996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What constitutes an over-rev? Not mechanical over-rev.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 AM
UCrazyKid will become famous soon enoughUCrazyKid will become famous soon enough
What constitutes an over-rev? Not mechanical over-rev.

The car is a 2002 Carrera 2 (3.6L). The redline is marked from 7,000 to 8,000 RPM. When is the fuel shut off? What is considered an over rev? I've noticed that when I am winding the car up fast and shift at about 7,000 RPM that the revs will continue to climb for a second after I am off the gas and cluch in as I select the next gear.

Is this a function of the "drive by wire" system? In other cars I have never noticed this.

Will this constitute an over-rev? Will the computer be recording these? Is there a way to find out over-rev info with out an OBDII scan tool?

Andy

Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 PM
K2@Brandywine is on a distinguished road
Using the PIWIS tester, we can check the "over-revs" in the DME vehicle data. There are two ranges listed, range 1 and range 2. Range one refers to at redline, ie bouncing off the rev limiter. Range two is an actual mechanical over-rev, ie on highway, 80 mph, downshift to second to pass, ZING. Hitting the rev limiter is no problem. Your dealer can check the over-rev ranges for you, and should be able to provide you with a print out of the vehicle data.

Kevin

Old 02-04-2007, 02:45 PM
UCrazyKid will become famous soon enoughUCrazyKid will become famous soon enough
What is the actual rev limit set at? When does the fuel cut off kick in?

Old 02-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
over rev is set at 7200, GIAC sets it at 7300. Yes, the fuel will be limited at this point, this is a function of e-gas. E-gas also knows the load A/C, heater, pumps, etc on the engine and adjust how much gas to put in rather than your foot, so that your gas pedal will consistantly be in the same position regadless of engine load.