996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Requesting 996 Battery Help

Old 10-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Bobwombat is on a distinguished road
Requesting 996 Battery Help

My 2002 996 battery finally died & I wonder if the Forum has any advice re: any specific battery recommendations. Which to buy, which not to? Or, is a battery a battery?

I'd like to support my long-time Indy but can certainly install a battery myself from Auto Zone or wherever if there are no specific requirements/brand, etc. Looks like my preferred "Optima" brand doesn't make one for this model.

Any help is greatly appreciated & thx in advance to the Forum!

Bob in AZ/USA

Old 10-12-2015, 01:33 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Pep Boys has a Bosch battery, H6 premium 760cca 120min. Should be fine with this and the price is not bad.

Cheers

Old 10-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Many thanks, Bernard! Was hoping for an alternative to WalMart.... Appreciate the help.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Back to Bernard re: 996 Battery

Bernard, 1 more ? if I may.... Pep Boys has an AGM "H8" with some higher specs. The "H6 Premium" you noted is no longer listed. Would this still be ok?

Also, notes say "battery is vented outside the vehicle". Any guidance on this? I'm not home now to check if the battery box has a vent tube leading outside the front luggage compartment. Any thoughts?

Old 10-12-2015, 04:48 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
I prefer Interstate H7 790cca from NTB. & it comes with the vent hole. it's not cheap tho.

Last edited by MkC2S; 10-12-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:50 PM
C2S: Thx to you & Bernard for the quick help today. I'll also check out the H7 & also educate myself about the venting requirement.

Btw, still looking for something cheap for this car; figured even a battery would be pricey. Out here in AZ they last about 2 years on average before they fry.

Thx again, guys; being a 996 Newb, I really appreciate the help!

Old 10-13-2015, 05:45 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Die Hard Gold

Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 AM
Socalsporty is on a distinguished road
Autozone has a gold battery that will fit with the vent on the top middle left. They even put it in for me (Chandler location) It was only $105 but that was about 2 years ago and it seems to me prices have gone up.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:14 AM
west coast is on a distinguished road
All Batteries (Porsche) have a small vent tube that you attach to the vent on the unit which takes anything from the Battery overboard.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:45 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
I'd recommend an AGM type if you can swing it. I had a conventional battery and during track events the acid would leak down the vent hose and coat the underside of my chassis. It was a mess to clean up.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:54 PM
Relegate is on a distinguished road
Do we like Optima batteries for 911's?

Old 10-31-2015, 12:37 AM
dan_189 is on a distinguished road
Im a really big fan of Optima batteries in my previous car I had a yellow top and after 6 years its still going strong well worth it.

My understanding from what I have read is that they dont fit into 996s without some modification of the battery tray. This may have changed though. I'd like to get one as I only drive my 996 4-5 times a month and im constantly having to charge my standard bosch battery as it goes flat.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bobwombat
Bernard, 1 more ? if I may.... Pep Boys has an AGM "H8" with some higher specs. The "H6 Premium" you noted is no longer listed. Would this still be ok?

Also, notes say "battery is vented outside the vehicle". Any guidance on this? I'm not home now to check if the battery box has a vent tube leading outside the front luggage compartment. Any thoughts?
H8 battery will fit but there is no nut for the bolt to thread into for that battery (just a hole for the bolt to go through). You need to be content with buying the right size nut and then holding it with one hand while you tighten the battery hold-down bolt with the other hand. Or, you can but a nut and epoxy it to the underside of the battery tray. If you get an H7 battery, you can just bolt it down onto the battery tray.

I strongly suggest any H7 AGM battery (Autozone, Bosch, Advance Auto, etc.). You will still need to use the vent tube for gas to escape.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:52 PM
C4inDFW is on a distinguished road
I just went thru this same exercise last week, and called the couple of indies who have serviced my car. The all recommended the Interstate.

Based on my experience in TX, which is similar weather as yours, i would avoid the Die Hard Gold at all costs. Ive tried them a couple times and in multiple cars, and they leak so bad in hot weather that the cables go bad. Ive been left so many places that i swore never to buy another or even give another warrantied replacement battery another shot. Since switching to Interstate several yrs ago in all my cars, i will highly recommend them. Have never had any issues.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:56 PM
C4inDFW is on a distinguished road
Nearly forgot to mention the venting...i didnt ask what battery youre replacing. Theres a good chance you may already have it vented from the last replacement. Check your records to see if you were charged a venting kit last time.

Lastly, a lot of thes manufactureres have changed their free replacement warranties. Check before you buy.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Requesting 996 Battery Help