996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

GT3 Bypass Pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
GT3 Bypass Pipes

Good evening gents,

I am thinking about taking off the mufflers. Adding the GT3 Pipes. Anyone have some advice on this? What is the sound like? Is it worth it? Anyone have a slightly used set want to sell it?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Aron is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Do you like LOUD??

IMHO, there can be too much of a good thing. A friend and I dropped the mufflers in a '6-pack' project for fun. At times the sound was killer. But mostly it was just annoying. As we drove around, I kept flashing back to my old Baja Bug with the stinger pipe. Only amplified.

Unless there are baffles tucked in them to adjust the tone, I wouldn't recommend the bypass pipes for NA cars on the street. (I think Sharky has a set on his TT that sound good.) But then, if you're track-only I suspect the mufflers and cats would get dropped in favor of headers going straight back.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:26 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
A couple of guys on another board tried them, they both thought they were too loud, at least one guy already took 'em off. I think they are overpriced anyway, if you want something for track use have a muffler shop make a set, probably less than $30.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:48 PM
speedyellow996 is on a distinguished road
I have a pair of custom made ones that you can have for $100. I will tell you that they are very loud. Have you heard a GT3 race prepared car running on a track, if so that is what it sounds like. Remember you are going straight out of the cat with no muffler at all.

Let me know if you are interested. I am looking for pictures right now but probably need to take some this weekend.

-Matthew

Old 07-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Banned
bobc4s is on a distinguished road
Down side -They are way too loud for the street, you won't be able to hear yourself think and they will get the attention of any cop within a quarter mile.
Up side – You could be faster because you will be able to remove the entire stereo system because you will never be able to hear it. Weight savings of about 27 pounds