996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Champion Wheels Vibration In Rain Because Of Groove On The Inside Lip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
trozenhorse is on a distinguished road
Question Champion Wheels Vibration In Rain Because Of Groove On The Inside Lip

Hi there....anyone have any feedback or hear anything about the inside groove in the lip on the Champion wheels....that traps water when it rains causing a severe vibration? Looking to buy some wheels and this is a major factor...as well any feedback on 18's versus 19's....and tire sizing on the 19's....thanks to the forum in advance......Ted

Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM
avninja is on a distinguished road
Details

I have the 19" champion RG5 Modular 3 piece setup and I can say that the inside lip does accumulate water during car washes. Now the one time I left the water there after washing, I did not experience and balance issues after driving. Or when it is wet out I don't accumulate any fluid there, want to know why?
Because if you forget to take an extra dirty shammy and absorb out all of the water you will find all of that brake dust laden water on the side of your fenders. Thus ruining your car wash.

So it really only takes an extra 10 seconds with each wheel for me to toss a shammy in there and collect any remaining water after the car wash and before moving.

Hope this helps.
Andrew

Old 08-16-2005, 09:00 PM
what happens if it rains out? vibration? how do the wheels look you have? what size colour and finish as i am looking at the exact same set...and what is your set up...size colour car model etc....thanks Ted

Old 08-16-2005, 09:01 PM
oh ya one more thing...are there porsche center caps to fit?

Old 08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
BDH
BDH is on a distinguished road
I have HRE's on 4 cars and they all have vibration problems in the rain.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:46 PM
that is what i heard today...they also have the groove on the inside that traps water....but check out the new HRE wheels...a few new models...no more inside groove...go figure.....

Old 08-16-2005, 09:52 PM
BDH
BDH is on a distinguished road
Good thing I live in So. Cal.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Wheels

Ok lets see here. I have porsche original center caps that fit the centers of the Champion wheels. Check the recent thread on eibach springs and 19" wheels to see a picture. Someone else posted a picture with champions as well.

I will have to do more rain driving, but from my rain driving experiences I have not noticed any wheel inbalance. I think the water is expelled from the groove at some point while the wheel is in motion.

At least when I wash my car, the first time I didn't figure it out, the majority of the water ended up outside the car.

But really, it is not that big of a deal for me. The wheels are so beautiful and all it takes is an extra 10 seconds of drying per wheel and its worth it for me. And I haven't had any inbalances yet.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 AM
thanks for the info...so you are over all pelased with them...what size are you running 18's or 19's and what tire size.....thanks in advance Ted

Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Originally posted by BDH
Good thing I live in So. Cal.
You can say that again.....

-Eli

Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 AM
can you tell me what you are runnig....this would really help me out....thanks

Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
size

check with champion, I'd have to check again
but I think
235/35 r 19 p zero rosso fronts
275/30 r 19 p zero rosso rears and I was told I could go 285

Yea, I have loved these wheels, no regrets. I just have to decide what in the heck I'm going to do with the rest of the body kit

AV

Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 PM
so you have 19's......no problems with the roads and pot holes and stuff?

Old 08-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
19" are no problem.... about the pot holes..... The thinner you go the more prone you are to damage.... But hey you got me so don't worry about those holes.....

-Eli

Old 08-17-2005, 02:26 PM
what does that mean? you fix em?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Champion Wheels Vibration In Rain Because Of Groove On The Inside Lip