996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Vibration at speed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:56 AM
NYSEGuy is on a distinguished road
Question Vibration at speed?

As some of you know, I put some 19's on the car recently that I bought used from a"boardmember". After I put them on, I noticed strong vibration and shimmying at certain speeds, fast or slow, and smoothness at other speeds. I went as far as getting new tires on her to see if that would fix it and it did somewhat, but when I go over 110-120, I still get the vibration back, and now it's showing up at lower speeds again. Is it possible that the wheels could be bent and vibration show up at certain speeds and not others? I'm taking her to the dealer today to see if they can sort it out, but what should I tell my service advisor to look out for?

Thanks in advance

Ed

Old 03-25-2004, 08:28 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC is on a distinguished road
Silly question but have you had the wheels balanced? Have them rebalance them...weights maybe a bit off...

Old 03-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Yup, the place that put the new tires on balanced them for me. It seems like they're a reputable shop here in town since alot of local PCA members go there to switch / keep their track wheels or tires there. Like I said, the new tires helped reduce the severity of the vibration but it's still there none the less. Is this the trade off for using aftermarket wheels or going up in size?

BTW one of the guys showed me the new Pilot Sport cups, and those things are sick!!!

Old 03-25-2004, 08:50 AM
cab2u is on a distinguished road
As long as the wheels are not bent or out of round, you need to have them balanced with a state of the art machine. Take a look here.
http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/Balancer.htm

Most dealers now use these. You can search for a someone in your area that has one on that site.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:04 AM
That's where I found them from actually.... I'm hoping the dealer might be able to do a better job balancing them or finding out if the wheel(s) are bent or something... Think it could be an alignment issue?

Old 03-25-2004, 09:13 AM
cab2u is on a distinguished road
Either balancing, bent wheels, tire problem or suspension problem. Don't think it could be alignment.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Suspension problem?

Old 03-25-2004, 09:39 AM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
It's most likely your wheels... Whoever does you balancing should be able to tell you whats wrong. If you've changed your tires already, your rims are probably out of round. They'll just need to balance the culprits the best they can.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Banned
eride996 is on a distinguished road
what type of wheel. Are they hubcentric? if the the bore diameter is even off alittle it will vibrated after a couple miles of puting them on, even if you use tapered studs or bolts. they will balance correctly so that may not be the problem. and you tire or wheel guy would have told you if they were bent or not. when you put the wheel on your car's hub (no bolts) does it fit snug. if it doesn't that is more than likely where you problem is. you will then need a hub centric shim to make it fit snug. hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:09 AM
The wheels are Iforged Seneka's. Do a search on the for sale/wanted section for iforged seneka. those are the exact ones. When I put them on without the lug bolts, they fit pretty snug, so I'm lost as to what it could be. I'm wondering if the wheels are bent, would the vibration go away at certain speeds and show up at others or would it be a constant vibration?

Old 03-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Banned
vibration can come and go if the wheels do not fit snug on the hub. if they are bent the vibration should be pretty constant. i'm sure you put the stock back on to test if it is the suspension, which i highly doubt it would be the suspension.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:22 AM
82targa is on a distinguished road
just be careful. I can't remember where I read this before (I believe it was a review i found on google), but it said this vibration caused by bigger wheels can crach your windshield.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:25 AM
I'm hoping that I won't have to worry about it and eliminate it. Thanks for all the feedback so far...

Old 03-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Banned
no problem, there's nothing worse than feeling like you bought some bunk stuff for your car.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Know where I can get those shims at just in case I need them?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration at speed?