996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 996 Gets Blown - Details Inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
My 996 Gets Blown - Details Inside

Article on VividRacing.com is HERE

A long time ago I came across TPC superchargers and wonder what their deal was. They reappeared to me when I was at SEMA in 2005 and I saw the supercharger kit in person on a yellow 997. At one point I said I was totally satisfied with my 996 and I would not touch it. I got the bug and wanted more power. With the cost of Turbo 996’s still up there, I wanted another solution, I wanted to do something that most people don’t see, and I wanted to show what Vivid Racing is capable of doing in the Porsche world.

Making a call to Mike Levitas of TPC put Vivid Racing in motion with a project. Shortly there after a 996 Supercharger Kit appeared and the install process was ready to begin. The idea behind the kit is good. Using a roots style supercharger similar to OEM’s like Ford, gives for good consistant power. The liquid to air intercooler was engineered well and the overall packaging was on point.

Enter Vivid Racing…

After doing some pulls on our Mustang dyno, our car made about 230 rear wheel horsepower. The supercharger kit was expected to add about a 100 horsepower. Diving into the car and removing components and installing the kit was definitely a TEDIOUS task. Like most aftermarket parts, there is always a little something you have to do, and that is why you pay to have it installed correctly .

95% of the install went good. Their cooling system utilizes the factory 3rd radiator kit. We already had the 3rd radiator kit to keep the cars temps down since we are in AZ. So we utilized a PWR cooler which we side mounted as seen in our pictures. Now we have the ability of perfect engine cooling and supercharger cooling. Amongst some different tweaks we did on the install, the kit was finally shoe horned in. With a fresh oil change and some new spark plugs it was time to fire it up. We turned the key and were golden. Some revs of the engine told us that there was a supercharger that was ready to rip.

Moving the car to the dyno, it was time to get some power. The piggyback ECU that is available with the kits is pretuned for 93octane. Since we run 91 octane, we needed to retune the software. This is a basic fuel controller and is very easy to adjust. Having our diagnostics software datalogging and the other laptop making the adjustments, we changed fuel and tuned the car to make 330 rear wheel horsepower on 91 octane.

I have been personally running around in the car as a daily for a week now. Averaging about 88 degrees the car runs good. TPC has an upgrade piggyback ECU that offers much more control that we will switch to shortly. Once this is done we should have some new numbers. They are currently using this ECU on their 997 kit that is making well over 400 WHP. I have watched this whole process from start to finish so can answer any questions regarding the kit, fitment, performance, installation, and other costs.

Check out our install photos, promo video (for fun), and if you have any questions, fastest response is to shoot me a email at dan@vividracing.com.
Retail of the kit is $9995. Call for special Vivid Racing price. 480-966-3040 x222

Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Thats awesome, definitely going to plan this for my future mod, but for now, what is that body kit? and how much?

Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
MaShaw GT2 Wing, GT3 V1 side skirts and rear add ons, RUF front bumper. PM me or email me for prices.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
Difference between EVO and TPC Kit ?

I have the EVO kit installed and am very happy with it so far. I must say the TPC supercharger is very loud by comparison, but not in a bad way.

:-)

What would you say the key differences are between the EVO kit and the TPC kit ?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
what kind of price on the TPC Kit? correct me if I am wrong but the EVO kit putting down more HP correct??

Old 04-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Wagner996 is on a distinguished road
Awesome man. I can't believe the power numbers were that right on!!

Old 04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
evo_333 will become famous soon enoughevo_333 will become famous soon enough
Dan, have you run against any turbos? I wonder how your car would do....

Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
great dan.

was it an engine out job or were you able to squeeze the SC into the engine bay?

can you post some video of the engine/bay at idle and revving it up, when stationary

Last edited by karlooz; 04-19-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor
I could not tell you how it compares to the EVO kit as I have not personally driven one. Differences are in BLOWER design and fuel control. Both great designs, both make good power.

Bruce you can PM me for pricing. As far as more HP, the key fact is the BEFORE AND AFTER number. They both make about the same difference. Our dyno reads low. I can take it over to EVO's DynoJet and it would probably read 60whp more.

I have not run against any other cars yet. We are running Gumball this year in it, so will have some battles then

Old 04-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor
Engine was not removed, everything was done on the car. There is video of the car reving...

Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 AM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vividracing
Engine was not removed, everything was done on the car. There is video of the car reving...
gotcha, just downloaded it. dude, you were holding back with the revving and no full load runs?

oh ya, PROPS to vividracing for replacing my sway bar toe link ball ends. the old style ball ends kept breaking and VR kept sending me new units at no cost to me, just shipping. now that agency power had upgraded the ball ends everything is well.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor
Karlooz - I will take some new video soon... Did I get you a Agency Power shift link yet?