6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Brakes are squealing like a city bus! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/103010-brakes-squealing-like-city-bus.html)

MrTheKid 10-23-2007 11:39 AM

brembos always squeak, so do stop tech and also baers . .

mine squeak when COLD.... after running them and pusing them... the squeaking should cease!

speedoflight 10-23-2007 11:53 AM

not just TTs. brakes (steel) on some GT3's squeal as well. i have steel brakes. i've bedded it twice. car only have 400mi so far. dealer says to give it some time. other gt3 owners say i'm not driving hard enough (in stop-n-go traffic). hilarious

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t=brake+squeal

gradyex 10-23-2007 12:16 PM

Mine do the same (red steelies). I try and keep the dust to a minimum with a high pressure hose (not a power washer) + a wheel brush. Amazing the dust that comes out of these things but I am not complaining because they stop better than anything I have ever driven without fade during brisk driving around the twisties. I thought it was the Ceramics with this problem, looks like its the other way around!

jlee 10-23-2007 12:17 PM

My GT3 used to squeak pretty badly also. After a few sessions of very hard braking, the squeaks disappeared. Can't say this will work for everyone, but it should be worth a try.

E55AMG 10-23-2007 12:50 PM

5,500 miles on my PCCB's and not a peep (i'm sure I just jinxed myself LOL)

WesG 10-23-2007 01:33 PM

I have a 2007 Turbo with a bit over 1,000 miles. The brakes have squealled since the day I drove it home. I does drive me crazy and it is embarrasing. It occurs when I am rolling to a stop. I can make a few high speed panic stops and they will be quiet for a couple of hours. If it is damp outside, they do not squeal. I hope it goes away sometime soon. I have never had a car that the brakes sound like this. If anyone has a fix, I would really like to know.

BSM 10-23-2007 01:57 PM

Any techs here that can pipe in w/ some thoughts/solutions?

2thfixr 10-23-2007 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Al Norton (Post 1415148)
2thfixr,

I saw no mention on the thread as to what kind of pads you have. What are you running? I have Pagid Oranges that were bedded correctly on old rotors, and rarely have any squeeling noises. I, too, am a dentist. Seems to be a gaggle of us on this thread. We need a peep out of Vincent to round it out.

Stock big reds with stock pads and 650 miles on the car.

VincentDDS
JayKLA
Toothzilla
JoeKimDDS
Dr.Bill
PerioKid
+ others I'm sure

2thfixr 10-23-2007 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by imcarnuts (Post 1414713)
You think the high speed sounds bad to you, you should be on my end of the high speed. I'm NOT a dentist.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/chores022.gif

hilarioushilarioushilarious Sounds bad? No way! It's music to my ears.

vincentdds 10-23-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Al Norton (Post 1415148)
2thfixr,

I saw no mention on the thread as to what kind of pads you have. What are you running? I have Pagid Oranges that were bedded correctly on old rotors, and rarely have any squeeling noises. I, too, am a dentist. Seems to be a gaggle of us on this thread. We need a peep out of Vincent to round it out.

I am deaf so no problem here. J/K
My GT3 likes to squeal every now and then. I just slam hard on the brake at 100pmh activating the ABS and smoke all the tires. Works everytimes.

HUMMM 3 10-23-2007 10:02 PM

I wonder if this couldn't be fixed with the goop (don't ask me what kind of goop, but a brake shop guy would know.) that is applied to the back of the brake pad when they're being installed. The squealing noises are usually caused by vibration of the pads, and this can be mitigated with the application of this goop stuff.

BTW I had Brembo's on my M3 and have PCCB's on the turbo and no squealing noises. Certainly if you blast your pads with high pressure water you'll eliminate any "goop" that may have been applied on installation.

Don't know if this helps or makes sense to any of you, but it's my $.02 worth.:)

atomic80 10-23-2007 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by vincentdds (Post 1415736)
I am deaf so no problem here. J/K
My GT3 likes to squeal every now and then. I just slam hard on the brake at 100pmh activating the ABS and smoke all the tires. Works everytimes.

If you're deaf then what am I? hilarious

ANUBIS 10-24-2007 02:15 PM

every thime I pass by a train station I am not sure if its my car of the train doing that Noiiiiseee.... guess its normal... I dont even care.

luiscarlos 10-24-2007 07:26 PM

Pad compound is to hard...

turbonator 10-24-2007 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by HUMMM 3 (Post 1416606)
I wonder if this couldn't be fixed with the goop (don't ask me what kind of goop, but a brake shop guy would know.) that is applied to the back of the brake pad when they're being installed. The squealing noises are usually caused by vibration of the pads, and this can be mitigated with the application of this goop stuff.

yes, it's called anti-squeal compound.