996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

EVO Supercharger Owners' Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:22 AM
RoverRon is on a distinguished road
D'Dog glad to hear your car will be home soon

I just dropped mine off at TPC to have their new system installed. I had the old one removed because I was thinking about selling the car and changed my mind. I'm going to add another to the stable and just have fun with this one. Are they doing any Dyno tunning on your car? If they do please post some of them. I will do the same with mine. I won't be getting it back for a few weeks though. While it is there im going to have the new JRZ's installed as well. I'm hoping to see 400 plus ponies to the wheels. I had 388 on the last system. Also I think it was you that said the blower whine drove you nuts it's not that bad. Or maybe I just got used to it.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:16 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Dog:

Glad your baby is (allegedly) coming home soon! I couldn't be enjoying mine more! Stupid fast and dead relaible. I know yours will be the same now that they have the kinks worked out.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:18 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RoverRon
I just dropped mine off at TPC to have their new system installed. I had the old one removed because I was thinking about selling the car and changed my mind. I'm going to add another to the stable and just have fun with this one. Are they doing any Dyno tunning on your car? If they do please post some of them. I will do the same with mine. I won't be getting it back for a few weeks though. While it is there im going to have the new JRZ's installed as well. I'm hoping to see 400 plus ponies to the wheels. I had 388 on the last system. Also I think it was you that said the blower whine drove you nuts it's not that bad. Or maybe I just got used to it.
wow, two blower installs. that's getting expensive i didn't see you selling your old on on here? did you at least get a few bucks for it?

seems like the new computer management for the TPC setup is a big improvement. i like what they've done there. if they ditch that 7th injector and go with 6 bigger injectors, they'll probably have a hit on there hands

the roots whine was too much for me. it was loud both inside and outside the car. my wife drives the car too. she definatley would not approve. like you said though, it's probably something you get used to.

no dyno tuning yet. already got quite a few runs under my belt for now. best being around 425 to the wheels. not too shabby. i've got the dyno charts posted somehwere in this thread. maybe when i get it back i'll throw it on the dyno again for giggles. not sure how much peak HP gain you'll see with the roots blower. they tend to choke out at high rpm. however, you'll definatley have me beat with your torque curve!! you can't beat the low end on the roots systems.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:26 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlooz
glad everything is ok. i would like to know the major install problems though. what was the cause of the overheated intercooler?
here's a short list of some of the things the tech and I discussed on the phone friday:

the DV was installed improperly, forcing it to be open most of the time
the IC water pump was wire tied on, they fab'd a custom bracket for it
the oil fill and intercooler fill lines were loose and had to be shortened as well as having brackets fab'd to keep them in place.
the intercooler resovoir plumbing was torn due to the orig. install and the whole resovoir had to be replaced
numerous issues with the vacuum lines and misc wiring
etc, etc, etc....

i didn't understand half the stuff he was talking about the list went on and on....

Old 06-26-2006, 01:01 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Glad to hear that you will have it back after 4 mo under surgery. That car ran like a monster. Hopefully you will get it back better than before. When will you actually get to drive it?

Old 06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
RoverRon is on a distinguished road
no big install charge coming

as far as the 7th injector.. think again they now use an 8th injector for a lower duty cycle. i understand some of what they are doing but not all. new computer is not a piggy back either which i really didnt like after hearing all the so called experts put them down.
there is a 996 there with a 997 motor making over 500 HP to the wheels that guy is sick.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by RoverRon
as far as the 7th injector.. think again they now use an 8th injector for a lower duty cycle. i understand some of what they are doing but not all. new computer is not a piggy back either which i really didnt like after hearing all the so called experts put them down.
there is a 996 there with a 997 motor making over 500 HP to the wheels that guy is sick.
i went and looked at their site. they don't offer a lot of details on there about the kits.

the new computer is still a "piggy-back" setup though. not the greatest way of doing it, but sounds like this piggy back setup is worlds better than their old one. not to mention much cheaper and less development time for TPC. win win for them with regards to the improvement of the kit and the safety for the engine. from what i read on there this piggy back works more closely with the stock ECU as opposed to "tricking it" like the old one did. TPC ought to just write GIAC a check and have them develop a "flash" software upgrade instead. that would really bring the calibre of the kit up.

still not sure whey they won't just install larger injectors and be done with it as opposed to these supplemental injectors? when i was going back and forth trying to decide, all the independent tuners i spoke to badmouthed the supplemental injector idea, basically calling it archaic and a cheap work around. hell if i know though. i'm not even close to a mechanic.

is the 500 RWHP car a 3.8 liter? i can't imagine they're getting that power out of a 3.6? it doesn't say one way or the other on their site.

the kit looks a lot better now in the pics. TPC looks like they're really working hard to further the development. i know i've said it a 1000x but wish i could get the Roots blower with the EVO software and fuel delivery. that would be sweet!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:08 AM
doing a little parts and dyno testing today on the car. just curious for reference, how warm does your intercooler (in the engine bay) get under hard runs? i'm at the shop now if anyone can provide me a quick answer.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deputydog95
doing a little parts and dyno testing today on the car. just curious for reference, how warm does your intercooler (in the engine bay) get under hard runs? i'm at the shop now if anyone can provide me a quick answer.

at the track, my intercooler gets very hot and the coolant actually boils over if i open the reservoir cap. it gets heatsoaked and heats up the coolant and the front radiator can't cope. i've installed a boost cooler and it controls the engine temps.

street driving it stays cool even after a few hard runs.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
warm to the touch...but not very hot, hard street driving.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
The reason you get coolant out the resourvoir when you open the cap is because of pressure and NOT because it is boiling. The coolant should never, ever get close to that hot.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 03-30-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
The reason you get coolant out the resourvoir when you open the cap is because of pressure and NOT because it is boiling. The coolant should never, ever get close to that hot.

well it does because the intercooler/radiator is undersized and i am at redline for 20~35 minute sessions not 1/4 mile jaunts. get yourself to a track and you'll see.

yes not boiling, but it's because of the heat the pressure increases. not boiling but the water is scalding hot.

like i said, it's stays cool for occasional hard driving on the street.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
well it does because the intercooler/radiator is undersized and i am at redline for 20~35 minute sessions not 1/4 mile jaunts. get yourself to a track and you'll see.

yes not boiling, but it's because of the heat the pressure increases. not boiling but the water is scalding hot.

like i said, it's stays cool for occasional hard driving on the street.
Well, that is more like it. Scalding temperature is a far cry from boiling temperture.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Well, that is more like it. Scalding temperature is a far cry from boiling temperture.
either way it is bloody hot and heat soaked.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Mother will become famous soon enough
Makes sense

either way it is bloody hot and heat soaked.
I think that the small size of the water reservoir and it also being in the engine compartment does not help any either .

Last edited by Mother; 03-30-2007 at 02:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO Supercharger Owners' Thread