996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

PSE switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
Question PSE switch

Is it me or do all PSE switchs will only toggle between Regular operation and "Quiet all the time" mode. I had disconnected the vacuum hose when I had my '02 C4S (pre- switch PSE ) to have it Open all the time.
But my '04 C4S Cab has the Switch and when I turned it on, it just went to "Closed" mode and Off will operate "Normally". To have it open all the time, looks like I will still have to disconnect it.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:53 PM
WARDHOG will become famous soon enough
Just leave the switch in the off position if you want the PSE in the Loud mode. Why disconnect anything?

Old 12-02-2003, 02:45 PM
miki4s is on a distinguished road
Is there a difference in sound between an 02 PSE and the newer PSE w/switch cause my 02 c4s w/PSE sounds a little more Quiet then an 03 w/PSE. Maybe i just got ripped off.

Old 12-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by WARDHOG
Just leave the switch in the off position if you want the PSE in the Loud mode. Why disconnect anything?
The switch only puts it into Quiet mode all the time, in the Off position it will just operate normally closing the valve between (2500 - 3500 ? rpm).

Old 12-02-2003, 02:54 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is on a distinguished road
Dave,

Is your car officially put away for the season after today's nasty weather?

Eric

Old 12-02-2003, 03:21 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Dave - your avatar pic is sweet!!!
I think you should contact one of the admins to update/change your name

Old 12-02-2003, 03:57 PM
ZX7R is on a distinguished road
Just to clear up some issues...Here is basically how the PSE system should work when the switch (and the rest of the electronics and vacuum valves) have been installed with the exhaust....

1...With the switch in the off position, the exhaust should be in sports mode (loud) but due to noise regulations in some countries the electronics are also connected to the speedometer signal and when travelling at approx. 30 - 45mph or so, the exhaust reverts to 'Quiet mode' within this speed window. Once the speed exceeds this window the exhaust gets loud again.

2...With the switch in the on position, the exhaust always remains in the quiet mode.

3...If the mufflers are installed without the associated electrics etc the exhaust will always be in the sports mode no matter what.

If you already have the switch and electrics installed (Step 1) you can bypass the cutout which occurs at 30-45mph via a very simple modification....Once this mod is completed your exhaust will always be in sports mode when the switch is off and you can then still switch in quiet mode if required.

Check out the following link on the Renntech forums..
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=491

I have done this mode and it works well (Thanks to Loren)

Last edited by ZX7R; 12-02-2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ZX7R
Just to clear up some issues...Here is basically how the PSE system should work when the switch (and the rest of the electronics and vacuum valves) have been installed with the exhaust....

1...With the switch in the off position, the exhaust should be in sports mode (loud) but due to noise regulations in some countries the electronics are also connected to the speedometer signal and when travelling at approx. 30 - 45mph or so, the exhaust reverts to 'Quiet mode' within this speed window. Once the speed exceeds this window the exhaust gets loud again.

2...With the switch in the on position, the exhaust always remains in the quiet mode.

3...If the mufflers are installed without the associated electrics etc the exhaust will always be in the sports mode no matter what.

If you already have the switch and electrics installed (Step 1) you can bypass the cutout which occurs at 30-45mph via a very simple modification....Once this mod is completed your exhaust will always be in sports mode when the switch is off and you can then still switch in quiet mode if required.

Check out the following link on the Renntech forums..
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=491

I have done this mode and it works well (Thanks to Loren)
ZX7R,
Thanks for the link, My Porsche tech just unplug the connection in the engine compartment and now its sport exhaust on all the time.

Old 12-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ESK
Dave,

Is your car officially put away for the season after today's nasty weather?

Eric
Eric,
I know... it was ugly today lots of accidents, I was in the RX330 today. I have to bring the car back to Chambers tomorrow for my Lojack install and Inspection sticker. They are forcasting snow towards the end of the week which means the Cab becomes a garage queen till spring.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:28 PM
ZX7R is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Dave(MA 02 C4S)
ZX7R,
Thanks for the link, My Porsche tech just unplug the connection in the engine compartment and now its sport exhaust on all the time.
Unplugging the connection in the engine compartment does work as you have mentioned, but some people still want the switch to function correctly so they perform the mod as noted...

Old 12-03-2003, 08:19 AM
Banned
MTBR is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Dave(MA 02 C4S)
I have to bring the car back to Chambers tomorrow for my Lojack install
You sure you want LoJack? If my car was stolen, I wouldn't want it recovered. Are you doing this for an insurance discount?