996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Mandatory Must-Have Options for New 996 Buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 12:55 PM
jtrichel is on a distinguished road
Mandatory Must-Have Options for New 996 Buyer

For a potential 2004 996 C2 buyer, what are your opinions on must-have options?

I tend to be somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to sports cars - the more is better philosopy... so here is what I am thinking in terms of necessary equipment for my order car. I would like to hear from current owners if there are things I am missing here that are critical - and WHY?

2004 996 C2
18" Turbo Style Wheels
Xenons
Bose Stereo System

THANKS for your thoughts! :-)

(Dealer is offering $5k off MSRP..is that a bad, average, or good deal?)

Old 02-05-2004, 01:04 PM
keoni1978 is on a distinguished road
IMO I prefer the 5 spoke light weight wheels over the turbo style. Turbo wheels on a C2 looks funny

Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
Here's my view, in order of priority:

Porsche sport exhaust
Porsche sport exhaust
Porsche sport exhaust

If you only get one option, it should be PSE!

Other than PSE, I'd consider the following:
bi-xenons--a must
Bose stereo--the stock unit is terrible
18" Carrera wheels--they're beautiful and light
Porsche stability management--nice to have a safety net
full leather interior--not cheap, but makes a world of difference compared to the plastic standard interior
self-dimming mirror & rain sensor--particularly useful on a low sitting car like a Carrera
6 CD changer--but PSE might negate the need for it!
wheel caps with colored Porsche crest--a nice touch, and inexpensive

I have the above and a few others which you, as a minimalist, probably wouldn't be interested in!

Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 PM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
I agree with the 5 spoke wheels, I like heated seats, and from what I have seen on this board, you should be able to do better than $5k off List. But I am not sure if this includes ordered cars, But I would think so. Good Luck.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:05 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
SPorts seats with painted backs change the way the car looks from behind IMO...a must!!

Old 02-05-2004, 02:07 PM
sorry - "less is better" philosophy... :-)

Question -

I love the way the $2400 PSE sounds on the car, but cant this become a mod for later - either purchasing the OEM system or aftermarket? Or is this one of those things - better get it now if you are ever going to want it??

And is the standard leather interior REALLY that bad? I dont want to skimp on something I will hate, but this is also my first Porsche ever and I dont feel the need to get every cool option at this time...I hear that messing with the leather gets very expensive as an option... how is the standard? does anyone have the standard?

thanks for all the feedback...

Old 02-05-2004, 02:08 PM
AeroTT is on a distinguished road
1. Sports Exhaust
2. Xenons
3. Nav
4. Sport Seats with painted seat backs
5. Aerokit

Old 02-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Turbo Racer is on a distinguished road
agree with poursha's comments completely. or...

get 40k+ off a used turbo with a dealer cert warranty for 6yrs/100k mi . i did this myself on a 2001. btw, the turbo comes stock with full leather and bi-xenons and psm (all must have's). I have no regrets 4k miles later. this is my first porsche and I'm the kind of guy who would have regretted not going with a turbo. just mho.

good luck.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by jtrichel
sorry - "less is better" philosophy... :-)

Question -

I love the way the $2400 PSE sounds on the car, but cant this become a mod for later - either purchasing the OEM system or aftermarket? Or is this one of those things - better get it now if you are ever going to want it??

And is the standard leather interior REALLY that bad? I dont want to skimp on something I will hate, but this is also my first Porsche ever and I dont feel the need to get every cool option at this time...I hear that messing with the leather gets very expensive as an option... how is the standard? does anyone have the standard?

thanks for all the feedback...
I had PSE installed after I took delivery (I bought my car from dealer inventory)--you could get one for around $1,500, and to install just the mufflers (I didn't want the electronics & vacuum stuff to use the switch) is around $100.

