996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Has anyone replaced the subs in the stock Bose enclosure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
DallasC4S is on a distinguished road
Has anyone replaced the subs in the stock Bose enclosure?

I just bought a 2002 C4S (pic below for the picture police) which has the stock Bose subwoofer enclosure. I can't believe how horrible it sounds! For small woofers, the bass is incredibly muddy. I figured my first mod would be performance related, but now all I can think of is upgrading the audio.

I did have plans to add an amp and replace the box with a custom built one. However, last week I took the box apart and added Dynamat to the inside as an interim solution. I can't believe how much it helped! Still doesn't live up to my expectations, but it is night and day different and has me thinking that the stock enclosure might be salvageable.

I'm not looking for a system that makes the dishes rattle in the houses as I drive by. Just want something that is musical and accurate (not Bose). I'm wondering now if I can keep the stock enclosure and upgrade the subs and amp. (I like the idea of the stock look, and the reduced weight) However, the only 5.25" subs I can find are $500 each (Morel/Focal). Not out of the question if I know for sure that they will sound like $1,000 worth of subs. I'm guessing I'm not in uncharted waters here. Does anyone have any advice?

Here's what I'm looking at: (open to feedback)
- Pioneer AVIC-Z2 in-dash nav/DVD receiver
- Focal FP5.500 5 channel amp
- Focal 6.5" 165V3e 3 way components (dash & doors)
- Rear speakers?
- Subwoofers?

Old 07-08-2007, 11:04 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
From what I've read here and there (nothing link-worthy), focals are being used as the preferred replacement drivers for all speakers along with swapping out the amp for a better brand.
Focals are very good but do have quite a hefty price tag.

You can replace the bose sub cones with focals, but given that the bose speakers are matched up to the bose amp I'm not certain if any gains would be made from just dropping in the focals.

Apparently you can build a similar looking sub enclosure with 3 JL 6" subs.

I'm looking for more info myself and hopefully some DIY write-ups.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:55 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
i thought about replacing those but instead had my guys build me a custom box with a 10in jl sub behind the seats. the with seats up you dont even know there is a sub back there until you hear it. then when a show comes around, i just drop the seats and its SHOWTIME! ahahahaha, to me its perfect. my entire system is powered by a audison 6ch amp.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by JayFunk
i thought about replacing those but instead had my guys build me a custom box with a 10in jl sub behind the seats. the with seats up you dont even know there is a sub back there until you hear it. then when a show comes around, i just drop the seats and its SHOWTIME! ahahahaha, to me its perfect. my entire system is powered by a audison 6ch amp.
Thanks Jay. Let's see some pics! You have my attention.

Are you running the factory head unit, door speakers?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DallasC4S
Thanks Jay. Let's see some pics! You have my attention.

Are you running the factory head unit, door speakers?
i am actually running the Kenwood 7019 unit. the door, dash, and rear speakers are still factory but will be changing those out soon. it actually doesnt sound bad, but i want to go all the way with changing everything. they are amped so it helps. as for pics, i dont have anything resent so i hope this are ok. if not ill snap a few for you if you want more.

BTW, the box and the sides of the center console and center glove box are all wrapped in suede to match the headliner. also, there are RED LED's in the plexi and behind the deceptions logo. its all just for show. here ya go:

photo of the G Ride........

Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Jay, that is awesome! I love that box. What is it made out of? I'm assuming fiberglass due to the shape. Looks NICE. Great touch with the alacantra finish. Where did you have it made?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
yup- +1 for that, nice attention to detail and looks.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:01 AM
tweety is on a distinguished road
I replaced the stock sub with an 8" Kicker. The dude at this shop spent about 4 hours making this enclosure that was almost the same shape as the original one. Aside from locating the stock carpet to make it exact, it is pretty darn close. No pics as of yet-sorry.
The downside is the resin stink is a bit strong! While I like being somewhere when something is being glassed over, this is very hard to take first thing in the morning after the car has been sitting all night. I wonder how long before that smell dies off!?!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 AM
DallasC4S-

