash. I raised the tail and lowered it and tried the button again and it worked!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Mike 996C4 is on a distinguished road
Whats up guys ... had the same problem last summer ... top went down, no problem ... when top was going back up .. it got about 12 inches away from the clam clamp and stopped ... I went to a local porsche repair shop ... guy tells me its the motor and the eye needs to be replaced ... $1000 bucks he quoted me ... I went home and squirted some WD40 in the eye area to clean it (thought it might be dirty) PRESTO! top goes back up no problem ... only thing is the red light for the top is on when I start the car ... once I actually start to drive .. it goes back off ... any suggestions?

I just been dealing with it because the top seems to be working fine ... rather spend the money on a new exhaust

Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Mine is open and and won't close, so I can't even get to the system. I put in an updated control module the other day and it has been working fine for two days than this evening no movement. I have checked the fuse .

Old 02-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Alan Benians is on a distinguished road
help

Whats going on with porsche, mine has same problem, sounds like comon faults with roofs.

i have a 996 convertible 1998 c2

mine stopped working last year, i had :
fluid topped up, worked for 1 day then stopped,
rams checked no leaks,
replaced the rear latch mechanism,
swapped roof ecu with another car with working roof, still no good.
durametric software says every thing is working ok ie, brake, micro sensors etc...
im going crazy as ive spent a lot of money.

please help

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help: Convertible Top Stuck!?!?!?