The standard interior only has leather on the sitting surfaces of the front seats, the shifter and steering wheel rim, and perhaps one or 2 other minor areas. Full leather interior includes most of the interior in leather, and most importantly from my perspective, the dash and door panels. On my first Carrera, I had full leather seats (front seats all surfaces leather, and leather rear seats), and the full leather really makes a big difference IMHO. Sit in a car with both and decide for yourself.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:54 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC is on a distinguished road
My $.02...

If you get hollow 18" Turbo Twists, they are roughly the same weight as 18" Carrera light weights, so its a matter of asthetics...

- Xenons - yeah they might get stolen, but they are worth it
- PSM - cause you can't install it later, and you can always turn it off
- Sport seats - especially if you are broad shouldered, (sounds counter intuitive, but they are wider up top)
- PSE - can be installed later, but its a PITA to install the switch if you want to silence them
- Bose Stereo - all MY03+ cars have a fiber optic network for the radio making it harder to upgrade, so go with the best they offer
- Full Leather - You're spending over $75k for a car, it should look like it....

Everything else can be done later for roughly the same cost...

All that said, gabf1 has an interesting idea, a gently used turbo would have alot of goodies standard, and might be close the same price with oodles more performance

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
C4C_leon is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket, but I think you should also get:

-B&M Shortshifter, feels soooo good it should be standard.
-ROW M030, makes the car handle like a Porsche.
-Clear side marker lenses.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:44 PM
carcrazee is on a distinguished road
hmmmm..let see..
1. sport seats w/ painted back
2. Carbon fiber trims ( dash/center console, door handle and any)
3. Sport exhaust
4. PSM
5. aerokits
6. xenon head lights
7. color seat belts

Rims? i think after market rims look better
Bose System? you be happier w/ after market amp/sub w/ custom built box (fit between back seat and hump)...sounds much better than bose.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:53 PM
i live in TX and the dealer told me unless spending significant time on track or on ice, that PSM was really unnecessary.... I was worried about not having it for the safety aspects, but he insists that its really unncessary for an everyday driver....

is he full of crap, or is there some merit to his comments?

Old 02-05-2004, 04:06 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC is on a distinguished road
jt,
Does it rain in Texas? The low down on PSM, something like 18 sensors that monitor braking, acceleration, yaw, bla bla bla, and will correct if it senses impending doom. All it has to do is save you once, when you're taking an exit ramp a little too fast in the rain and its worth every penny.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:11 PM
ZX7R is on a distinguished road
My 2 Cents...

Wheels - get the ones YOU like on the vehicle...Everyone has their own tastes in wheels...I prefer the Sport Technos for instance others probably hate them

Xenons - These are great..especially if you have any sort of eyesight discrepancies in the dark..Get these when you order the car otherwise a fully functioning Xenon setup with auto-levelling is not available.

PSE - Great to have but not essential to order with the vehicle. This can be retrofitted later but I see this as another must have option.

Bose - Much better than the crappy stock setup. Get this option if you do not intend ripping the interior apart to install an aftermarket system. I have the Bose and am happy with it - sure you can get a better aftermarket setup ($$) but the Bose is fully integrated with the sub etc...and it is a reasonable cost option.

Leather - I actually skimped on the full leather interior. The new '02+ vehicles have a much improved 'Plastic' interior and I can honestly say that at the dealer, I looked over a full leather equipped C4S and a Plastic Interior and I really did not think it was worth the price. Leather can be maintenance intensive as well, and a lot of people like it...but I was not fussed about it and spent the money on a suspension upgrade.

PSM - Cannot be retrofitted later - I did not option this on my car, but you may wish to have it as an option especially if you tend to drive in slippery conditions. I don't miss it, I don't call myself a race driver but I do push my car a fair amount. Some people could not live without it others switch it off etc. Just remember some cars eg. GT3 do not even have PSM available as an option but that's not to say don't specify it on your car. The current crop of 996's are very easy to drive to their limits but PSM may/or may not save your butt say in a slippery mid corner incident etc...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mandatory Must-Have Options for New 996 Buyer