996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Another IMS tale of woe...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Volkers
A friend of mine had to have his turbo 996 engine rebuilt, but he said they had dialed in way too much boost ( 750hp!! ).
It took months to be rebuilt at an Indie and was quite expensive. When I told hime what I paid he said I would not have saved much by going elsewhere .
He tracks the car with extensive modifications.
Interestingly, with less power he has improved his lap times presumably because it has smoother more predictable performance.
I realize this would be out of my price range - no track time for me. ( heck - it's a convertible anyway...)
The Turbo engine is a pretty robust engine and can handle extra power. But as your friend found out there's a limit.

The Turbo engine came from the 1999+ GT3 which itself was derived from the Le Mans winning engine developed for the 911 GT. This engine was fitted with titanium rods and IIRC its power output was in the 500hp range.

So I'd hazard a guess that if one pushes one of these Turbo engines to the 500hp level he probably needs to think about some better rods. At least.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Volkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really nice
Originally Posted by cnavarro
Sorry to see you have a problem with an engine fitted with one of our IMS Retrofits. At that mileage and especially as you had just had the oil changed and there were no symptoms (if the bearing was on it's way out, I would have expected some debris in the filter), I'm wondering if the IMS was a secondary failure, even if an IMS failure at all. I would have expected you not to have been able to drive it (big oil leak likely) and it would have been making noise and likely would have jumped time having been driven to the dealership.

Was this installation registered and have a serial number I can look up for more details on the installation?

Was a forensic inspection done including teardown? Any scored cylinders? It's taken some time to corroborate our theory, but in most every case we've seen one of our bearings fail with mileage, there have been scored cylinders, poorly fitted cold air intake, or a dry (non-oiled) washable air filter, all which lead to contamination of the oil with high silicon content.

You are not too far from Flat 6 or LN - I'm sure we can do much better for less than the dealer and do updates at the same time. Shipping is cheap and easy. We're not so much in the engine business here, but if Jake does the work, we can get to the root cause and obviously we'll do our best to make this process as painless as possible and I'd help out where I can.
I now have a rebuilt engine from Porsche. It has a sticker which seems to indicate it has an LN IMS:
What would be the warranty on this?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	514321  
Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I now have a rebuilt engine from Porsche.
A great outcome and seems very reasonable compared to some figures I've seen. I guess we'll never know if it was the chicken or the egg.

Best of luck with it!

Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Best to check and confirm with LN but if I remember correctly the warranty on the retrofit is two years/24,000 miles. Also, for the warranty to be effective I think the installation had to be registered with LN so you might want to check that too.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 PM
derv88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Porsche factory installs LN IMSBs?

Old 10-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Volkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really nice
Thank you again for this information.
From what I was told this was “ factory rebuilt” and I guess it could have been sitting in storage somewhere.
It certainly looks new.
Anyway, I am not getting ulcers over this - will just drive it and enjoy it.
From the info I now have, will look at replacing the IMS at 60k if I still have the car.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Any recommendations on when to do that first oil change on this rebuilt engine? The mechanic said he'd just do it at 10K...

Old 12-04-2017, 05:42 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Any recommendations on when to do that first oil change on this rebuilt engine? The mechanic said he'd just do it at 10K...
Charles from LN offers his opinion in the attachment to post #38.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:47 AM
Cybernaut12 is on a distinguished road

The only reason I put this on this thread is to say: if you contemplate a 911 of the 2002 - 2005 vintage, go for a turbo without the IMS issue.
It's worth the extra bucks.
Or...spend the extra dough and have an oil-fed bearing (e.g., LN Engineering/Flat 6 Innovations/Jake Raby IMS Solution) installed that alleviates ANY possibility of an IMS failure. Expensive, yes...but MUCH cheaper than an engine replacement (or even a Turbo version 996).

Last edited by Cybernaut12; 12-12-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Cybernaut12 is on a distinguished road
I now have a rebuilt engine from Porsche. It has a sticker which seems to indicate it has an LN IMS:
What would be the warranty on this?

FYI, an IMS retrofit still uses a balled-bearing (albeit improved ceramic hybrid ball bearings) and may still fail. Warranty of a retrofit is 2 years or 24,000 miles with a recommended replacement at every 75,000 miles or 6 years. If you want true piece of mind, you need the "IMS Solution," which uses a plain (no more *****), oil-fed bearing.

Last edited by Cybernaut12; 12-12-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Warranty

The dealership gave me a 2 year unlimited miles warranty - by word of mouth, for what its worth.
I decided to do an early oil change ( today ) at my Indie at 2600 miles on the rebuild.
My technician said he found it interesting that I received a short block.
He said that when this issue first came up he was working at a dealership and they would be shipped a complete engine with headers and all, and would just bolt it in and reconnect - a very quick process.
They said it was to keep labor down.

I guess that's not done any more - they used all the old bits on mine and, $8512 of labor later, it was back in place.
Parts were $11000 for the engine, I believe.
They then did things like alignments etc. and the final total , with tax , was $24500 odd

Old 08-07-2021, 06:18 PM
GCB
GCB is on a distinguished road
I just noticed your comment on this thread. I'm current going thru bore scoring issues on my 997.1S
I was think of and spoke to the gues at Renegade about getting a Renegade LS-3 conversion... the problem is they won't pass county Emissions testing.

They are even the ones that told me this... unfortunate... as I heard a lot of good things about Renegade

Old 08-07-2021, 06:19 PM
GCB
GCB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

If something like that happened to me, I would seriously consider a Renegade LS-3 V8 conversion.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com
I just noticed your comment on this thread. I'm current going thru bore scoring issues on my 997.1S
I was think of and spoke to the gues at Renegade about getting a Renegade LS-3 conversion... the problem is they won't pass county Emissions testing.

They are even the ones that told me this... unfortunate... as I heard a lot of good things about Renegade

Old 08-07-2021, 07:59 PM
Tiievommm is an unknown quantity at this point
Why put an LS motor in a Porsche just buy a vette and go from there
the price of vettes are dirt cheap for a reason

Old 08-07-2021, 08:37 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Tiievommm
Why put an LS motor in a Porsche just buy a vette and go from there
the price of vettes are dirt cheap for a reason
When you add up the price of the LS motor and all of the things you have to change in order to get it to work, you're in the neighborhood of getting an FSI bulletproof performance engine.