996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 3.6 VF Engineering Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 AM
ianarm77 is on a distinguished road
I just picked up a used VF Supercharger with about half of the kit, so I will try to source the rest of the parts. What Fuel Injectors are supplied in the the VF kit? I need to buy some. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2016, 06:22 PM
2grand is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by trisgale
I have one on my 4s. Installed myself. Only thing that was somewhat difficult was accessing the Injectors. Very happy with the results.
Hello, I'm new to the site, and I'm looking to make my first Porsche 911 purchase. And it is the exact same one in Trisgale's profile! I'm glad I came across your forum! I test drove it yesterday, and that supercharger does add to the fun for sure! Is there anything you can tell me about the car? PM me, although I don't the minimum number of posts yet.

A little about me, I live in SoCal, and I love cars, recently started going to the track, which I love now. I have owned a 2002 Roush Mustang Stage 3 (supercharged) (sold), 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee lifted 4x4 (sold), now I drive a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4L Hemi. Looking to put a nice Red 2003 Porsche 4S with the VF supercharger in my garage...if all checks out with the inspection this week.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:05 PM
trisgale is on a distinguished road
yes that was my car, I bought it in sept 2009 with 38,000 miles on it at South Bay Porsche, clutch wore at 40K and I had a new clutch installed by Precision Motion in Riverside ( I think they moved to colton now). They didn't recommend a ims bearing change so I didn't do it. I don't know if the previous owner had it changed or if its the original.

I changed the oil 1x year every September Mobil 1 0/40 ( I never went over 5K/year) I think I averaged 2K a year because when I got rid of it, It had just over 50K.

I had xpel clear bra installed.

Misha wing was added,

HR club sport coilovers installed and corner balanced at Johnson Alignment.

I installed the VF kit at about 45k with no problems, also VF engineering is close to me so they used my car a couple times to update the kit, they remapped the ecu once, also they updated the injectors once when they were testing.

Right rear bumper cover near rear wheel I put clear wrap over some clearcoat that was peeling.

I traded car in at VW dealership, to get a GTI, I have kids that play hockey and needed a 4 door with space for hockey bags, although I have a minivan I wanted a sporty car to drive with the kids at times. Planning on going back to Porsche when my kids grow up.

The car was in great working condition when I traded it in. No problems.

Only thing I would look into is the spark plugs, when I installed the VF supercharger, I installed copper plugs, which do not last as long as the iridiums, etc, newer plugs. I would have them changed. its been about 5k since charger was installed and probably due for change.

Was supposed to be a weekend car for me but I go to my kids hockey games/practices almost every weekend.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:12 PM
trisgale is on a distinguished road
one more thing, you will need to pass smog, you will need a "guy".

Last edited by trisgale; 11-15-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:15 PM
cdiehl is on a distinguished road
I have a VF kit on my 04 4S. It's great so far, previous owner installed it and I was hesitant and first. It's been rock solid. I change the VF oil every 4 months, $25 a bottle so well worth it. When
you really push the car it's scary fast! Enjoy!!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:45 PM
yes that was my car, I bought it in sept 2009 with 38,000 miles on it at South Bay Porsche, clutch wore at 40K and I had a new clutch installed by Precision Motion in Riverside ( I think they moved to colton now). They didn't recommend a ims bearing change so I didn't do it. I don't know if the previous owner had it changed or if its the original.

I changed the oil 1x year every September Mobil 1 0/40 ( I never went over 5K/year) I think I averaged 2K a year because when I got rid of it, It had just over 50K.

I had xpel clear bra installed.

Misha wing was added,

HR club sport coilovers installed and corner balanced at Johnson Alignment.

I installed the VF kit at about 45k with no problems, also VF engineering is close to me so they used my car a couple times to update the kit, they remapped the ecu once, also they updated the injectors once when they were testing.

Right rear bumper cover near rear wheel I put clear wrap over some clearcoat that was peeling.

I traded car in at VW dealership, to get a GTI, I have kids that play hockey and needed a 4 door with space for hockey bags, although I have a minivan I wanted a sporty car to drive with the kids at times. Planning on going back to Porsche when my kids grow up.

The car was in great working condition when I traded it in. No problems.

Only thing I would look into is the spark plugs, when I installed the VF supercharger, I installed copper plugs, which do not last as long as the iridiums, etc, newer plugs. I would have them changed. its been about 5k since charger was installed and probably due for change.

Was supposed to be a weekend car for me but I go to my kids hockey games/practices almost every weekend.
Awesome! Thanks for the info Trisgale! I certainly appreciate it. You definitely took great care of it, and it shows. Yeah, it looks really clean in person, sounds great, and moves along for sure. The lowered suspension and rims look killer too! Did you ever have any rubbing issues with wheel up-travel on bumps and such or rubbing up front turning lock-to-lock?

