996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

HP gains from upsolute reflash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:57 PM
mjl
mjl is on a distinguished road
HP gains from upsolute reflash?

I have a Gemballa exhaust w/ K&N intake on my 01 C4, and am now considering the upsolute reflash. If it really gives close to 20 HP at the crank (as advertised) for $700 I'm in. Can anyone with a similar set up tell me what to expect?
Thanks

Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mjl
I have a Gemballa exhaust w/ K&N intake on my 01 C4, and am now considering the upsolute reflash. If it really gives close to 20 HP at the crank (as advertised) for $700 I'm in. Can anyone with a similar set up tell me what to expect?
Thanks
mjl, if you check on vividracing.com, where im assuming youre looking as well, they quote 22 hp ans 15 lb/ft of tq! for only the chip! I would imagine with your gemballa exhaust(what does that quote for hp and tq by the way?) and k&n(which k&n do you have and how much hp and tq does that quote), you would prob be looking at 25-30? maybe. thats def some nice hp from a couple minor things IMO. I have always heard good things about upsolute so my oppinion, go for it and let me know bc im thinking about doing the same as well. In other words, do and and let us all know how it goes.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:31 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
mjl,
Nice set up. I too have a GEMBALLA power kit and K&N drop in filter. Was also thinking about the Upsolute reflash untill heard the even with there latest version they still need to remove the ECU and solder. Therefore, going with GIAC next week.
$700 would be worth it if you truly get 20 HP. Alex at MaxRPM will be doing my work and we'll a/b dyno test to see if we can get a little more from my GT3. If need be, he'll work directly w/GIAC to custom write a new program since not enough modded GT3's running around in my area. GIAC also has a 30 day $$ back guarantee.
My seat of the pants tells me that upon installation of the G-kit, the following was the results:
-Lower deeper tone, slightly louder than stock
-Lost some torque throughout the powerband
-Power curve was moved 1K higher
-Slight increase in power throughout powerband
-Seems to be running slightly leaner from idle to red line
Expectations for reflash:
-Smoother remap of e-gas, especially felt during low speed pedal modulation
-Regain some lost mid range
-Stronger top end where it seems to lean out
GL and let us know your progress.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:42 PM
mjl
mjl is on a distinguished road
Yeah - 20 HP would def be worth $700, but I'm worried the only thing I'd really notice would be the higher redline. When will you have the results from the GIAC dyno on your GT3? (it's beautiful btw)

PorscheC4 - 1st owner added the exhaust so I'm not sure what Gemballa quotes....I'd guess ~ 5 to 10 Hp. I have the new K&N CAI kit that sparked all the debate a few weeks back. K&N was claiming over 20 HP but that is a little misleading. It def pulls harder now and sounds incredible > 4,000 RPMs.
Vivid posted here a few weeks ago reflashing after exhaust & K&N CAI would add 20+HP & I'm curious if anyone has tried it.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:52 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
mjl,
Good point however, a higher redline isn't such a bad thing. Car goes into shop next Monday. Will post results (hopefully good). As you know, mods don't neccessarily mean better performance. I believe that by doing them, we just want the right combination for our personal driving experience.
Thanks for the compliment on the girl.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:31 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mjl
Yeah - 20 HP would def be worth $700, but I'm worried the only thing I'd really notice would be the higher redline.
i think you'd be lucky to see 10Hp to the wheels with an ECU mod and the chances of you actually "feeling" a 10RWHP increase on 260 plus HP vehicle is slim. i'd put the money into your suspension.

even though the gains from the exhaust and intake are probably insignificant as well, there is at least a definite audible difference which adds to the enjoyment of the car.

if you must take the plunge, do the giac. they're more expensive for a reason...

Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 PM
RJMDAD996 is on a distinguished road
I have the GIAC installed in my 03 Targa with mucho other mods - the results were trully night and day the power delivery is amazing.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:57 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RJMDAD996
I have the GIAC installed in my 03 Targa with mucho other mods - the results were trully night and day the power delivery is amazing.
night and day huh? you must be very easily impressed to be that enthused about a 3.5% increase in HP

Old 08-25-2006, 01:31 PM
jaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura about
I am putting on the following mods this week.

Fabspeed Headers
Fabspeed Muffler Delete
Fabspeed Cat Delete

I already have the K&N in there.

RJMDAD996 I would be interested to know if you had a dyno before and after the software. I am trying to figure if it is worth it to me.

Dog, The car already has a ton of suspension work, K&W Variant III coilovers, GT3 Sways with Agency Power adjustable drop links and agency power rear adjustable controll arms. What do you think, would it be worth it?

Old 08-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Miykl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deputydog95
night and day huh? you must be very easily impressed to be that enthused about a 3.5% increase in HP
I imagine the results are more than just a max HP increase. There's also throttle responce. And mid range HP gains too. To use a bike as an example (bc that's where my experience is) I've had some bikes that a custom tune only yeilded a couple of max HP but had very nice low end and midrange gains. The result was a bike that felt alot faster despite onlt small top end gains.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by jaded996
I am putting on the following mods this week.

Fabspeed Headers
Fabspeed Muffler Delete
Fabspeed Cat Delete

I already have the K&N in there.

RJMDAD996 I would be interested to know if you had a dyno before and after the software. I am trying to figure if it is worth it to me.

Dog, The car already has a ton of suspension work, K&W Variant III coilovers, GT3 Sways with Agency Power adjustable drop links and agency power rear adjustable controll arms. What do you think, would it be worth it?
dude, i don't if it will be faster, but your car is going to be ****ing loud!!!!

Old 08-25-2006, 04:27 PM
jaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura aboutjaded996 has a spectacular aura about
dude, i don't if it will be faster, but your car is going to be ****ing loud!!!!
HAHAHAH, yeah I know. I figured I would go with everything to start, then back down on certian things if the sound bothers me. I love the sound of the porsche cup cars, i just need to see how loud, ****ing loud is.

If I dont like it I'll probably end up selling the muffler deletes and leaving the cat deletes on there. Switch it to a muffler system. I know it wont make that much of a hp difference between the muffler delete and a nice system.

The car is a weekend fun car, not my daily, the only long trips will be to shows, just hope my girl can handle the sound...hahahah

Old 08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
+1!!!! ... Good luck with that. you'll need more that a drop in chip or even gereric GIAC to make it run worth a damn. Go ahead and pull the bulb out of your CEL also...

Old 08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Miykl
I imagine the results are more than just a max HP increase. There's also throttle responce. And mid range HP gains too. To use a bike as an example (bc that's where my experience is) I've had some bikes that a custom tune only yeilded a couple of max HP but had very nice low end and midrange gains. The result was a bike that felt alot faster despite onlt small top end gains.
having a bike background too, i know what you're talking about. however, the bikes really benefit from the tuning more so due to the common low rpm dips and valley's in factory tuning. the 996 doesn't have that problem. i've tuned both bikes and cars. the chips always seem to be a waste of money on cars. the blower on the 996 was the only power mod that seemed noticeable and even that isn't night and day; although it is certainly easy to tell it's on there . it would be interesting to do a back to back blind experiment with a stock and a "chipped" car. i bet it would be hard to tell the difference if the redline remained the same. the one thing i did notice with my previously chipped vehicles was the top speed limiter was removed, although that wasn't a feature you could enjoy on a regular basis

Old 08-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by jaded996
If I dont like it I'll probably end up selling the muffler deletes and leaving the cat deletes on there. Switch it to a muffler system. I know it wont make that much of a hp difference between the muffler delete and a nice system.
For the money, you'd be better off going to a muffler shop and have them bend some pipes for you with $40 tips. Especially if you just want a taste of loud, F'n loud is!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HP gains from upsolute reflash?