996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New 2003 996 owner. Now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:08 PM
schnazzy is on a distinguished road
Smile New 2003 996 owner. Now what?

So I just bought a 2003 996 (C2) but have been thinking of mods before I even aquired it. I would like to have more HP via a supercharger and maybe bump it up a bit more with some other good choices (HP/$ ratio). This is why I am posting... What other perf mods should I add to the SC? I haven't decided between EVO or TPC (or if there is another option) and I will read more posts for that unless someone wants to shout their opinion.

So this is my first post and I am already asking what mods I should do! I don't have a pic of my new baby yet (sorry) but I do have a pic of my old baby (of german heritage but not a porsche).

Thanks!

Attached Images      

Last edited by schnazzy; 08-16-2006 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
hey welcome, great looking M3 btw...here is a thread on the TPC supercharger: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t=supercharger
and heres one with tons of info on superchargers in general:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...charger+owners

Last edited by Chasen1211; 08-13-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:20 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Welcome! I am a little confused you bought an 03 996 and wanna dump another 20k into performance mods? With that 20k and what you paid for your 996 you could have gotten a 996 Twin Turbo....Far more power available for not that much money....Easy to get lots of power out of a Turbo...But now that you ask...headers, cats, mufflers, clutch, flywheel. You should ask the people that you get the S/C from, they will no doubt know what works best with their kit and their chip reprogramming. Good luck and keep us posted...oh and you are supposed to post a pic of the NEW car!!!

Old 08-13-2006, 05:12 AM
Well it could end up being 20k with rims etc, but this project might take a while. As far as a turbo is concerned I didn't see a decent one for less than 80k ('02+, not abused, high miles, colors). That would have been significantly (ie more than 20k) higher than I paid. not including taxes, maintenance, and insurance.

Over time with the correct items for performance and weight reduction, a C2 should do well, performance wise, compared to many TT's even with a 20k in mods (EVO Stage 3 etc.). More importantly, it should do well in comparison to most non-porsche's. Under 2900lb and over 500bhp for a street legal car, is hard to beat. My M3 was (somewhat) hard to beat and it was under 3200lb and was less than 400bhp.

Thanks for the thread links. I already have read through both. My M3 had a centrifugal SC but I wished it had a positive displacement. However the TPC sounds like it might be a bit loud. Well, we will see.

I should be able to get a pic up soon. Camera is borrowed and trying to get it back.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:58 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
I feel ya...plus a heavier AWD car is not for everyone...again...CONGRATS and enjoy....keep us posted on the mods!

Old 08-13-2006, 02:13 PM
CLS
CLS will become famous soon enoughCLS will become famous soon enough
Welcome aboard

Welcome to 6speedonline you wont have a problem here finding ways to bump up the HP...everyone here likes to help spend OPM! By the way the M3 is nice but you need to post pictures of your new P-car! Good luck!

Old 08-13-2006, 11:35 PM
996 MBA CFA is on a distinguished road
Before you start spending money on mods, I recommend taking your car to a track event. Get to know the car and how it handles. The car is fast from the factory.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
I agree w/996 MBA CFA. Go to a DE; Attend Porsche Driving Experience. Learn to drive the car the way Porsche built it to the limit before addressing HP. Very few can drive a 996 at it's limit without extensive seat time.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:29 AM
DE etc sounds good and I have already started looking for events in my area (p-car track days, auto-x, etc). I didn't do many track days and events with my M3. Every P-car owner I know says they (996) handle like a dream on the track. I thought my modied M3 did well so all I can say is I am excited to see what the 996 can do.

Note that the car will not be a dedicated track car. This will be a car I drive most of the time on the street.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:18 PM
996 MBA CFA is on a distinguished road
Just got back from Buttonwillow myself. It was funny because ambient temp went from 80 in the morning to 105 in the afternoon. The track got greasy and every siingle RWD either spun or went off the track. My car is lightly optioned so what I will probably do first is tires and suspension. This car does have a lot of potential though without even starting on HP mods.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM
hopefully we can get this thread back on track. The original request was to see what other perf items would be the best bang for the buck. I assume a header and exchaust system of what brand I don't know. (suncoast headers and fabspeed exchaust maybe). Also, what are good places to lighten the car (a bit). Seats, wheels, hood, I get that, anything else?

Old 08-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned
eurotekm3 can only hope to improve
Nice //M3 .. check my avatar. Im going to make it into a Porsche killing 650/750 whp turbocharged car!!! for the exterior get Techart full body kit...looks the best, wheels HRE C-series or Avus, performance i think Evolution Motorsports have a Vortech s/c kit.IMOP

Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
I have a '99 996 and my car is a runner. Best places to save weight are seats - you can easily save 90lbs+ with a light weight race seat vs the heavy (and they are HEAVY, power seats). I also exchanged my cats for the Fabspeed catbypass pipes - sounds great and saves about 25lbs. Of course my BK harness bar added back another 40lbs, I'm still around 2800lbs. For performance mods I put in Bilstein PSS-9's with GT3 swaybars (do the bars with the coilovers!). I also have a Cup lightweight flywheel, Giac software and an EVO intake. The intake looks cool, but I can't tell if the 15hp gain is from the GIAC and the intake or just the intake. With 3 sets of tire/rims for track, street and autoX I'm sure I don't have more than 10-12K in Mods (not counting the new motor I put in in the spring!)

Enjoy it!

PS - also added the BK oilpan extension and 3rd radiator with the new motor. Good ideas for tracking.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
should've gotten the 996TT

Old 08-15-2006, 12:14 PM
yeah I see what you are saying but here are the facts (as I found them for me). A good TT is about $80k, maybe 75k on a good day, then ship it and pay the 9.2% use tax in my state. Thats $84-$89k. Stock that is only 415 HP, AWG driveline loss, and 3400lb. This is compared to say less than $49k with shipping and tax, 2950lb (maybe), and 315hp.

General maintenance seems to be more expensive than a c2, and insurance is certainly more.

The TT is maybe 392rwhp stock. I add $16k to the C2 and am maybe at 440rwhp and 2800+ (approx). So now I am at $65k with a car that should have no problem against a stock TT and many other cars. The C2 should be good all the way up to the GT600 stage4 TT (maybe a bit shy). The GT600 installed is maybe $18k on a good day? So the question is $105k+ TT or $65k C2.

Please note my statements are generalities and there are other factors that could weigh in on these comparisons. Sure I could find a TT for less, maybe joes p-car fixer in bfe could do less expensive maintenance or installs, but thats not a realistic way for me to choose a car. Sure I love the big butt Turbo, and the cool isht it has but I am not a rich fellow, I have no family money, I don't have a 100k+ a year job, I don't lease a car I couldn't otherwise affort, I don't have multiple women (wives, gfriends, ho's) that earn money for me. I do have a couple small businesses that keep me out of single-wides and bologna sandwhiches for dinner but I am no donald trump. I know there are guys on this board who have lots of funds and I say to them, send me some! Hopefully I hit everyone in that, the rich (new and old money), the poor, pimps, and the posers. If I missed you, let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 2003 996 owner. Now what?