I just finished the install on my car.
I added the AVIC-Z2, the Kicker Sub, a JLAudio 500/5 amp, and left the rest stock.
The dude where I had the enclosure and sub done at says that there is no reason to change out the Bose setup unless you are trying to impress someone, you are an audiophile, or you are doing competitions. He went on to tell me that the amp I had in the car and the AVIC should be able to tune the speakers to how I like without any issue at all.
That being said, he didn't explain to me how much a pain it is to do this by myself. Adjusting the filters and gains and getting in/out of the car to do it. Another set of hands would have been helpful!
The Sub replacement wasn't by choice either. I don't remember what he said the sub pushed but it was very low ohm so it wouldn't work well or hardly at all. I think that it was less than 2ohm.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I have the Kenwood DNX-7100 and Bose, left everything stock w/ speakers and amp. Adding the Kenwood really improved the sound, and it is actually quite impressive.
The Kenwood let me tweak several parameters such as Q, front stage width, midbass, and the speaker-line output of 50w/ channel is driving the bose amp much harder increasing it's output clarity considerably.

I used to own a car audio shop for several years and built many competition systems, and I'm a general audio freak, so my point of reference for "good" is pretty high. On my personal 1-10 scale I would give it a solid 7, which really (IMO) is quite good for a mostly factory system.

Bass extension below 50hz is definitely missing due to small sub size, but that is expected. While it does sound very good right now, I am not sure how long the bose speakers will last before they crap out. we'll see.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 07-10-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks. More great info. You may have just saved me a bunch of money. I was planning speakers and amp first and then headunit. I may reverse the order of my purchases and see if I am happy without going with the full setup.

BTW, I noticed that you and Jay (above) both have the AC controls on the high side of the storage area. Did you buy a kit for this, or was it custom? How difficult was it to do. I'm pretty handy mechanically, but I get a little nervous cutting on things that can't be reversed.

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 AM
thank you gentlemen, i appreciate the comments

to answer your questions, the box was actually made by a friend who does this on the side. he is a close friend and builds cars in his spare time. what he actually does is signs and graphics for commerical and auto's. check out his site: www.x-tremegraphics.com

if your really were interested, i could have him make another one. PM if you like.

i do shows from time to time and i like to pay attenion to details. im am also going to do this month is wrap the bottom of the doors in suede also to match everything else, since this carpet is so ****ty. at the same time ill swap the door speakers out and paint the trim around it as well.

the best part about it is that when the seats are up, you cant really see the system at all.

i forgot to add also the amp is "floating" mounted in the front on top of plexi with red led's also mounted in it.

AS for the switch of the AC/Heater controls, I would like to say that i was the first one to have done that mod, but im sure others have done it before. Gator 911 or icemann633 on this board (keith, good guy) saw i post i put up and asked me how i did it. i wasnt much help as my boys did that for me, all i did was ask since i hated the position of it in the first place. its pretty much the same way that has been posted up, with a few minor tweeks. i also think p0rsche3 has posted up a few DYI's so he would be the man to ask.

hope this helps ya, and yes change out the head unit first and see how that sounds. maybe even add the amp to power all the speakers and see if that satisfies you.

Last edited by JayFunk; 07-10-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
When you move the AC down, there is a new trim frame that can be bought as well as a new and deeper pocket (comes from the boxster).
I'll try and find the part numbers during lunch unless you can wait until I get home tonight. I bought my stuff from a sponsor out in Oregon- Sunset Porsche. nearly half the price from our local Texas stealers.
No cutting aside from the new trim surround for the AVIC that you will need.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by DallasC4S
Thanks. More great info. You may have just saved me a bunch of money. I was planning speakers and amp first and then headunit. I may reverse the order of my purchases and see if I am happy without going with the full setup.

BTW, I noticed that you and Jay (above) both have the AC controls on the high side of the storage area. Did you buy a kit for this, or was it custom? How difficult was it to do. I'm pretty handy mechanically, but I get a little nervous cutting on things that can't be reversed.

Thanks for the input!
Yep, moving the AC controls does require some custom trim time with a dremel. DIY here.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...enwood+install

Old 07-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by tweety
When you move the AC down, there is a new trim frame that can be bought as well as a new and deeper pocket (comes from the boxster).
I'll try and find the part numbers during lunch unless you can wait until I get home tonight. I bought my stuff from a sponsor out in Oregon- Sunset Porsche. nearly half the price from our local Texas stealers.
No cutting aside from the new trim surround for the AVIC that you will need.
Is there in fact a trim avail for locating the AC in the upper slot of the lower console, and a mating lower pocket?
This would save a lot of trimming / modding for others wishing to do this, if you find part #'s please post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the subs in the stock Bose enclosure?