It's my first time driving a Porsche and feels different than the American cars I'm used to. The steering wheel doesn't tilt it appears, and it seemed as if my legs just barely cleared the underside of the wheel. But I only drove it for 15 minutes and didn't really get used to it or adjust the seat enough.

The IMS bearing issue I have been reading up on, it sounds like a potential problem for the model year. The Porsche Inspector I hired tells me it is a valid concern, but over-hyped. Thanks for the heads-up on the spark plugs. I'll ask about it and see what he recommends. I believe it has 52,000 miles on it now, so it may be due for new ones.

Question on the VF kit. I notice on VF Engineering's website, they have 2 part numbers for the kit. One is for 420HP and other is for 470HP. Which one did you get? ....I contacted VF with some questions about getting more boost out of the blower with pulley upgrades, and they said they don't recommend it, and apparently don't sell a smaller pulley when I asked about it. It's funny because VF say they "over engineered" their blower to handle 20 psi, but they limit the kit's output to 6 psi. I guess they would know, since they designed it. ...but I notice I read somewhere on here that there is a 3.8" pulley and 3.6" pulley for the kit. I am trying to understand what these 996's can take powerwise before reaching it's stock internal limits. VF says it's already at it's limit with this kit. Any idea on HP limits? ...I guess I'll use the search function before I ask that, haha. My goal is to keep up with the Turbo 996's, because that's what I really wanted to buy...but then this exquisite 03 Red 4S came across my screen and I had to check it out! Glad I did!

Anyway, here's a picture of the Red beauty I took at the dealer yesterday. And that's my Jeep SRT in the background.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:59 PM
one more thing, you will need to pass smog, you will need a "guy".
Yeah, I kinda figured. But I needed a guy anyway for my SRT, as I have long tube headers and high-flow "kittens"!! Constantly have the exhaust banks 1 & 2 trouble codes lit up! But it sounds awesome...and even better when the dump valve is open and exhaust flow is straight thru!

Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by cdiehl
I have a VF kit on my 04 4S. It's great so far, previous owner installed it and I was hesitant and first. It's been rock solid. I change the VF oil every 4 months, $25 a bottle so well worth it. When
you really push the car it's scary fast! Enjoy!!
Excellent! Thanks cdiehl! I bet you enjoy the heck out of it!

Oil for the supercharger bearing needs to be changed every 4 months? really? I guess it's better safe than sorry, huh.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:09 AM
cdiehl is on a distinguished road
Recommend change every 7500 miles but for $25 I'll do it every 4-5 months, 30 minutes and 20 of that is letting the oil drain out so real easy.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Doug996InKC will become famous soon enoughDoug996InKC will become famous soon enough
@2grand, congrats on your purchase!

Originally Posted by 2grand
I am trying to understand what these 996's can take powerwise before reaching it's stock internal limits. VF says it's already at it's limit with this kit.
If you change the stock pulley, I wonder if the fuel maps would have to be altered too. As for the internals, you may want to ask Jake Raby @ flat 6 innovations.

On my most recent DIY service to the SC system, I noticed a bit of oil had accumulated in the bottom of the intercooler, from the positive crankcase ventilation. To clean it, VF recommended brake cleaner spray. I'm also going to install this oil catch-can -- http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html (also recommended by VF, due to it having large port bores). Have fun!

Last edited by Doug996InKC; 11-16-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by cdiehl
Recommend change every 7500 miles but for $25 I'll do it every 4-5 months, 30 minutes and 20 of that is letting the oil drain out so real easy.
Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Doug996InKC
@2grand, congrats on your purchase!

If you change the stock pulley, I wonder if the fuel maps would have to be altered too. As for the internals, you may want to ask Jake Raby @ flat 6 innovations.

On my most recent DIY service to the SC system, I noticed a bit of oil had accumulated in the bottom of the intercooler, from the positive crankcase ventilation. To clean it, VF recommended brake cleaner spray. I'm also going to install this oil catch-can -- http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html (also recommended by VF, due to it having large port bores). Have fun!
Thanks! @Doug996InKC

Boy, they sure are proud of their catch can for that price! Yikes. Haha

Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 AM
LuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud ofLuckyOnes has much to be proud of
Great info here. . . I have been putting a lot of thought into whether a supercharger should be in my future. Certainly wont help the value, but would substantially increase the fun.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:29 AM
derv88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 50k on my VF Engineering SC kit on my 996 C2 and it's great! I am starting a FB group also for peeps to chat about specific SC QA stuff. Let me know if I can be of any assistance!

-Jack

Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 PM
derv88 is an unknown quantity at this point
FB SC Group

Here is the group I started on Facebook for all things supercharged 911. Just set it up - so join up and help get it underway. Should be a good single source of info all in one spot for SC convos.

Porsche 996 997 Supercharger Guild

Can I post a link here? Seems to be arguing with me, but search on above name and you should find us.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 3.6 VF Engineering Supercharger