996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Oil Pan Baffle Kit - Motorsports or BreyKrause

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 07:36 AM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
996 Oil Pan Baffle Kit - Motorsports or BreyKrause

I have a 996 I run at the track. With slicks, PSS9's and a new lightweight flywheel I'm getting around at brisk pace. I have heard there can be problems with oil starvation at high G's. One of the tracks I run has a mini version of the Nurenberg Ring complete with the high backed U-turn. Very High G's!

Any know if the Brey Krause kit is good. What about Porsche motorsports kit? ANy other options -

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:33 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
well the BK kit is just a spacer right? correct me if i am wrong, but all it does is uses the oem baffle and increases the volume by a quart. funny thing is that it still doesn't address the oil scavenging/starvation problems. the oil level is still at the same level before the BK spacer was put in. i guess it would be better if you overfilled a bit to raise the level.

i'm still thinking of doing an accusump. the accusump maintains retains max oil pressure in it's reservoir (3 quarts @5bar) and releases it when it senses a drop of pressure within the engine. with the NA i think there's room but i am scratching my head regarding where to put it after i have my supercharger installed. i guess i can put it in the cockpit but it would be friggin HOT. time for more head scratching.

-or- you can go the factory route and do the motorsport scavenging mods that is incorporated in the x51 power package. it requires machining and sending parts to porsche.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:50 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Actually you can't get the 'kit' anymore, but you can get all of the components sep. The machining is actually minor, any machine shop can easily handle the job. DJ996 just picked this up, sure he will chime in here.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:30 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by C4S Surgeon
Actually you can't get the 'kit' anymore, but you can get all of the components sep. The machining is actually minor, any machine shop can easily handle the job. DJ996 just picked this up, sure he will chime in here.
kewl! he got the whole x51 kit? that's sucks that you can't the oiling portion only.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:48 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I wish I had the whole X51 deal, I have the oil starvation kit. The 3.4 oil starvation kit is no longer sold by PMNA, but I was able to source all of the necessary parts from Germany via Suncoast. The kit includes a dual stage scavenge pump, suction tube and new oil pan with aluminum baffles. The oil pan also looks to be a little deeper as well. This is a very high quality kit. The machine work is no big deal at all, basically drilling and tapping a hole.I will try and get PMNA to do it, if not any machine shop can handle it.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 10-13-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
DJ996,

Can you please post the part numbers if you have them or give me the name of the person at suncoast that can assist me.

How much by the way -

What do you think about adding an extra .5 gt of oil.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:55 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Racerjsz,
Here are the part numbers for the 3.4 motorsports kit, the kit is also part of the street ROW X51 option.
Pump: 996.107.980.00
Suction Pipe: 996.107.984.02
Oil Pan: 996.107.310.8R {stamped on pan} (This was very hard to find, eventually I found this under the X51 oil pan PN 996 107 243 40), yes it is the same part.
13 hex bolts 900 .378 .035.09
The guy I dealt with at Suncoast was Ric Knab, it ended up costing less than what PMNA wanted for the kit a couple of years ago. It took a few months to get all the parts but it is definitely worth it.
I wouldn't add extra oil to the pan unless it was designed for it. Matter of fact, my mechanic suggested I run the level slightly low for best performance.
All in all this is the way to go, but if you can't get it, it's not the end of the world. Id like to know what the Grand Am Cup cars do about it , if anything. The BK kit can't hurt and it might help, the price is certainly right, it also includes some mods to the baffle.
Hope this helps,
Doug

Old 10-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Yes, it helps a ton! BIG THANKS DJ!

Old 10-15-2005, 08:59 AM
CoreyNJ is on a distinguished road
I have a 3.6, is it the same kit?

Also what was your $$$ part total in the end and did you have to remove the engine to install it or was there enough access underneath with the car on a lift.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:21 PM
The X51 option on the 3.6 includes the oiling upgrade, so I would pursue those part numbers. Expect to spend around $1K parts, labor will vary on the shop. The oil pan and 4-6 side cam cover must be removed.