996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What to look for in late model 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM
wcs_michfan is on a distinguished road
What to look for in late model 996

I've been researching the 997 for the better part of year and finding what I'm looking for is proving difficult for what I'd like to spend.

Soooo, just wondering if you fine people could tell me the major things to look for in a late model 996 (00-04)?? I know the IMS could be an issue, but any other major items to look for?? There a couple 2003's in my area that look really nice with around 60k miles on them that I'm thinking of checking out.

Thanks

Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
You could read the first posting down on this page http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/ Also buy the Essential Companion book and check out the 2004 model 996.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
That's a difficult question to answer. Do you want a cabriolet or a coupe? What about a Targa? Do you prefer manual or automatic transmissions? Do you want an AWD car or RWD? Do you prefer the wide body look or the narrow body look? Do you want a normally aspirated car or a turbo? Have you considered the 4S model? Will you track the car frequently? If so, then maybe a GT3 is in order. There are many, many options. Here's what I would suggest based on my experience and preferences:

- Don't buy a 996 without a solid PPI from a Porsche mechanic
- Don't buy a 996 without service records
- Give preferential consideration to cars that have had the IMSB upgraded/replaced
- Don't buy a low mileage garage queen
- Look for cars with the optional full leather interior (standard on C4S and turbo)
- Look for cars with Litronic or bi-xenon headlights
- Look for cars with the optional sport seats - they are very nice
- MK I cars (1999 - 2001) with the factory aero kit are very desirable
- The C4S (only available in MK II 2002 - 2005) is also very desirable
- The C4S cabriolet was only made in 2004, making it very rare and desirable
- Cars with Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) are very desirable
- Cars with the X51 engine upgrade are very desirable
- Cars with the M030 or X74 suspension are very desirable

For the money, the 996 turbo is one of the best performance car values on the market. It's sexy, fast and doesn't have the IMSB issue.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:11 PM
TSMacNeil is on a distinguished road
^^ That's a good list to go by for starters.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:35 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The list is a great place to start. However, a late-model car would be 2014 or 15.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dennis C
That's a difficult question to answer. Do you want a cabriolet or a coupe? What about a Targa? Do you prefer manual or automatic transmissions? Do you want an AWD car or RWD? Do you prefer the wide body look or the narrow body look? Do you want a normally aspirated car or a turbo? Have you considered the 4S model? Will you track the car frequently? If so, then maybe a GT3 is in order. There are many, many options. Here's what I would suggest based on my experience and preferences:

- Give preferential consideration to cars that have had the IMSB upgraded/replaced
- Look for cars with the optional full leather interior (standard on C4S and turbo)

For the money, the 996 turbo is one of the best performance car values on the market. It's sexy, fast and doesn't have the IMSB issue.

Great list, but one question!

Why: "- Don't buy a low mileage garage Queen" ?

Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough

Absolutely on the money with this list, thanks it's great and wish I had read this when I first started my search. Somehow, someway the P-car Gods were looking down and taking care of me. I ended up buying an 04 C4S Cab with PSE. I'm one happy camper.

Thanks Dennis for your contribution. One thing I might add is that the C4S Cabriolet was made in 05 also, but a very small number.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wcs_michfan
I've been researching the 997 for the better part of year and finding what I'm looking for is proving difficult for what I'd like to spend.

Soooo, just wondering if you fine people could tell me the major things to look for in a late model 996 (00-04)?? I know the IMS could be an issue, but any other major items to look for?? There a couple 2003's in my area that look really nice with around 60k miles on them that I'm thinking of checking out.

Thanks
Dennis covered I guess the options.

Beyond what options the car has what you want to find is a well maintained car, unmodd'd, with no stories and no issues.

By no issues I mean a thorough test ride then test drive turns up no issues. The engine starts and idles and runs fine. The car steers, brakes, shifts with nothing untoward going on. The route covers around 15 miles and gives the driver a chance to demo the car as you will use it. Then your test drive covers the same route and you drive the car the same way.

Back at the starting point, after the test ride/drive, then you do a full used car check out. Assume nothing works until you confirm it does.

