996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

best way to connect a Battery Tender to a 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:08 PM
LagunaSecaC4S is on a distinguished road
best way to connect a Battery Tender to a 996

El Nino is keeping my recently-purchased 996 indoors way too much. I've had to jump it a couple of times already. I picked up an Battery Tender 3 at Costco, which includes two separate harnesses that use alligator clips and screw down rings. Either type is easily disconnected to the Battery Tender.

Any suggestions for a semi-permanent installation in a 996?

thanks!

Old 01-13-2016, 06:45 PM
wildbilly32 is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about semi-permanent but I store during the winter in the frozen midwest and simply use the alligator clips. My question is "how long is your car sitting before you have battery issues and do you have the car locked during the down time"? I've read numerous times locking the car reduces the power requirements in a car that sits, especially after 5-7 days when the lock receiver system goes to sleep.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:48 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I got mine at Sears it a 2 amp charger/maintainer, I plug it into the cigarette lighter, works great. Has a float mode as well.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:41 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
I use the Battery Tender brand with two outputs (sounds similar to what you've got - I've got two cars hooked to it in the winter time). I hooked up the "quick connector" to my battery, so when I do need to put it on the tender, it's just a matter of plugging it in, and I don't have any interference from the alligator clips. I drive my car at least 2 or three times/days a week during spring/summer/fall so there's no need to hook it up on a regular basis. When I put it in the garage for winter maintenance/projects it's just a matter of routing the wire from the tender in the "gutter" next to the frunk - this allows me to close the frunk with no interference from the wire. It spent last winter this way and I've never had an issue with the battery since.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:14 AM
dporto: I have the same battery tender and struggle with running the wires so I can close the frunk. Can you share more about "gutter" routing and how that works without bending the frunk lid? Thanks.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:13 PM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Yeah...hook up the quick connector to your battery terminals. This should leave the plug with enough free wire to hang out about 10 - 12" from either side of your battery cover. I just let it sit right on top of the plastic cover piece(s) on either side of the battery (depending on where your "base unit" is located). Just run the main wire right up/down the void/"gutter" between your frunk storage area (with the rubber gasket around the top) and the front "wing" or quarter panel (not sure why Porshe calls it a "wing", but they do...) and plug it in. This is the area where water runs down and out below the car when it's raining or you wash - there's plenty of room for the wire. Bring the lid down slowly and let the wire route out the gap between the frunk lid and the wing - I let it hang right over the front bumper and onto the floor where it runs to the base unit. Good Luck

Old 01-15-2016, 01:19 PM
dporto: Thanks will give it a try. "Wing" I know what you mean. Was working on my 300x and asked a question on a British zcar forum. They got quite a chuckle when I asked for a clarification in english.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:06 AM
JTT911 is on a distinguished road
The other option is to cut an old cigarette lighter plug off something and wire a plug to that. This is what I did and mine plugs into the factory lighter plug just like the $$$$ Porsche one. The plug Battery Tender uses is a standard plug available everywhere. Just verify polarity and wire to an old lighter plug.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:29 AM
turbogts is on a distinguished road
i use a speed/charge unit readily available at any autozone store. i have tried battery tenders/ctech very expensive and dont work any better than the speed charge. i use the positive battery jump post at the top of the engine bay and the air box mounting stud ans the ground. the charger sets right beside the air box and the plug wire sets on the lid gasket by the tail light with the lid down.