996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

clutch going?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:54 PM
chomper129 is on a distinguished road
clutch going?

searched to find my particular issue, but no luck. I have a 2000 C2 Cab that has been running flawlessly. A few days ago, I noticed that in 2nd gear, about 2 out of 10 times, right after I shift and release the clutch from 1st to 2nd gear, the engine revs up a bit, but no power is going to the wheels. Once it comes back down, it feels like everything engages. It only happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and not every time. Does that mean my clutch is going? I've got about 75k miles on it, and as far as I know, its the original clutch. The feeling of the pedal is totally normal. Thanks for any insight into this!

Old 06-26-2017, 03:06 PM
ugh. thats what i figured. thanks for the quick response

Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chomper129
ugh. thats what i figured. thanks for the quick response
It could certainly be the clutch is slipping but most of the time the slippage doesn't occur in the lower gears only in the higher gears.

Unless you have had this done "recently" before you go to the trouble of dropping the transmission to have the clutch replaced my recommendation is you do a proper brake fluid *and* clutch fluid flush/bleed.

I know I must sound like a zealot on this subject but when I let this go with my Boxster the clutch action and shifting action was quite bad. In discussing this with SA it was he who looked up when I had this done last and noted it was 2.5 years ago and advised me to do this. I could always book the car in for a new clutch if the fluid service didn't help. The cost was not that much and I would not have been upset had it not had any benefit.

Anyhow, I had the brakes and clutch fluid flushed and bled and the clutch and shifting action was transformed.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Hmmm. Thanks so much Macster. I've had the car for about 5 years now, and I haven't replaced either of those fluids. I have a really trustworthy mechanic, so I will definitely bring this up to him and see what he says. It would be amazing if it was something that simple. Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 AM
I just got a quote to replace the clutch, and they want $3200. That seems crazy high to me. Am I wrong?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chomper129
I just got a quote to replace the clutch, and they want $3200. That seems crazy high to me. Am I wrong?
That quote is in the ballpark. I've never had to replace a clutch but I had to pay to have an RMS leak repaired in my 2003 Turbo and the cost was around $1700 which is mostly labor to remove then install the transmission. Add in $1000 for a flywheel, and something for the clutch hardware, and take a bit of labor off because the Turbo requires more time to remove/install the transmission and $3200 is well, as I said above, in the ballpark.

I have to stress you want to be sure the fluid is not the source of the problem. A clutch fluid flush/bleed is a heck of a lot less expensive than a clutch job. 'course, there is the possibility after the clutch fluid flush/bleed the clutch still needs to be replaced, but I'd rather pay for a clutch fluid flush/bleed to potentially avoid an unnecessary clutch job than to pay for an unnecessary clutch job to get the necessary fluid flush/bleed.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
maybe you could explain why a brake flush would be needed since they are 2 completely different systems
With the N/A 996 the brake and clutch share hydraulic fluid. The proper procedure is to bleed the brakes first then bleed the clutch.

If only the clutch is bled then the brake fluid can contaminate the small amount of clutch fluid afterwards.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:01 AM
eyezonr is an unknown quantity at this point
rip off. im having my clutch and ims done 2k..

Old 07-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Update: Got the clutch replaced as well as the IMS and RMS and a new AOS. Shop told me that my IMS was "a month or so" away from complete blowout. Tough shelling out all that money, but worth it in the end!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.