996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Buying a previously RMS afflicted car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
mookie is on a distinguished road
Buying a previously RMS afflicted car

I've run across a possible purchase candidate that has had RMS surgery. It is a 2002 with 10K miles, and the engine was replaced at 5K due to RMS failure.

Any reason to be leary of such a vehicle?

Is the replacement engine more, less, or equally likely to have another RMS failure?

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:30 PM
CA996 is on a distinguished road
I would be interested too, as I am the newest member of the RMS Club. Just found out today that I am a member.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:40 PM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
Does this engine have the RMS setup on it as well? If so, it depends on driving conditions and how the vehicle is treated. Any time you modify an engine, you will have more of a change of having problems (no matter who is the tuner).

Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
I would say you have no worries. I have had five RMS replacements between two Porsches. And additionally, two engines in the previous Porsche. I didn't think it was a huge deal because the car was under warranty and Porsche has always stepped up to the plate and taken care of business in my case.

I am not exactly sure where a "tuner" would come into this as I am sure the dealer did this repair. The replacement of the engine is a fairly easy job thanks to how frequent this is actually done. Additionally, the RMS repair itself is no big deal. Again, thanks to frequency. The engine is not being modified during replacement or during a repair of the RMS or ISS. So that isn't an issue either. I had no problems with either of my engines aside from the RMS issue I had. (Concentricity issue). If the crank meets a certain tolerance level, it is then replaced.

Yes, the new engine will have an RMS. Will it leak? There is that chance. But, then there are those of us who have never had this problem. It's rather hit and miss. I just seem to be a magnet for them. Oh well. One just deals.

My only advise would be to make part of your deal, the car a "Certified" Pre Owned Porsche, giving you 100k miles and six years. Not that I would anticipate any problems, but that is a nice bargaining tool. I am actually rather impressed that the seller has divulged this information. Hell, I think a new engine is a good thing. In the case of my Boxster, the new engine pulled harder, smoother...it was fantastic. Although I haven't had an engine replacement in my C2...I'm not holding my breath...and I'm not worried about it either.

Old 02-17-2004, 04:58 AM
Greyghost is on a distinguished road
Robyn is spot on! I had my RMS repaced @ 2K miles and have not had a problem since.

Old 02-17-2004, 05:34 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
TCM - RMS here means rear main seal leak

Old 02-17-2004, 09:38 AM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
Ah, my lack of 6speedonline knowledge has caught up with me. I thought you guys were talking about Race Marque Systems out of California, hence the tuner aspect. Sorry for the confusion. I will go hide in the corner now.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Porsche Chick
Originally posted by TCM
Ah, my lack of 6speedonline knowledge has caught up with me. I thought you guys were talking about Race Marque Systems out of California, hence the tuner aspect. Sorry for the confusion. I will go hide in the corner now.
Shucks, thanks for educating me....

Old 02-17-2004, 02:19 PM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
I had the RMS leak problem and the engine replaced. The car has worked flawlessly since and I was able to shed 20K miles of wear and tear.

Now I'm hoping something happens to the transmission.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The car is for sale by the original owner, so it is not certified.

Sales tax becomes an issue here to some extent. Basically, you can buy the same car for almost 5K less due to no sales tax. That might pay for a lot of RMS repairs.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Porsche Chick
Well Mookie, that warranty should travel with the car, not the owner. So you should be just fine. If the car is the right price, I wouldn't let anything like the RMS/engine replacement thing get in the way of owning an awesome car!

Good luck,
Robyn

Old 02-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Yes, the 2 remaining years of factory warranty stays with the car.

I guess I just wasn't sure of the magitude of the RMS problem.

Thanks.