996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Just Ordered a 2004 996 Coupe Thanks to this board!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 03:03 PM
jtrichel is on a distinguished road
Just Ordered a 2004 996 Coupe Thanks to this board!

I appreciate everyone's patience and help with my decision process for a 996. I went back and forth - new vs. used, options, etc.

In the end, I figured it was worth a few thous extra to just order the damn thing.

Here is what I ordered:

2004 911 Coupe
Arctic Silver Metallic
Standard Black Leather

Options:
Porsche Stability Management
Xenons
18" Carrera Wheels
Porsche Crest in Headrests

The only thing I was still unsure about was the stereo... right now, he just left it stock, but said I could call back with my decision. The BOSE is pretty expensive, and I hear very mixed reviews about it. Is it just possible to upgrade the base or Hi-Fi stereo later? Are there some new fiber optics on the new model stereos that make it difficult to upgrade? I will buy the BOSE if I have to, but if it is reasonably possible to upgrade later without tearing up the car or paying an arm & a leg, that is what I would rather do...

thoughts?

Thanks again to everyone for all their help

Old 02-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the car!

I have the Hi-fi stereo in mine. While not all that great, I didn't buy the car for the stereo and I usually have it off or very low so I can hear the sweet sounds of the engine/exhaust.

If you plan on upgrading your stereo to some aftermarlet stuff I would leave it stock. If you order Hi-Fi or Bose you will get the MOST system and you cannot reuse those wires if upgrading with aftermarket items.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
Awesome, congrats!!

I would forego the BOSE, to me, it's crap and an unnecessary expense if you are planning to upgrade later. Depends on how you like to listen to music. At the very least, get the Hifi, as this gives you door speakers to work with. (the standard system I believe does not) And this will save money when you do upgrade.

One thing I am really happy I have on my, which I found worth it, is the full leather. It's more to condition and clean, but it looks fantastic. Why no Porsche Sport Exhaust?? Heated seats? Cruise Control (I drive a lot on the freeway and found this a must have.)? OBC?

Did they give you a date yet?

PS Kirby made a good point in that they will not re-use the MOST wiring, but more then likely, they will pull it all out and give you new wiring. Which is what happened in my case. I would definitely want those door speakers. There are a lot of varibles.

Last edited by RobynC; 02-13-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:23 PM
RobynC - Pure budget issues. If money was no object, certainly Sport Exhaust, Full Leather, and some others would have been on the list. I am getting the car for exactly $70k out the door with TTL included. That was, to the penny, my budget ceiling. I dont feel like I am compromising too much though, because the options I got were the most important to me...

Itzkirb - so are you saying DO get the hi-fi or BOSE or not if I want to upgrade later? sounded like you were saying that if I want to upgrade, I should just go stock now...but RobynC, you seem to think that I need at least Hi-Fi for speaker placement?

this stereo stuff is very confusing to me.... :-) Lets assume that I would rather upgrade later (IF I can), but if that is not really possible, I will certainly get the BOSE now...

help! :-)

Old 02-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Robyn is right, you should at least get the Hi-fi.

Cost is decent compared to Bose, Sound is decent, Speaker placement is good for upgrading.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
I with Robyn I think Full leather is a must have.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:39 PM
DDW
DDW is on a distinguished road
The Bose system is a waste of money,if you ask me go for the M030 and the side skirts and your car is perfect.

cheers,

DDW

Old 02-13-2004, 03:43 PM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Did you get your 8-9K off? What time frame did they give you. I am very close to ordering myself. Thanks

Old 02-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by jtrichel
RobynC - Pure budget issues. If money was no object, certainly Sport Exhaust, Full Leather, and some others would have been on the list. I am getting the car for exactly $70k out the door with TTL included. That was, to the penny, my budget ceiling. I dont feel like I am compromising too much though, because the options I got were the most important to me...

Itzkirb - so are you saying DO get the hi-fi or BOSE or not if I want to upgrade later? sounded like you were saying that if I want to upgrade, I should just go stock now...but RobynC, you seem to think that I need at least Hi-Fi for speaker placement?

this stereo stuff is very confusing to me.... :-) Lets assume that I would rather upgrade later (IF I can), but if that is not really possible, I will certainly get the BOSE now...

help! :-)
Forego the Bose system and get the hifi if you intend to upgrade. If you can, take a listen to what the Bose system sounds like compared to the Hifi and make your decision. For some, the Bose is just fine. It's all personal taste.

I understand the budgetary concerns. OBC is a great must have, it's only a couple hundred dollars and worth it. Cruise control is another goodie...and not too expensive. You definitely selected some great options for "must haves".

Old 02-13-2004, 03:51 PM
JNX -

i got a super killer deal with much much haggling... If you have not ordered yet, and dont care where you order from, consider Raphael Caldo at Autobahn in Ft. Worth, TX...he is giving me a great deal...

Sorry have sat in the full leather and it just doesnt do a whole lot for me...

As far as the stereo, sounds like I need to at least get the HI-FI... so then I start thinking, only $800 more for BOSE. However, if the consensus is that BOSE is crap, then I think I will take that $800 and wait to upgrade later.

As far as the side skirts and M030 (DDW), I think both are good options, but can be added later.... (correct me if I am wrong)

Old 02-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by SANDOVAL
I with Robyn I think Full leather is a must have.
I agree with these guys, Full leather is a must have and adds to the overall driving experience. On days that I don't drive the Porsche, I just open the door to smell the leather

Good luck with your choice, I understand about the budget, been there done that.

Old 02-13-2004, 04:04 PM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by RobynC
Forego the Bose system and get the hifi if you intend to upgrade. If you can, take a listen to what the Bose system sounds like compared to the Hifi and make your decision. For some, the Bose is just fine. It's all personal taste.

I understand the budgetary concerns. OBC is a great must have, it's only a couple hundred dollars and worth it. Cruise control is another goodie...and not too expensive. You definitely selected some great options for "must haves".
I thought OBC was standard, as well as cruise control

Old 02-13-2004, 04:22 PM
i think OBC and cruise control are both standard from what i can tell...

anyone on this board HAPPY with their stock BOSE system? :-)

Old 02-13-2004, 04:31 PM
jnx
Originally posted by jtrichel
JNX - No I have not ordered yet, I am close, Looks like I might trade, Could you send me his email so I could contact them? Thanks

i got a super killer deal with much much haggling... If you have not ordered yet, and dont care where you order from, consider Raphael Caldo at Autobahn in Ft. Worth, TX...he is giving me a great deal...

Sorry have sat in the full leather and it just doesnt do a whole lot for me...

As far as the stereo, sounds like I need to at least get the HI-FI... so then I start thinking, only $800 more for BOSE. However, if the consensus is that BOSE is crap, then I think I will take that $800 and wait to upgrade later.

As far as the side skirts and M030 (DDW), I think both are good options, but can be added later.... (correct me if I am wrong)

Old 02-13-2004, 05:30 PM
jnx -

Autobahn Motorcars
3000 White Settlement Rd, Fort Worth, TX 76107
(817) 336-0885

I have no affiliation with this dealer, and receive no "referral bonus" or anything else... I just thing Raphael Caldo is a nice mand and good salesman...tell him Jonathan sent you if you want.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered a 2004 996 Coupe Thanks to this board!