996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How Do N/A 996s Fair Against M3s, C32s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Banned
Accomplice is on a distinguished road
How Do N/A 996s Fair Against M3s, C32s?

I just got a C32 and was hoping to hear how these cars compared in stop light to stop light contests. The C32 is pretty rare but I know many of you have probably played with some of the numerous new M3s.

Kevin

Old 11-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
no offense but aren't stop light to stop light contests more for rice rockets and kids?

Real performance should be tested on track and I'd like to think our 996's can hold its own.

Old 11-24-2003, 01:44 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is on a distinguished road
The 3.6l 996's will stomp on a M3, not sure on the C32 but my guess is the same. However Ben's 3.4L will blow "literaly" the others away. As for stop light racing I am with "Itzkirb" it is stupid.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:54 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Instead of not answering the question...

well.. instead of saying that stop light racing is childish, im sure some of us have done it. I have a 2001 Tip C4. NO engine mods.

When i first got my car, i ran with a c32 amg on the highway. It could keep up with me until 70 or so and then i kept getting further and further from him.

The m3 is a different story. My cousin has a stock m3. That thing goes crazy from 2nd to 3rd. Yet, if ur crazy enough to go past 140, the Porsche will beat u anyday.

This past weekend i ran with a E36 (previous generation) m3. The guy said he was Stage V Dinan. I took him off the line. I dont know if he was lying, but his car was mean, but alas i came out victorious.

The numbers dont lie.

C 32 0-60 5.4 sec
996 0-60 4.5-5.2 sec
M3 0-60 4.8

But as a colleague said, stop light racing doesnt proove much. If u want to kill someone at a stop light, get a Viper.

Old 11-24-2003, 07:20 AM
Banned
By 'stoplight to stoplight' I really meant to imply any bits of casual, off-track fun you guys may have had with those cars in public circumstances. Also, clearly the 996 and M3 will both leave a C32 on a road course.

I've actually seen an Autocar test of the C32 that had a 0-60 of 4.6 and the 1/4 mile of 13.0@107. It really doesn' feel like it gets going until 3rd gear. I'd have guessed that the C32 would fair better from a higher roll than off the line.

Kevin

Old 11-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Lol, I had this guy try to race me the other night in a 1992 Mustang GT convertible. I smoked him and at the next light he says "Wanna go again"? I said "ok" He blew my doors off! I was like wtf? at the next light I asked him what he had done to the car to get it so fast. Turns out he had dropped a 308 "Stroker Motor" in it and added a double shot of NOS! I have never raced a car with NOS before, And you could hear and see when he had hit the button. Pretty awsome. BTW this was at 3:00am on Sat night in an Industrial area otherwise I would not have bothered.
I was schooled by a sleeper.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:44 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
I played with a few cars in my C2. (2002)
It did very well actually. I was able to 'beat' a standard vette twice, and an M3 once. I got smoked by a fixed up older Vette and got beat by an 89 911 Turbo that had a few mods.

I was able to beat an S4 and then lose to it the next time.
It's so much about the right launch. In your C32, you have an auto tranny so the launch should be to your advantage. I would be you could beat many people in their 996's based on the launch.

Old 11-24-2003, 10:10 AM
lap
lap is on a distinguished road
Accomplice (8) ?

Are you the same Accomplice8 on the c32life, etc. boards?

You will definitely get differing opinions on this. On a good day each will give the other a run for it's money.

I'll give you my humble opinion based upon personal experience:

My 2002 c32 = very very very fast; STEALTHNESS factor will definitely give you an advantage most of the time; will take m3s in straight line, especially @ highway speeds.

My 2002 targa = very very very fast; not so stealth (minivans try to race me all day long - I let the "cute" mothers win ) better handling than stock c32 BUT not the handling one expects from Porsche --- with all due respect, this will be corrected with aftermarket suspension & +1 application to 18".

My 1989 speedster= very very fast; definitely NO stealth factor (do not leave it parked unattended) & will carve out the twisties better than the above --- with Koni Yellows Externally Adj., Custom HREs, Tri-Flo Full Exhaust, etc..

Enjoy your c32, the powertrain is simply amazing on that vehicle.

Old 11-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Oakland is on a distinguished road
I've raced all three cars before.

At the track and at the street. Yes Street racing is stupid, but I
like to go anyway. When I get old, I'll probably think its as stupid as some of you think. For now, I love street racing and car shows, so there.....back to the topic.

I went to the drag races in Milpitas last week and raced an E46 M3 (SMG), It smoked me by 1/2 a car. We raced a total of 3 times. Only one time I was able to keep up with it. I also own an E46 M3 (6 speed), I do know that it is "faster" than my C2. (sorry guys just keeping it real).

As for the C32 AMG, the numbers do not lie, it is faster than the C2. (0-60 in 4.9) I raced my friend's C32 and it smoked me by 2 cars, I was not willing to go over 120 on a street, he was.

I do know my car can take most Japanese cars, including EVO8, RX8, 350Z (i've smoked about 18 of these cars), G35, Integra's with Turbo's, NOS, Slicks....yada yada yada. I also have an 11 second Honda Civic that I campaign for quick 8's. Believe me, I DO KNOW HOW TO SHIFT AND LAUNCH MY CARS.

I've smoked my brother's NSX numerous times @ an average of 2 car lenghts.

Lastly, I still have not smoked a Mustang yet.

Hope this helps answering your questions.

Last edited by Oakland; 11-24-2003 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Again, between the cars you mention, it's the driver way more than the car. They're virtual ties. If a car mag has .2 or .3 secs diff in a 0-60 time, then with most drivers, it is exactly the same speed.
No offense, but those M3's may be able to launch better than you can in your C2. (especially if they're SMG)

I learned to launch my C2 well and could beat the 1 guy I played with in an M3.

It's the driver on the street or track when you're talking cars of this level.

Last edited by Scott in H-town; 11-24-2003 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Mustangs are no problems

As Scott my main man has said, magazines are BS basically. it depends on the driver in these tests and especially on the street. I personally think that Magazine testers know how to launch a car very effectively compared to kids who look for the "look of the launch" rather than the actual efficient launch.

Ive gone against a Mustang. We started at about 70 and went up to 120+. I dont know what Mustang's top speeds are, but i was up at 160 and he was about 500-600 feet behind me.

Once again, depends on the driver...and sometimes the tranny!

(tip)C4 Pistol

Old 11-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Oakland is on a distinguished road
WHOA!

"i was up at 160 and he was about 500-600 feet behind me."

Old 11-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Pioneer Member
Re: Mustangs are no problems

Originally posted by Pistol
As Scott my main man has said....

(tip)C4 Pistol

Old 11-24-2003, 10:56 AM
sorry. kind of exaggerated. i know he was pretty far behind me!

160== more like 140

Old 11-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Banned
Thanks for all of the repsonses. I figured that driver skill would determine most of the stock 996 NA/ M3 / NSX / C32 races. Its just interesting to hear the firsthand accounts of the races.

Lap-Yes, I am the same guy from the C32life forums.

Kevin