996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Chip advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 PM
pgvinter is on a distinguished road
Chip advice

I recently picked up my first 911, a 2001 C2 with a somewhat tacky Agency Power muffler and the PVC pipe intake plenum mod. The car is a ton of fun to drive and splits commuting and weekend duties with my 2006 BMW 330 and replaces a lightly modified 1998 M3 4 door. The 911 is by far the best of the three cars and is a huge upgrade over the 2001 Boxster S I owned a few years back.

My question is with the intake and exhaust bolt-ons is it worth spending $700 to $1,000 for a chip? Will I get back any of the low end lost thanks to the exhaust? Will there just be a bit more power up top above 4000? Any recommendations for a particular chip? APR and Fabspeed seem to have good reputations but does anyone have experience with either one or both? Also is it worth getting a reusable drop in filter for the stock airbox or should I keep using disposable filters?

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, I feel like I lucked out with most of the options on the car. It's Silver on Black with an Alcantara headliner, body color center console surround, e braker and center console. Manual seats. Premium audio with bluetooth aftermarket receiver. Very clean inside and out. Brand new Continental DWS no seas tires, cheap exahust, 18" turbo twist II wheels but which were unfortunately painted black on the spokes and silver on the lip creating a whitewall like effect. Clear turn signals. 3M film on the hood and fenders to reduce rock chips. Heated seats. 110k miles.

When I took it in for the PPI my mechanic said no oil consumption at all and compression between 200 and 200.6 on all six cylinders. Suspension is 100% solid. No leaks anywhere. LM Engineering IMS bearing upgrade, RMS and clutch at 94k miles. New water pump. New tires. Maintenance was all up to date. While I don't like the tacky rims and exhaust the up to date maintenance and a price of $17,500 made me feel like I lucked out. It's a blast to drive and I'm looking forward to owning it for at least a few years.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:15 AM
2000c2 is just really nice2000c2 is just really nice2000c2 is just really nice2000c2 is just really nice
Congrats on the purchase!!
I also had a 2001 Boxster S and traded up to a 2000 911 - I loved the Boxster, very trouble free and fun car but I don't miss driving it when I am in the 911.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:26 AM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Welcome and post some pics soon. Yes, I'd say you got a good deal!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Definitely glad that the deal seems solid. Wondering if anyone has advice on whether a chip is worth the money and if so which one to get with the mods currently on the car.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
A chip is not but an ECU flash may be. It's pricey so you'll have to decide. I've never found a desire or need. Chips are junk.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
There's quite a few flashes around....5-6 companies I believe with similar prices.
It does recover some of the lost low end associated with exhaust mods...It's really very minor though.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 AM
tokyopav is on a distinguished road
You'll get more bang for buck from a sprint booster. I have both flash and sprint booster.
No additional power just more of it quicker.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:05 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Welcome to the forum, and concrats with the car

I did the VR Tuning, in peakeffect it will propberly show 0 hp. But combined with plenum, exhaust, intake the car is faster. A lot faster than stock.

You will get a better trotthleresponse and a better qurve. To know the exakt effect you should messure the time from 60-120. Not so much the dynos peak.

The only cars you will c a good improvement on peakeffect on with a flash, is the turbocars.

My cars has 300 hp stock. With the the things above i can drive away from a 997 Gen2 C2 (non s). That car has 345 hp stock and a lot more torque. We have tried serveral times and mine is faster.

But, then again, its a lot of money for not a lot of HP.... If I had to do all the things over once more, I would 100% have gone for a superchargerkit straight away instead.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Good to know. Will a flash have any impact on the 0-60 times or only on acceleration at higher speeds? I know that the 996.1 is the lightest 911 made since the 964 but am wondering if the $700 or so for the flash is worthwhile and if it is likely to increase engine wear/the chance of cylinder scoring or other catastrophic failure.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 AM
tokyopav is on a distinguished road
My experience is no change to 0-60. Maybe a little revvier at 5-7000 rpm. Save your cash. Get a sprint booster. Makes the car feel completely different in a good way. I wouldn't hesitate buying one for any car I get.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pgvinter
Good to know. Will a flash have any impact on the 0-60 times or only on acceleration at higher speeds? I know that the 996.1 is the lightest 911 made since the 964 but am wondering if the $700 or so for the flash is worthwhile and if it is likely to increase engine wear/the chance of cylinder scoring or other catastrophic failure.

Dont think you will notice a huge (or any) diffirence 0-60 with just the flash. Maybe with all the other bolts on.

For me the big change is 40 - 140.

Regardning the wear you dont have to wory. We are talking about 5-10 hp more at some points in the entire powerband.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 PM
pmkazz will become famous soon enoughpmkazz will become famous soon enough
Save your money!!!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Unless the car is a Turbo (artificially hindered like 320i especially) then ECU changes are a waste. Sprint booster included.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:27 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
I recently picked up my first 911, a 2001 C2 with a somewhat tacky Agency Power muffler and the PVC pipe intake plenum mod. The car is a ton of fun to drive and splits commuting and weekend duties with my 2006 BMW 330 and replaces a lightly modified 1998 M3 4 door. The 911 is by far the best of the three cars and is a huge upgrade over the 2001 Boxster S I owned a few years back.

My question is with the intake and exhaust bolt-ons is it worth spending $700 to $1,000 for a chip? Will I get back any of the low end lost thanks to the exhaust? Will there just be a bit more power up top above 4000? Any recommendations for a particular chip? APR and Fabspeed seem to have good reputations but does anyone have experience with either one or both? Also is it worth getting a reusable drop in filter for the stock airbox or should I keep using disposable filters?

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, I feel like I lucked out with most of the options on the car. It's Silver on Black with an Alcantara headliner, body color center console surround, e braker and center console. Manual seats. Premium audio with bluetooth aftermarket receiver. Very clean inside and out. Brand new Continental DWS no seas tires, cheap exahust, 18" turbo twist II wheels but which were unfortunately painted black on the spokes and silver on the lip creating a whitewall like effect. Clear turn signals. 3M film on the hood and fenders to reduce rock chips. Heated seats. 110k miles.

When I took it in for the PPI my mechanic said no oil consumption at all and compression between 200 and 200.6 on all six cylinders. Suspension is 100% solid. No leaks anywhere. LM Engineering IMS bearing upgrade, RMS and clutch at 94k miles. New water pump. New tires. Maintenance was all up to date. While I don't like the tacky rims and exhaust the up to date maintenance and a price of $17,500 made me feel like I lucked out. It's a blast to drive and I'm looking forward to owning it for at least a few years.

as mentioned above you would need some distinctive upgraded to get the true benefit from a tune. If you did an ipd plentum, larger throttle body you would probably have a greater gain in power for similar costs.