996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Issues going into 2nd gear... help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 AM
antagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant future
Issues going into 2nd gear... help?

All, I have a new to me (2nd owner) '02 C2 Cab. It has a weird issue of not wanting to go into 2nd (sometimes) when going up or down hills. Last night I was going down a short hill after turning at a stop sign and I put the clutch in and moved to 2nd and I heard a lot of grinding when I partially let the clutch out. I didn't let it all the way out, just put it in neutral and coasted. When I got to the next stop sign, I ran through first and second with no problem but this was on less inclined terrain. Another time, I went to 2nd and it felt like I was in neutral, like it didn't "hook up". I am aware of the "second gear popout" issue and this seems to be more of a question of the car not going into 2nd as opposed to coming out randomly once engaged. Anyone have any insights?

Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 AM
boomvang is an unknown quantity at this point
My '02 Cab would do the same thing on occasion, replaced the stock shifter with a 997 short shifter and problem went away.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:11 PM
Rental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura about
Is it only at certain RPM's? Could be an issue with the synchro's.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:27 AM
antagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant futureantagron has a brilliant future
I'm not sure, it's basically on upshift from 1st to 2nd. Not high RPM shifting at all, very low speed/load. But only on a hill. Does upgrading to the short shift kit also involve transmission fluid flush and fill? I'm thinking that might be the first thing to try.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by antagron
All, I have a new to me (2nd owner) '02 C2 Cab. It has a weird issue of not wanting to go into 2nd (sometimes) when going up or down hills. Last night I was going down a short hill after turning at a stop sign and I put the clutch in and moved to 2nd and I heard a lot of grinding when I partially let the clutch out. I didn't let it all the way out, just put it in neutral and coasted. When I got to the next stop sign, I ran through first and second with no problem but this was on less inclined terrain. Another time, I went to 2nd and it felt like I was in neutral, like it didn't "hook up". I am aware of the "second gear popout" issue and this seems to be more of a question of the car not going into 2nd as opposed to coming out randomly once engaged. Anyone have any insights?
Since the car is an unknown to you my advice would be even before you do any fluid changes be sure the brake and *clutch* fluid are flushed and bled.

I have experienced clutch and shifting problems from letting my 2002 Boxster go just 2.5 years between brake and clutch fluid flush/bleed jobs. While the brakes were ok before and after the fluid flush/bleed the clutch and shifting action while a problem before the fluid flush/bleed were transformed afterwards.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Franco67 is on a distinguished road
I am not sure if this related to your issue, but you should check this out https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dance-mod.html

And their website. http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 AM
I talked to my mechanic, who said it's the synchro wearing down and to just avoid the problem by learning what RPMs the car wants to shift at. Shifting at over 3k, I haven't experienced the problem. I guess I just need to learn the car more...

Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Franco67 is on a distinguished road
Well, I'Ve had a similar problem in the past, and I try to let the engine warm up for about 10 minutes before start driving and that loosen up the gear box, some people might think is not good to do that and that should start driving the car slowly, but I don't agree. Glad you figured it out.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:34 AM
djloush is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Rental Metard
Is it only at certain RPM's? Could be an issue with the synchro's.
+1 O would say its more likely to be a synchro prob.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.