996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

new car and my first porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:18 PM
996_717 is on a distinguished road
new car and my first porsche

total porsche newbie here. just bought a 1999 911 with less than 20k miles on it.

the cars seems to run perfect. it needs a few minor things, but what should i do or things to look for given the age of the car? are there any service items that should be adressed given that its older even though the miles are so low? its basically stock other than a cold air intake and what appears to be possibly aftermarket exhaust.

thanks

Old 11-10-2014, 07:54 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome and congratulations. The first think I would do is begin your relationship with your dealer. I would take it in and have it completely gone over making sure your fluids are good. I would have the brake fluid, coolant and oil changed so you know the baseline on their condition. Then, get to know it and enjoy.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 PM
996_717 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by denversteve
Welcome and congratulations. The first think I would do is begin your relationship with your dealer. I would take it in and have it completely gone over making sure your fluids are good. I would have the brake fluid, coolant and oil changed so you know the baseline on their condition. Then, get to know it and enjoy.

totally agree. talked to gaudin porsche in Las Vegas. they blew me off, told me they dont work on cars more than 10 years old. guess being the only dealership in southern NV they have plenty of business. they did refere me to an independent shop.

im taking it in for an inspection. i know NOTHING of the nuances of these cars, so any pointers is appreciated. I am an electrical engineer, have a chassis dyno, and am heavily involved with motorsport electronics, just have no experience with porsche.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:52 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Welcome! What Steve said.

There is a good book out on Amazon, "101 Projects for your 996 Porsche" get it, it's a good DYI reference. Also Pelican Parts has good tech info.
The Porsche is basically no different than any other car, except, there is a lot of stuff crammed into a very small space.
On the fluids, use the Porsche approved stuff.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:56 AM
JD ARTHUR is on a distinguished road
I also just got my first Porsche. It also has under 20000 miles on it. I also live in Las Vegas. Mine is a 2000 C2 coupe. My name is Dave. Give me a call when you get a free moment 592 8052.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:08 AM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
Congrats to the OP and also JD Arthur. There seems to be a few very low mileage older 996's out there, can i ask what sort of prices you paid for these barely used cars?

My suggestion is to find a good indy rather than a main dealer, get one thats recommended tried and trusted.

Also, post pics of your new treasured machines.......we like to see and admire.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JD ARTHUR
I also just got my first Porsche. It also has under 20000 miles on it. I also live in Las Vegas. Mine is a 2000 C2 coupe. My name is Dave. Give me a call when you get a free moment 592 8052.
You may want to remove your phone number. You might not want the international crowd to get a hold of you. Use private messaging aka PM to share private info to individual members.

Otherwise, congrats to both newbies! I'm 11 months in myself. Pictures please!

Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
One word: DRIVE

Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alpine003
One word: DRIVE
+1 Congratulations and welcome to the 6 Post up a few pictures when you get a chance of this beaut!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:33 PM
538AWHP is on a distinguished road
congrats! very low miles.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:16 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
FWIW get working on your DIY skills unless you don't mind spending on labor. What you save on DIY pays for all the equipment you will need, plus some. DIY work gets you acquainted with your car plus you know that everything has been covered correctly. You are both coming up on your 30000 overhaul and you can bet your **** that nothing has been done on your cars with such low mileage. My advice right now is to change all fluids and drive your cars. They have obviously not been driven and stood as garage queens for far too long.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:42 PM
JD ARTHUR is on a distinguished road
After reading about some of the bad luck some have had with the IMS and the damage that it can cause I wasn't interested in driving mine until it was replaced. My thoughts were I can just drive the car and wait until metal is found in the filter and then have the bearing replaced. The problem with that is that the bypass filter does not catch all the metal so by the time metal is found in the filter some amount of damage has been done to all the different bearings the oil goes to. I could just drive the car and maybe the bearing will never fail or cause me any problems. My car is a low mileage (18000) car that has had fourteen oil changes, one each year since new, maybe its still fine I thought. On the other hand many have said that these low mileage cars are even more susceptible than high mileage cars to IMS bearing failures. For me with my personality the best thing to do was to send the car to Jake and have him inspect it and upgrade it if it was possible. It turned out to have absolutely no signs of any metal in the sump or anywhere that Jake checks before he does his IMS upgrade. His shop will have it done soon and shipped back to me. I will drive the car feeling just fine about it. The shop and Judd and Jake have been great to work with and they explained to me every day as to what was happening and answered any question I could think of.