996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need help- potential purchase 01 Aero C4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 PM
ancientsanskrit is on a distinguished road
Need help- potential purchase 01 Aero C4

Hey guys. Been a long-time searcher on 6speed, but needed some direction on a potential acquisition.

Vehicle: 2001 911 C4 Aero
Mileage: 51,000
Asking: $22,000

Had a chance to test drive the vehicle this afternoon. Felt very good. No anomalies in driving sensation. Anyways, had some basic questions if you can help.

1.) Vehicle came with a PPI from March 2016 from a Porsche dealership. Do all dealerships do a over-rev analysis? The seller did not have this and noted it never came with it. That seemed odd to me. I plan to contact dealership tomorrow to see.

2.) PPI noted chain case seepage. However, I couldn't note anything as the seller had powerwashed the engine and underbody (suspicious to me). I gave it some heavy foot and oil pressure held at 5 barr and returned back to 3. Seemed normal.

3.) PPI noted PSM off and ABS light on while driving. However, seller noted that dealership cleared ABS/PSM and replaced battery and it never came back. I didn't see it while test drive.

4.) Accident. Car had an accident, no salvage in title, however there is impact damage on the L/R undershield and it was noted in Carfax. Unfortunately, this is the 4th owner and accident occurred with 1st owner and there are no records on hand other than PPI and Carfax.

With all that said, it's a pretty car, right options, felt strong. I'm curious to hear about your thoughts on the price point or anything I mentioned that would make you walk away. I'm still learning about the 996. Was thinking of a TT, but this price point is pretty convincing.

I plan to do a PPI unless you suggest me otherwise.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2016, 10:32 AM
turbogts is on a distinguished road
Service records? IMS RMS done? clutch? Porsche PPI is owner owned information. the dealership will not answer your questions as you do not own the car. you can pay to have an inspection done tat you will have access to for peace of mind. I am selling my 3 owner 99 C4 factory aero and carbon, full service, full PPI history information to buyers, and all service records contained in a 3 inch baby book with pictures. sounds weird that you get some information about problems but no proof of proper repair other than just reset the code.?????????????? Robby