996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

IMS Guardian - Sump Crack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 PM
maor is on a distinguished road
IMS Guardian - Sump Crack

Has this happened to anyone? Happened before I went away on holiday and just got around to posting about this now.

I had an IMS Guardian installed. There was a leak coming from the sump plug, on undoing the plug it cracked

It's been a couple of weeks now and I can't even find the plug to take pictures but it was all very weird.

Bought the kit from an official distributor in the UK like 6 months ago.

I remember installing it and definitely torquing correctly. Searching hasn't revealed anything though.

Are there spare plugs available?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:43 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Contact Jake directly at Flat6 and he should be able to sort you out.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
986WANG is on a distinguished road
Tightening the socket greater than 19lb torque will damage the sensor. Bad news.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Well the instructions clearly state 37ft....

Old 01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
IMS Guardian Jr installation instruction

http://www.theimsguardian.com/wp-con...structions.pdf

I bought the IMS Guardian Jr for my 2005 997. This was the instruction that came with the package. It strictly instructs to tighten the magnetic drain plug with the special socket (allowing wire to pass through) no tighter than 19lb/ft.

996 and 997.1 engines are identical. I don't see why the instruction would be any different. Porsche OEM drain plug needs to be tightened to 37 lb/ft. However doing so to the magnetic drain plug (hollow design) would crack the sensor and damage the module. Try reconnecting the wires after drain plug is in place. You should hear a long beep sound from the cabin to assure the system is in working condition.

Always talk to your mechanic about this IMS guardian Jr drain plug torque specification. One unlucky trip to the local Jiffy Lube / or any uninformed independent shop for oil change can easily damage the IMS guardian Jr module.

Last edited by 986WANG; 01-07-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Interesting, will take a picture of my booklet tomorrow

Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 AM
IMS solution Retrofit VS Solution

Perhaps its time to upgrade to the IMS solution and permanently solve the IMS engineering design glitch once and for all. Once my IMS guardian Jr start flashing and making buzzing sounds due to collection of metal particles on the magnetic sensor plug.

My next project (crossing my fingers and knocking on wood)

http://theimssolution.com

Retrofit VS Solution

Should I Apply The “Classic IMS Retrofit” Or The IMS Solution To My Engine?

One thing is for sure, if you own a single row IMS bearing equipped engine the only bad decision that you can make is not retrofitting the IMS bearing!

Choosing the Classic IMS Retrofit offered by LN Engineering or the IMS Solution isn’t a difficult decision. The choice basically comes down to the following factors:

A- Cost.
B- How much you love the car and how long you wish to keep it.

Its pretty simple to make the best decision in regard to choosing which form of IMS retrofit that you choose if you use the above factors as a guideline. With the Classic (single row) IMS Retrofit being rated at 50,000 miles of service and requiring proactive replacement at that mileage point, people who want to keep their cars forever have been looking for an absolute solution to the IMS Bearing failure issues. If you want to keep the car forever then the IMS Solution provides a lifetime of service, because the wear components are removed.

The IMS Solution also makes the most sense with reconstructed engines, like those developed and offered by Flat 6 Innovations. These are engines with all twenty-four documented modes of engine failure addressed in their composition. It only makes sense that Jake Raby and his team equip all their future engines with the IMS Solution as standard equipment. Why reconstruct an engine and utilize yesterday’s technology that is proven to be marginal at best? Prior to the IMS Solution being available all Flat 6 Innovations engines utilized the triple row IMS update bearing and to date none have failed or shown any signs of wear, but its still a ball bearing and therefore will never be as robust as the IMS Solution.

If you do not love your car, or don’t plan on keeping it forever, then choose the Classic IMS Retfofit Bearing from LN Engineering and enjoy the car for 50,000 miles.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
These are the instructions I received....

Tighten securely using the special socket included in order to protect the harness. Torque the sensor to a MAXIMUM of 19 Lb/FT!! The Magnetic Chip Detector Sensor will be permanently damaged and compromised immediately if tightened beyond the specified torque. DO NOT utilize the OEM torque value for the stock drain plug! We cannot stress this point enough!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Pfft, called my mechanic and he couldn't find the cracked sump plug.

Torqued to 37ft like the manual when it should actually be 19ft according to Jake Raby.

$120 for a new plug. Not sure who the developer/manufacturer of this kit is but least professional IMO. Can't even get your own instructions correct with the torque and then when it breaks it's ludicrously expensive for a new one.

Quick google and I wasn't the only one with a leak.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...g-leaking.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6km5.jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	324091