996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Side Skirt Install...Quick Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 AM
33jacket is on a distinguished road
Side Skirt Install...Quick Question

I have a 2002 C4 Cabrio....going to put on MKII gt side skirts

on my car (maybe all 996s???) i have a rough textured painted strip where the side skirts would mount and cover along the bottom rocker of the car. This is OEM...I am not sure if all 996s have this our just C4 or what, but anyway my car has it....clearly porsche did this for wear and tear etc.

Here is my question....the side skirts would basically "tape" right over this textured portion of the car, and the tape would basically sit on the textured portion and the non-textured portion (there is a little lip where the textured portion ends)

I am concerned about mounting like this, first on a non-smooth surface, and second basically over this little lip.

Now, I know folks here with aftermarket installs must have had the same setup...any thoughts, any issues...basically is this how yours was done and its ok?

Just concerned before I get into this that mounting over this textured rocker strip is not an issue!!! thanks

Old 12-28-2014, 07:35 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Hi

Are the skirts oem? If so;

You just use the clips under the car that attach the skirts below the car, then you screw in the screw at the front loose, remove the 2sided-tape and mount the skirt to the car. Tighten the other screws in the back in the front and you are done! The skirt will align perfect, and stick really well.

Pics are from when i mounted mine on my cab. And yes I have the same rough surface

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	410692   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	410693   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	410694  
Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 AM
33jacket is on a distinguished road
Thanks

no I have not bought the skirts yet

I was thinking of going with either the poly ones from precision porsche or GT3Tek. Both attach OEM style from what I understand, although to your point they may not be the exact perfect fit as OEM, but I have heard good things about both brands regarding fit.

They both have that double sided tape as well...

my main concern was working around that rough surface so it appears that you did it just fine and didn't have to do anything unique! That helps alot!!!

thanks

Old 12-29-2014, 03:15 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Just make sure you install them with the 3M bond promoter and the proper temp. Also, the rear bracket might need adjusting where you drive the rear support screw. To hold the front I drilled through the side skirt and wheel well to install a Porsche plastic rivet. The front/rear supports eliminate any gaps and keep the tape from sagging in hot weather.