996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

cars dead engine locked need help please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:06 AM
hec
hec is on a distinguished road
Question cars dead engine locked need help please!

i have had a carrera 2000 for about a year now. during my ownership of this car, i have had all sorts of problems. water pump some sensor problems. everything was taken care of my the same mechanic and so was the 60k mile service were he said that he had to drop the engine to change the head gaskets. less than 250 miles after thise i was driving on the express way and my car started loosing power for about a minute and then just died. the car was sounding horrible before it finally shut off. i towed to car to the mechanic and he says that i over reved the engine and that is why the car shut off. i dont recall over reving on any down shifts. i think that is something that i would notice. also no CEL or any other lights or sensors when off when it happened. if i had over reved the engine wouldnt i atleast get a CEL? how could i know for sure that it was my fault and not that they did something wrong during all their repairs? is there any way that it could have been their fault? thank you very much for any help in advance.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:45 AM
SLA
SLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud ofSLA has much to be proud of
The car's computer stores over-rev events, but you may have to take it to a dealer to get that data- if you want it. Do you have an extended warranty? If so, I would talk to that co. about how to proceed and have them authorize any work before you start a big engine tear down.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
type 2 over revs are stored in the car and they can tell the extent of the over rev, as well as the time it occured

Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
hmmm, dropping the engine on head gaskets? Was the head gasket replacement neceassary? Its not part of 60K service. Water Pump sensor, what sensor is that? Does the car run now? Cel related are usually with the emissions. If Cel is blinking... your done. Is your mechanic reputable? How does he knows its overevved? Did he go online with the ecu and checked it?...Just some questions, Im thinking in my head.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:16 PM
hec
hec is on a distinguished road
yea he said the head gasket replacement was necessary. and not water pump sensor i meant water pump and some other sensors. the car doesnt run it does crank either. cell is not blinking but it has blinked before. he said he checked it with a ecu scanner. does he have to go online to get it checked? thank you

Old 01-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Online with the ecu, yes. I dont want to be negative... maybe you can weigh the price difference of trying to fix it up vs a new motor. A new motor will be +/- 10K. If you can swing it I would go this route since you may have a problem motor. The dealer will need to install the new motor if you want the warrenty that will go along with it. 60K miles is nothing but, experiencing problem this early may indicate that the previous did not care for the car or is just a problematic motor and may cost more in the future. Sorry for your troubles.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
well with all that has been said there hasn't really been any mention of the actual problem! what is the problem, did the accused over rev cause a piston or connecting rod failure, did the motor blow? is there a hole in the block? did it seize? these are imperative in attempting to find out the problem, from the sounds of it i think that the motor is seized, seems like it over heated causing the loss in power and then totally seized possibly taking out some piston rings...hence the bad sounds and inability to crank... and if it did in fact seize i would be very careful with what that mechanic does to the car since the cause could possible be a leak or failure of the head gasket causing you to loose coolant(possible result of the work done on the car recently).... again these are just thought being thrown around....odd that you didn't see any warning lights though..
but get some details and clarity! don't get taken for a ride. either way it's a mess and lots of aggrevation.

Last edited by Sharp; 01-12-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
2fas4u is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 2nd opinion

Take your car somewhere else, over revs don't cause the car not to start again.
You would know an over rev and you would let off the gas, if he's telling you you had an over rev and you know you didn't and nobody else drives your car take it some where else. Have them check on the head gasket work he did, this could be a cover. I had many over revs and quick clutch and the car never cuts off just out. Then it always runs fine, if i were you (and i'm not ) i'd get someone else a dealer to look at the car. (my .02)

Old 01-12-2007, 05:05 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Yes a dealer will tell you EXACTLY whats going on...it may cost you a few hundred, but you will know whats going on.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I agree with others who suggest you should have it towed to the dealer for a second opinion. It's strange the car seized right after the work. Not trying to blame your mechanic, but before you shell out major bucks have it double checked. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
whats the diffrence between Type 1 & 2 over rev?

Old 01-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by Zookie
whats the diffrence between Type 1 & 2 over rev?
Type 1 is when you hit limiter accelerating on the up shift. Eg: shift 1-2 (normal acceleration). Type 2 is when you hit limiter accelerating on a downshift Eg shift 2-1 (due to user error).

Old 01-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
how can Type 2 Over Rev hurt your motor? i mean its all computerized and stuff right? what if you Type 2 for like 1-2 Second before you realize you messed up and then up shift? kill your motor?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
I can tell you exactly what's going on. Your mechanic was trying to stiff you for money with an expensive, unnecessary item (head gaskets, dropped engine, etc...) This is similar to needing special HID headlight fluid. He screwed up the install, and the engine blew up. Now he's trying to cover himself by telling you it's your fault because you over-revved it (which you probably didn't anyways). He almost certainly had you sign some small-print form absolving him of all possible damages resulting from the maintenance, so you probably don't have a lot of legal recourse. Find a new mechanic.

Zookie: A type-1 overrev shouldn't hurt anything. This is you giving it too much gas and bouncing off the rev limiter. That's why the rev limiter is there, to stop you from hurting something. A type-2 overrev can potentially hurt your engine because the engine is being dragged mechanically above the redline. The rev-limiter can't stop that. If you go higher than the tolerances of the engine allow, you could break things. But it's a significant event that you would remember. (Like trying to shift from 5th to 4th and getting 2nd instead.) The extent of damage depends on what you did and for how long. Only a second or two might be a learning experience, or it might be a new engine, depending on how severe that second or two was.

Last edited by Gramicci101; 01-14-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Gramicci101
Zookie: A type-1 overrev shouldn't hurt anything. This is you giving it too much gas and bouncing off the rev limiter. That's why the rev limiter is there, to stop you from hurting something. A type-2 overrev can potentially hurt your engine because the engine is being dragged mechanically above the redline. The rev-limiter can't stop that. If you go higher than the tolerances of the engine allow, you could break things. But it's a significant event that you would remember. (Like trying to shift from 5th to 4th and getting 2nd instead.) The extent of damage depends on what you did and for how long. Only a second or two might be a learning experience, or it might be a new engine, depending on how severe that second or two was.
cool thanks...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cars dead engine locked need help please!