996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Purpose of moding. track use???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 10:19 AM
hardwaykao is on a distinguished road
Purpose of moding. track use???

I just back from the race track yesterday. I was wondering who else go to track frequently or once a while. For those people who mod the car to 500HP-700HP, are those for track use or just habbit of moding?
For super HP car, is it really hard to handle on the track. As what I know, the stock GT2 is already so fast and not so many people have capability to utilize the power.
Thank you for everyone's input

Old 11-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I've gone to the track once this year and until I get better at what mycar can do stock I'm holding off on the serious and $$$ mods.

I feel I to improve myself first before I improve the car.

Old 11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Smart man. I felt the same way and I felt I could finally drive my car about as fast as possible without modding... so I got a Turbo. hehe

Old 11-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
I am still so jealous!

Old 11-24-2003, 10:45 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
bank nowadays is not the best place to put the money

Old 11-24-2003, 10:47 AM
i went to the track ferquently. i think that the first thing to mod is the racing tires. those tires makes the big difference. My high performance tires is not as sticky as racing tires. I will prepare a set of racing rims and tires for next year. I went to thunderhill and laguna seca pretty often last year but only once this year. I am going for the sears point event on 12/27. Anyone interest in going?

Old 11-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Hey Hardwaykao

What mods do you have on your car now? I know in earlier posts you were thinking of adding a lot of stuff. Just wondering what you done so far.

Old 11-24-2003, 11:06 AM
haha, i have done nothing for my car yet besides i bought a set of Ruf padels for $399 ( four pieces free shipping).
i am going to buy carbon fiber shift ***, e-break, steering wheel, and exhaust next just to deco my car for just to look good.
for performance, the most important thing for my car on the track is tires that will be done in spring next year. then maybe suspension ( i have 030 package) and break next.
if i can handle my car well enough on track, i will put the supercharger on end of next year.

Old 11-24-2003, 11:06 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Re: Purpose of moding. track use???

Originally posted by hardwaykao
For super HP car, is it really hard to handle on the track. As what I know, the stock GT2 is already so fast and not so many people have capability to utilize the power.
The 996TT is dangerously easy to handle on the track (IMHO). GT2 is a different animal.
Whether you can 'use the power' depends a bit on the track.......if you are fortunate enough to live near a good 3 mile or better track w/a good mix of turns & straights.....the TT really comes into her own...personally would not autocross the TT.

As far as why we 'mod' and the HP question.........most everyone has their own reasons. For me, I wanted at least 550 (partly because way back when I put my order in, that's what most accounts said it would have)..........also, the engine is more than capable of it. Moving on to suspension, wheels, tires, safety.....all just go hand-in-hand and keep the whole car at what it can be.

Having said that.........you don't need to mod a thing in order to have a blast out there.

Last edited by GreggT; 11-24-2003 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:38 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
I mod to make my signature longer LOL (j/k of coourse)
One of the best modes on these thing is a short shifter IMO