996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Reliability: 3.4 - 3.6 - Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Jurichar is infamous around these parts
Reliability: 3.4 - 3.6 - Turbo

Ok here's the deal. I had a guy come to my house today to look at buying my car. Im asking $37k FIRM and he is willing to pull the trigger and buy it from me. Right now the car has 75k miles on it, it needs an rms and it needs the spark plug sleeves changed (oil leaks), other than that its a GREAT car!!! I use this car as a daily driver in the summer and i RACK up some miles, i put 12k on in 4 months last year.

I would like to buy a car that i can put quite a few miles on and own for the next umpteen years. Help me make my decision here...these are my options...

BTW...i should mention that mine is a non aero and i really want a facelift, but i cant justify the massive cost...now

Should I:

1) keep my car, drive it, and love it until the wheels fall off and hope to hell the engine good for another 75k miles (it might very well be too)

2) Sell the car, buy a 02+ with low miles and some mods and drive it until the wheels fall off
-how is the 3.6 reliability vs the 3.4???

3) Sell the whole N/A idea and go w/ a 01 turbo?!?
-my only issue with this option is...i have NO clue about turbo reliability. i dont want this thing to break down all the time.

arrg!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
if you can get a turbo..do it, and dont look back. Turbo are very reliable, more so than the N/A 3.4 or 3.6...no rms issue there.
going to 3.4 to 3.6 are better reliabilty but not to much...3.6 are still prone to rms...but you do get the facelift...37K for your car, if you can do it! You can get 02 for 40K-45K but have to shop around. I would keep you new wheels though

Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
lol...oh yeah..the wheels stay with me...unless i go w/ a turbo they you'll buy em

Now i also have to look at the cab vs coupe decision. I love my convertable, but coupes look amazing!!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:49 PM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
#3. No question. Assuming you can choke down the $$. BTW, the turbo is a different block from the naturally aspirated (except the GT3).

Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Go Turbo!!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 AM
what kind of long term milage are people getting out of these turbos??

lol...im gonna call my ins company tomarrow. they may get a lil upset

Old 04-03-2007, 12:33 AM
viper501 is infamous around these parts
I'm sure most of the turbos are garage queens so its probably going to be difficult to find any 'high' mileage ones out there.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Marx is infamous around these parts
Some may know me from the 996TT section, where I used to post a lot when I still had my 996TT... The TT's are highly reliable since their engine is based on the good old 964 engine block (even their crank case's part number starts with 964).

I only went for a 996 4S now, because my need for infernal power is kinda satisfied through my SL55 (which I use as a daily ride). Main reason for the 996 4S the fact that it was a really good deal (...and came with the original Porsche warranty). I also prefer the looks of the 4S over the TT.

Btw. I wouldn't buy ANY 996 (no matter what year) without original Porsche warranty.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 AM
spyderman33 is infamous around these parts
So what are you going to do when the warranty runs out?

Originally Posted by Marx
Some may know me from the 996TT section, where I used to post a lot when I still had my 996TT... The TT's are highly reliable since their engine is based on the good old 964 engine block (even their crank case's part number starts with 964).

I only went for a 996 4S now, because my need for infernal power is kinda satisfied through my SL55 (which I use as a daily ride). Main reason for the 996 4S the fact that it was a really good deal (...and came with the original Porsche warranty). I also prefer the looks of the 4S over the TT.

Btw. I wouldn't buy ANY 996 (no matter what year) without original Porsche warranty.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:54 AM
John Romano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jurichar
what kind of long term milage are people getting out of these turbos??

lol...im gonna call my ins company tomarrow. they may get a lil upset
My next door neighbor has an 04 TTS, Cab, Tip, he has driven daily (as a commuter) since new. The car has 30,000 miles on it, and other than the requisite oil changes and scheduled maintenance, it has never been back to the dealer for ANYTHING. I love my C2, but a TT is definitely in the future for me....

Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by spyderman33
So what are you going to do when the warranty runs out?
Don't know how that's handled in the states, but in Germany you can always extend the warranty for another year until the car is 10 years old. The Porsche warranty will also automatically be transferred from one owner to another since it is bound to the car and not to the owner. Call your local P-dealer to get more details about that.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:31 PM
when you say any 996, you mean turbo and na?? btw thanks for all the good comments, such a hard decision

Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jurichar
when you say any 996, you mean turbo and na?? btw thanks for all the good comments, such a hard decision
Since the TT is more reliable, you may consider a ride with no Porsche warranty if you get a good offer. But the warranty really covers a lot of stuff besides engine... it also covers all the electronic stuff. I always went for the warranty and it always was worth to pay a little extra for the warranty (I had 3 996 cars so far... a 98' C2, a 02' TT and my current 04' C4S). The only car that had no warranty was the C2... and (following Murphy's law) THAT was the car were I blew the engine on the Autobahn.

But Porsche paid for the engine and parts (because the car had still low mileage and was just out of warranty). I had to pay for the labour hours though.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 PM
MAD CAT is infamous around these parts
For all the goodies you have done to your cab, the painted calipers, the rear seat floor speakers and the deal of steal SSRs, now you want to get rid of her ?? It's a good price for $37K tho...

I will definitely vote for TURBO, no questions ask !!!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 PM
mtv65 is infamous around these parts
Out of the 3 996's you've owned, which one had the least visits to the shop?

Your progression seems somewhat off...shouldn't it be C2, C4S then TT? Just curious...

Originally Posted by Marx
Since the TT is more reliable, you may consider a ride with no Porsche warranty if you get a good offer. But the warranty really covers a lot of stuff besides engine... it also covers all the electronic stuff. I always went for the warranty and it always was worth to pay a little extra for the warranty (I had 3 996 cars so far... a 98' C2, a 02' TT and my current 04' C4S). The only car that had no warranty was the C2... and (following Murphy's law) THAT was the car were I blew the engine on the Autobahn.

But Porsche paid for the engine and parts (because the car had still low mileage and was just out of warranty). I had to pay for the labour hours though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reliability: 3.4 - 3.6 - Turbo