Then if you still like the car and believe you can buy it for a sum agreeable to you and the seller, get a PPI. This should confirm the car has no body/paint work and no leaks or other things going on.

Whether the cars in your area are nice or not go check them out. Get some used Porsche check out experience under your belt. If you are easily tempted, leave your checkbook at home.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:54 PM
wcs_michfan is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for taking the time to put together this very detailed listing. This will come in very handy going forward.

There's an 04' cab 4s I'm considering, but the guy is asking a lot ($39.9 - in California btw). 54k miles. Two years left on an extended warrantee. Seems like I could go up to a 997 for a few thousand more. Here's the link to the car if you're interested. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...77132893&Log=0

Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Many people (me included) believe that a low-mileage garage queen is more likely to have issues than a car that has been regularly driven. Cars that sit develop problems. Seals leak. Fluids don't get changed (there's a time schedule as well as a mileage schedule). For example: brake fluid is hydrophilic. It LOVES water. If a car sits for years without having the brake fluid changed according to the time schedule (even though it's well under the recommended mileage schedule), the fluid can take on too much water. Lines can oxidize and corrode. This damages a car as much or more than too much mileage.

I agree with Macster's comments. A proper test drive will help you make the right decision.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:51 AM
rockyfd is on a distinguished road
Dennis great advice couldnt be truer!very low mileage cars can be troublesome due to lack of use,and in case of certain issues,porsche (if under warranty)wont cover it,yes thats right! to little mileage is not a good thing,a thorough service history and (PPI) those are what matter.......good luck, alot of nice improvements on the mk2 facelift 911s (2001-2004).most of the advice is solid ,however theres plenty of hyperbole about certain issues,IMS,low mileage cars,etc.after awhile you will figure out who knows there stuff....again good luck with your purchase

Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rockyfd
Dennis great advice couldnt be truer!very low mileage cars can be troublesome due to lack of use,and in case of certain issues,porsche (if under warranty)wont cover it,yes thats right! to little mileage is not a good thing,a thorough service history and (PPI) those are what matter.......good luck, alot of nice improvements on the mk2 facelift 911s (2001-2004).most of the advice is solid ,however theres plenty of hyperbole about certain issues,IMS,low mileage cars,etc.after awhile you will figure out who knows there stuff....again good luck with your purchase

Ok, I will put my neck out here but I am not sure I agree. A car should be driven, not just seated in a garage - no doubt about that. BUT my car for example is a lovmilagecar, ca 30 k miles on it, 2001 year model. Service every single year by the book, oil, brakefluid, belts etc tec. If i see a seal is starting to dry out and brake, I change it.

I drive the car only summertime only (cab), its flaveless in the paint, no leaks, the interior still looks like its brand new, and for that matter also feels like a new car. Never had a issue with her, and I am spanking the hell out of her every time I get a chance

I dont see why a potential customer wouldnt buy that car...

Old 08-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Most cars that sit in a garage and have very low mileage are not properly maintained, thus the issue with purchasing one. Your car sounds like an exception. Additionally, cars with "normal" mileage have typically encountered the common failures associated with that particular model and had them addressed. Finally, cars with very low mileage are often overvalued by their owners, making them more expensive to buy.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Sneaky Pete has a spectacular aura aboutSneaky Pete has a spectacular aura about
I have to agree with Dennis.....did I mention my car is for sale? ......shameless plug

Old 08-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Most cars that sit in a garage and have very low mileage are not properly maintained, thus the issue with purchasing one. Your car sounds like an exception. Additionally, cars with "normal" mileage have typically encountered the common failures associated with that particular model and had them addressed. Finally, cars with very low mileage are often overvalued by their owners, making them more expensive to buy.

I agree with you on the first thing. Ppl have a weird mind sometimes, thinking that if I dont drive the car so much or nothing at all, I dont have to do the service that the manufacture says. Its so wrong.

Anyway, I see your Point but I wil still claim that some lowmilage cars can be a good purchase, IF they are maintained well.

Regardnig the price, yupp you are right - we tend to do so hehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to look for in late model 996