996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Lights but no action

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 AM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
Lights but no action

morning all

Had the crazy fast flashing indicator issue yesterday which i figured i had a bulb out until someone flagged me down and said my main beam was gone too. Assuming 2 x bulbs dont just blow i imagine theres a wiring issue or connection issue. Looking on youtube to work out how to release the headlight lense it appears to just plug'n play, are these know faults and got me wodnering has moisture simply just got in or are these known issues with sockets/plugs? Spoke to a pal of mine who said 'just bang it one' and maybe add some vaseline??? I ran out of daylight

Any views & feedback is appreciated

Old 12-16-2014, 07:32 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Halogen or xenon? If Xenon, it's more on the rare side for bulbs to go out. It's usually the ballast that end up failing first. I would try swapping with the other side if that's the case.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:50 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Having the head lights completely out of the car. Check that the pins are upright in the connectors before you return them. The fixture has to be lined up perfectly or the pins will bend over when you are reconnecting and one or more of the bulbs will not light up. The pins can be made to stand up by very gently using long nose pliers on them.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by UrsaMinor1
morning all

Had the crazy fast flashing indicator issue yesterday which i figured i had a bulb out until someone flagged me down and said my main beam was gone too. Assuming 2 x bulbs dont just blow i imagine theres a wiring issue or connection issue. Looking on youtube to work out how to release the headlight lense it appears to just plug'n play, are these know faults and got me wodnering has moisture simply just got in or are these known issues with sockets/plugs? Spoke to a pal of mine who said 'just bang it one' and maybe add some vaseline??? I ran out of daylight

Any views & feedback is appreciated
The headlight can work loose. Had this happen once on a rough section of road to the point the headlight went dark.

It was my fault. I had the headlight out to replace a bulb at some point and just didn't get it back in secure. It is harder than it looks to get the headlight in securely so it doesn't come out on its own.

(In fact my Boxster got hit from behind -- not a hard blow about a 5mph impact -- which drove my car into the vehicle in front of mine. The same headlight popped out and had to be replaced as it broken the plastic when the headlight hit the pavement.)

Old 12-21-2014, 01:18 AM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
Im leaning to Macster's suggestion. I'll be honest due to work deadlines this last week i havent had a chance to take a look at the light since posting until last night, when i banged the light cluster with my palm the lights came on so i asume a dodgy connection. This morning i was back to one light again so had a little push/pull and the light cluster seems quite loose, i can grab the bottom near the seal and move it up a fraction and the lights come alive again. Perhaps it just needs to pull out and push in again correctly to allow it to seat right. Or maybe just needs locking back in using the tool.