996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Custom Procharged C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 AM
nckwrnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice excited to hear the results. Do you have any plans to get the car on a dyno?

Curious this setup doesn't use a add on crank pulley your just using the existing serpentine path with a longer belt?

Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Irish222222 is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately didnt get to the track this weekend, so looks like I won’t have hard numbers til spring.

If I can find an awd dyno near me with a decent price for a couple pulls, I will def try to get it dynoed once I have everything perfect. I’m mainly just playing around with different BOVs now, so almost there. Would also be nice to get a before and after dyno if I do an impellar upgrade.

I just have an additional idler pulley to help get good wrap on the alternator, with a longer serp belt.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 PM
nckwrnr is an unknown quantity at this point
How does the supercharger sound on the car? Wasn't sure if prochargers are quiet or you can hear some whine from it.

What did you need to do for the crank case venting?

Old 11-13-2017, 05:07 PM
It has a little whine to it cus its an older model with straight gears, but not real loud. Im running the bov to atmosphere so the air flowing is the loudest part. You hear it all the time but I like it and its not real loud outside of the car.

For the crankcase vent I extended the hose to connect to the intake tube right in front of the SC inlet.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 AM
orangeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Irish, any updates here? Saw you posting in a different thread. Would love to do this, very interested in how the tuning turns out.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Hey, sorry, I’ve been at a stand still due to new baby in the fam and a couple house projects. However, car is running great. It is def quicker and more fun to drive. Ive put about 1k miles on with no issues. I’m about to start playing around with the piping and different BOV to see if I can optimize it a little more. Im also planning to change the impellar to get boost a little sooner. Should have this all done in a few months. I think the tune is good, but I’m guessing could be slightly better if I get it dyno tuned. However, very happy with the ease of email tuning.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Wonderful, thanks for the reply man. So since the tuner has a functioning file now, I am assuming others could use it as a base tune? Is he open to that? Figure he'd want to make some money on some good work.

What did you use for a belt? How many tensioners did you change? Are you looking at the new P1X impeller with the taller vanes? Seems like it might be the way to go

Last edited by orangeman; 02-01-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:01 PM
tekkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Irish222222
Hey, sorry, I’ve been at a stand still due to new baby in the fam and a couple house projects. However, car is running great. It is def quicker and more fun to drive. Ive put about 1k miles on with no issues. I’m about to start playing around with the piping and different BOV to see if I can optimize it a little more. Im also planning to change the impellar to get boost a little sooner. Should have this all done in a few months. I think the tune is good, but I’m guessing could be slightly better if I get it dyno tuned. However, very happy with the ease of email tuning.
who is doing your tuning? i cant find anyone and i just picked up a used vf kit where i am wondering if i should do theirs or custom

Old 02-02-2018, 07:38 PM
It’s possible he’ll have a good base tune now. I used Todd Knighton from promotive. I think it was about the same price to get canned tune from VF or a full custom tune from Todd, so was an easy choice.

I ended up using a 103” gatorback belt. I relocated the top tensioner and added one tensioner. I think the setup is very similar to the VF bracket. However, i did modify the coolant hose so it would run a little more out of the way so I didn’t have to be as exact with the tensioner placements. I also went with a 3.4 pulley on the procharger. I started with 3.8, but clearance wasn’t great and boost was a little low.

Yes, def looking for taller vaines. Looks like there are a few options out there. Would love to make more boost a little sooner. I’m getting about 3 psi around 3k rpms and would like to see that cloeser to the 2k range, but we’ll see. Coming from a vette, missing that low-end punch 😁

Awesome, feel free to reach out if you get going on the project and have any questions.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 PM
sorry just looked back and realized you had mentioned his name before

what injectors are you using? i purchased some bosh 550cc ones so i am curious if he would have to remap them or not

this is the website? i dont see his name mentioned on there but google pointed me there http://www.protomotive.com/home.html

also what meth setup / config are you using? i plan to do the same thing and am debating on what to do, i am really considering only doing a 25% meth / 75% water because i am more interested in lowering the temp for safety than making more power

thanks for all of the info and creating this thread because there is very little info out there

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-05-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Np, his email is sales@promotive.com

i went with siemens deka 60lb injectors based on Todd’s recommendation.

I’m now using 50/50 meth and a snow performance progressive kit. Same for me, really only worried about cooling. I tried washer fluid first at around 70/30, but had a scary mishap where I almost hydrolocked when I was spraying too much. Car completey shutdown and couldnt get it started for about 5 min. I assume the water had to burn off. I did some reading and I think the slightly the higher meth content will help make sure it burns better to avoid hydrolock. After the mishap I went with very minimal spray and will work my way up. Once I’m happy with the piping and bov I’ll start tuning the meth with the wideband to get it more optimal.

I hear you, not a ton of info on this type of stuff for the m96 and I’m very much a novice. I had to sparce info from many different spots and did a lot of learning on the go, but been fun.

Last edited by Irish222222; 02-02-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:11 AM
thanks again for the info, i think you mean @protomotive.com right? i will send him a mail and see what he says

to bad he is not closer he is about 1k miles from me but maybe a good roadtrip lol or maybe i can borrow my buddies trailer and tow it there

Old 02-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Oh yes, protomotive, sorry

my tune was all email through the durametric tool and palmer performance scantool. He sent me the base, the i deove the car and sent him the log file and he sent me back a revised tune. He has done tons of BF and TPC lits, so the base was pretty close to start.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:30 AM
cool, i just shot him a mail to see what he says

Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by tekkie
cool, i just shot him a mail to see what he says
Any response?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.