996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Should I do it? Trade up to a 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:03 PM
caperss is on a distinguished road
Should I do it? Trade up to a 996TT?

My 02 C2S is getting long in the tooth with 82K on it but still runs and performs flawlessly. I was thinking of having Raby in Ga. do their magic and drive it without worry for a few more years. That being said there is a 01 996TT with 27K on it for about 40k near me. I really like my bucky but I'm hearing the call of the Turbos. Is it that much better experience? I have yet to drive one so I will wait to hear from some you who have. I'm sure the AWD along with the blowers will make a difference but is it worth the extra 15K? Before I'm done with Raby It will be about $5k. So is it worth spending that extra 10K? Should I do it?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:15 PM
fast996 is on a distinguished road
If its within your means financially, I say go for it!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
$10,000 extra for:
  • 82,000 miles -> 27,000 miles
  • IMS engine -> Metzger engine
  • 315 HP -> 415 HP
Not a hard decision, if the TT is in nice shape!

Last edited by pfbz; 07-19-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:36 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
I would go for the TT.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
All of the above.

Go and drive it, I'll be surprised if you don't buy it.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The C2S is quite a rare car, since Porsche never made one!

Seriously though, I think a TT upgrade would be great if you can find the right one.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
I did it, went from a 2002 C2 to to a 2004 TT Cab. You definitely will NOT regret the decision. The TT is just awesome.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:05 PM
The "s" was a typo oops! and that one sold but I am still going to look and probably buy thanks for the inpuy guys

Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I did the same. My 996 TT (2003) is unbelievable. I have GT30's in K24 housing turbo's ( Alpha 30's) and the car computer knows about that. I must say that I went back to stock exhaust . That was a better all around experience with reasonable volume under 3K revs and a glorious roar above that. But... as someone said... make sure you have the RIGHT one!! They are not cheap to maintain and repair.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM
I thought it was gone but its not! 2001 996TT with tiptronic. The seller still has it, bone stock, never raced 27K miles with aftermarket wheels. Never seen the track Everything is correct factory stock with all service records. This looks like just what I want. What should I look for when I go to take it for a ride?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM
HM1
HM1 is on a distinguished road
TT please

Old 07-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by caperss
I thought it was gone but its not! 2001 996TT with tiptronic. The seller still has it, bone stock, never raced 27K miles with aftermarket wheels. Never seen the track Everything is correct factory stock with all service records. This looks like just what I want. What should I look for when I go to take it for a ride?
Everything. It is just a used car so a thorough used car check out will go along way to id'ing any issues and helping you arrive at a better feel for the car's condition.

Start with a test ride. Visit the car cold and turn off the A/C. Start the engine. Note all warning lights come on -- especially the CEL! -- when you turn the key to on and go off when or right after the engine starts.

Listen to the engine. Get out and walk around the car as the engine idles. Listen for any abnormal sounds. Now the Turbo engine can sound a bit ragged upon a cold start but it should not knock, tick,or make any other scary noises. After a while the rpms should drop to near normal hot idle level and the engine should smooth right out.

Let the engine idle as long as you can. Ideally long enough to do an oil level check.

Have the seller take you on a test ride. Focus on the car. The route should be 15 miles and allow the driver to demo the car in a variety of scenarios.

City stop/go driving. Blvd cruising. Highway driving. Have the driver do a hard acceleration from stop up through at least a couple of gears. The engine should pull good from the outset and then really good when the boost comes on. Watch the boost display. You should see 0.7 bar but if the altitude is high where you are the boost could hit 0.8 bar even higher (but my experience is to hit 0.8 bar requires 3 or 4K feet above sea level while 0.9 bar requires 8K or higher above sea level.)

Back at the starting point continue to let the engine idle and listen again. Take the car out over the same route, drive the car the same way.

Back after this test drive then do a used car check out. Check everything. Lights. A/C windows. Spoiler. Hood latches. Wipers. I mean everything. Do a CP0 110 point check.

If you still like the car and believe you can buy it arrange to have the car PPI'd. This has the car in the air and checked for leaks. Radiators. Water pump. Transmission. RMS. Everywhere there is a hose, tube, fitting, connector, gasket or seal.

Have the DME engine run time and overrev counters read and their meaning gone over with.

Be careful. These are very good cars when they are in good condition but they can be a money pit if they require any real work to bring them into good condition.

If you think you are looking at a stinker, walk away.

Remember: There is always another car.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 AM
996_Driver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by caperss
The seller still has it, bone stock, never raced 27K miles with aftermarket wheels. Never seen the track
What do you do with a TT if you don't race it or take it to the track? Unless you live in Germany and the Autobahn is in your backyard, aren't these cars made for the track?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Have you looked at it yet caperss?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996_Driver
What do you do with a TT if you don't race it or take it to the track? Unless you live in Germany and the Autobahn is in your backyard, aren't these cars made for the track?
No they are not made for the track. They are a GT car made to allow one to cover long distances at speed, in comfort.

I use mine to commute 30 miles to work and back home again or take it on long road trips when I have the time.

It also gets used for grocery runs but not if I can help it as gas mileage is a bit lousy around town. Also the nose is low and I have to watch that $400 front air dam or I'll bust it up when pulling into and out of parking lots.

My Turbo has never been on a track and never will as long as I own it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I do it? Trade up to a 996TT?