996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Red Calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 11:33 AM
John Romano is on a distinguished road
Red Calipers

Sorry Guys, I still have not received my e-mail notification so that I can respond to the thread - I have to post a new one.

Anyway, I found this last night.

http://www.goldlinebrakes.com/PolymerCoating.htm

I'm waiting for them to get back to me RE price and proceedure.

I have heard the decals are not good - stenciling is the way to go.

John

Old 12-24-2005, 04:26 PM
CoreyNJ is on a distinguished road
Stenciling is very time consuming. It takes 5 days for the stencil paint to dry before you can clear coat, then another 5 days before you can wetsand the clear coat over the logo flat. This assumes you don't make any mistakes wet sanding. You need to be very careful not to wet sand through the colour paint on the edges. It took me 15days to do my first set, with the 1 mistake I did with the clear coat.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:45 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
yes decals are not the way to go but use the the "negative" of the decal as the stencil. i found stenciling VERY easy. be sure to request the negative when you order you caliper decals. after you paint the calipers make sure they are dry (maybe an hour or 2) then apply the stencil to the caliper. lightly spray the logo on this way you don't have to wet sand it down to get a uniform surface. carefully remove the stencil after it has dried for 30 minutes. took me 1 hour prep/cleaning, 30 minutes to mask, 30 minutes to spray the calipers, 2 hours to dry, 30 minutes to apply stencil and paint logo. roughly 5 hours for all four corners.

Old 12-26-2005, 04:30 PM
CoreyNJ is on a distinguished road
So you didn't clear over your logos?

don't mind the white stuff in the corners, it's excess dried rubbing compound from the wet sanding process that needed to be washed off.

Last edited by CoreyNJ; 12-26-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:01 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
nice work

Old 12-26-2005, 05:20 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by CoreyNJ
So you didn't clear over your logos?

don't mind the white stuff in the corners, it's excess dried rubbing compound from the wet sanding process that needed to be washed off.
sorry, yes i did clear over the logos. i used high temp paint for the caliper AND the logo and my stenciling job was clean so i really didn't have to do a clear coat but i did anyway. if i wet sanded i would definitely clear coat it to get the glossy appearance again.