996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help compare a 2000 Carrera 4 to a carrera-- And what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Red5 is on a distinguished road
Help compare a 2000 Carrera 4 to a carrera-- And what should I look for?

Currently sporting an 06 CTT-S and I LOVE IT! Oh Man is it fast and fun and great at some many things. I need an in town type of car. Currently using a mazda mx-5. Was going to sell that and buy a 996 cab.

Of course the IMS issues has me concerned but I also realize that it doesn't happen to all of them, heard only like 5%. So what can I look for in a car to see if that is going bad?

What do you like about the carrera 4 vs the carrera? Or vice verse? My purchase price will have to be less than 20k so that should tell you approximately what market I am in.

Got any good advice?

Old 04-19-2018, 07:02 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
unfortunately you usually don't know your IMS is bad until well, it goes bad. best advice is to look for a car w/it already taken care of (more than you think) and many will sport an LN sticker with a barcode & number telling you it's been done.

don't know anything about the c4s other than they're a bit heavier, less frunk space, and some ppl actually don't prefer the way it drives.

do your research (suggest rennlist for that), watch youtube videos on the car (you'd be surprised how many there are discussing various aspects of buying/owning/maintaning).

goodluck.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:30 AM
swiftvision is on a distinguished road
This is easy.

The IMS thing is not 'checkable'. If you feel that it will fail you have to fix it for $2000-$5000. For me, I'm not going to touch it unless I have to open up the tranny for service (new clutch) as the tranny has to come off to install a new IMS. Porsche recently came out with an updated IMS, that is what I would go with if I was to do it. 2-5% of cars has this fail. Typically it's higher mileage cars.

The C4 and C2 are the same minus suspension and AWD, thats it. Do you need to drive in the snow? Worried about the rain? Otherwise stick to the C2.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:08 AM
jllphan is an unknown quantity at this point
Imsb is well covered, either don’t stress it and roll the dice or address it and don’t stress. Case closed.

the ONLY way to compare the C2 and C4 is for you to go drive both. They are different animals. Personally I prefer the C2 for its live rear end, it’s the more quintessential 911 experience. I wouldn’t know that unless I spent time in both. Just go drive em both and decide what works best for you.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:26 PM
shft22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am currently on the market for a 996.2 4s, this will be my first Porsche coming from American muscle cars. I started looking into a C2 but after seeing a 4s I just love the way the car looks. I haven't driven one, but I will adjust to the car. Besides one can alway remove the front differential and turn it into a rear pusher.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:56 PM
911Dreamn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red5
Currently sporting an 06 CTT-S and I LOVE IT! Oh Man is it fast and fun and great at some many things. I need an in town type of car. Currently using a mazda mx-5. Was going to sell that and buy a 996 cab.

Of course the IMS issues has me concerned but I also realize that it doesn't happen to all of them, heard only like 5%. So what can I look for in a car to see if that is going bad?

What do you like about the carrera 4 vs the carrera? Or vice verse? My purchase price will have to be less than 20k so that should tell you approximately what market I am in.

Got any good advice?
As others here have said, you cannot check the ims without dropping the transmission...and if you do that you may as well replace the ims. Lots of good information at the website, flat6innovation...but remember they are biased because they are selling the service work. From the reading I have done, plenty of cars with low mileage run into problems...low mileage, high mileage, does not matter. And while relatively few cars have this issue, the problem is, if you turn out to be unlucky, the engine rebuild will likely cost more than the purchase price of the car. Most economical way to approach this is probably buy a car that has had the ims replaced already.

