996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Track Upgrades (PICS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Looks like they supplied you with the 996TT curved front drop links..
Although they should work fine..

So did you corner balance the car? What about rear adjustable links?
Did you set the car up with out any pre load on the bars?

Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Looks like they supplied you with the 996TT curved front drop links..
Although they should work fine..

So did you corner balance the car? What about rear adjustable links?
Did you set the car up with out any pre load on the bars?
996TT and c4 are the same links.
They were prev balance about 300 miles ago... no load on the bars (they are adjustable)

Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
arenared is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redridge
Your gonna need a new oil change, oil filter, o rings etc. Also, gasket sealer for the pan, call your porsche dealer about this. You dont need alot of this when applying to the pan, I waited overnight before putting oil. Though, Porsche said this is unnecessary. Also, loctite (blue) and torque the bolts 6-7lbs.

I took the car out for a spin last friday and watched the oil level, I originally put in 9.6 quarts and it was dead on the marker (dip stick) Gauge on the dash sez full. During the drive, I had to get fuel and noticed my oil was low (dip stick and the gauge and no leaks anywhere). After the drive I had to put another quart in. This pan holds another quart of oil? Or maybe I had to flush everything out during the install.

This pan is really interesting cause it uses gaskets that stays flush to the inner wall of the sump as part of the baffles encasement. So it actually holds more oil in the baffle enclosure...but an extra quart of oil just by changing the pan, is a surprise?

Does anyone know if the x51 powerkit expands the oil capacity to another quart? I know there are extra oil pumps and cams/rods intake etc.. for this kit.

Anyway, Im not complaining an extra quart is OK in my book...

If anyone here decides to do this mod, can you confirm the extra quart and post it in this thread... that would be sweet if it did that, I have a 3.4 by the way.

I got the part here: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=996sport
Thanks for all the great info. I'm due for an oil change in a few weeks anyway, so this is good timing. Since the stock sump "bulkhead" has flaps in it, then the main advantage seems to be the larger chamber when it seals against the inner walls, I guess. Upon staring at your pics a few times, I now see the gaskets in between the rivets.

Sounds pretty straight forward except perhaps being a little paranoid about breaking the old seal. I'm assuming a thin layer of the sealant will do. I would imagine there would be oil dripping down and getting on the sealing surfaces. How did you handle this? Just wait, wipe down with a lint-free cloth, other? Just trying to budget how much time for this. Thanks, again!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by arenared
Thanks for all the great info. I'm due for an oil change in a few weeks anyway, so this is good timing. Since the stock sump "bulkhead" has flaps in it, then the main advantage seems to be the larger chamber when it seals against the inner walls, I guess. Upon staring at your pics a few times, I now see the gaskets in between the rivets.

Sounds pretty straight forward except perhaps being a little paranoid about breaking the old seal. I'm assuming a thin layer of the sealant will do. I would imagine there would be oil dripping down and getting on the sealing surfaces. How did you handle this? Just wait, wipe down with a lint-free cloth, other? Just trying to budget how much time for this. Thanks, again!!!
On the outside of the sump there is a pry area where you can pry the pan away from the body (dont forget to remove the bolts first, but leave 2 so that it wont fall on your head ). Make sure that the oil stops dripping, more will come out when the pan is seperated from the body. Once oil is out, wipe the inside down. Make sure the the seal area is clean, I used a razor to get the residuals off. Notice also the amount of seal on there (its not much, a light coat will do).
I waited overnight before I added oil (Porsche sez its not necessary).
I would like your feedback on how much oil you put in before and after a days drive...Renntech states I need 9.6 quarts but I wound up addin an extra quart... (wierd), I have a 3.4. Thanks for the feedback!