One more thing...there are different products to use when replacing the ims...they are not all equal. There is plenty of information available...but hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:38 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
The best advice that I could give is do your homework, keep emotions out of the purchase, and get a PPI on the car. C4 vs. C2 is all about your preference in driving performance. IMHO, most seek out RWD with manual. I've driven both and have owned two RWD 996. AWD is great, but there is something special about these RWD vehicles.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Red5 is on a distinguished road
I'm curious as to which is faster in a drag race. The C2 or the C4? And if I have to change the IMS guessing it would be easier on a c2? I appreciate all the help. Crazy as it sounds I now have to choose between a 2000 C4 with 120k for 13k or a 2003 C2 with 91k for 16k. Both are in excellent cond, neither knows if the IMS has been changed. At least they are both 6 speeds.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Red5
I'm curious as to which is faster in a drag race. The C2 or the C4? And if I have to change the IMS guessing it would be easier on a c2? I appreciate all the help. Crazy as it sounds I now have to choose between a 2000 C4 with 120k for 13k or a 2003 C2 with 91k for 16k. Both are in excellent cond, neither knows if the IMS has been changed. At least they are both 6 speeds.
On the 996, there is not much difference in 1/4 times between the C2 and C4. But the technology has improved leaps since the 996. This day and time, a AWD Porsche 911 automatic would smoke a RWD Porsche 911 manual in the quarter.

Check this out...

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/

And yes, changing out an IMS of a C4 is lot more labor intensive when removing the tranny.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Buy the newest car you can afford as the 2003 has some updates the 2000 does not have like a glove box for one. If the IMS/RMS has not blown up by now you are probably good along with there was a change in the IMS bearing in 2001. But when the time comes for a clutch do the RMS/IMS as I will be doing soon to my 2001 C4. Oh and get a PPI.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
Buy the newest car you can afford as the 2003 has some updates the 2000 does not have like a glove box for one. If the IMS/RMS has not blown up by now you are probably good along with there was a change in the IMS bearing in 2001. But when the time comes for a clutch do the RMS/IMS as I will be doing soon to my 2001 C4. Oh and get a PPI.
There are a lot of modest "improvements" on the Mk2 996. That is, turbo style front lights, front and rear bumper skins, better aerodynamics, digital radios (e.g. PCM2), but one of the biggest is the engines went from a Varicam 3.4L to Varicam Plus 3.6L. Unfortunately, one of the downsides is Porsche stuck with a single row IMS bearing. (((sad trombone))) Wak Waaak WAaaaAaaaaK!!!!

The IMS didn't improve until 2006 with the larger single row... and of course was pretty much solved with complete engine redesign in 2009.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:27 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by b3freak
There are a lot of modest "improvements" on the Mk2 996. That is, turbo style front lights, front and rear bumper skins, better aerodynamics, digital radios (e.g. PCM2), but one of the biggest is the engines went from a Varicam 3.4L to Varicam Plus 3.6L. Unfortunately, one of the downsides is Porsche stuck with a single row IMS bearing. (((sad trombone))) Wak Waaak WAaaaAaaaaK!!!!

The IMS didn't improve until 2006 with the larger single row... and of course was pretty much solved with complete engine redesign in 2009.
Lets not forget that the in 02 4S made its appearance which is a far better car than any standard C2 or C4 and can be found in the low 20's for a higher mileage car.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
Lets not forget that the in 02 4S made its appearance which is a far better car than any standard C2 or C4 and can be found in the low 20's for a higher mileage car.
Yea, the C4S does have the sexiest look of all 996 cars IMHO with it's turbo wide body and the iconic center reflector strip, but why do you think it's far better than a Carrera RWD "C2"?

Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by b3freak
Yea, the C4S does have the sexiest look of all 996 cars IMHO with it's turbo wide body and the iconic center reflector strip, but why do you think it's far better than a Carrera RWD "C2"?
Suspension, big red brakes, wider tires and rims and the upgrades you get in the 4S package.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:11 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
I had a 996 C2 Cab for 7 years, loved it. I didn't have any IMS issues, but did have a coolant/oil intermix cracked head problem. With help I got a new motor goodwilled from PNA even though the car was out of warranty. Now, I've had a '6 TT Cab since '10 and it's nice as well. From day one with the TT, I missed the C2 nimble steering and typical 911 handling of the rear weighted bias car. A few years ago I removed the front diff, shaft and front axles converting it to RWD like a GT2. Best car ever now, not because the turbos, as I'd be just as happy with a GT3 motor in a Cab. I like the bulletproof Mezger motor, RWD and a Cab. If you truly appreciate being involved in the driving process, I'd say RWD is the most rewarding.